cheddatom

Maybe you need to work more with amp sims? I never use them really. If i'm DIing an electric guitar just for a demo or something, i'll put it through a distortion plug-in on cubase, then EQ out the top and bottom to try and emulate a cab somewhat.

It's really worth micing up your cab though.

Does your other music sound ok on your shitty speakers? Maybe you have some headphones? You might have a half decent stereo around which you could use for monitoring instead. That's what I always did before I bought some ok monitors.

Maybe you need to work more with amp sims? I never use them really. If i'm DIing an electric guitar just for a demo or something, i'll put it through a distortion plug-in on cubase, then EQ out the top and bottom to try and emulate a cab somewhat.

It's really worth micing up your cab though.

Does your other music sound ok on your shitty speakers? Maybe you have some headphones? You might have a half decent stereo around which you could use for monitoring instead. That's what I always did before I bought some ok monitors.

It is difficult with the speakers, they're just £30 Sony ones that are designed for listening to mp3s and sound clips, not really the right thing for music making.. I will try the head phones.Cheers.

What about drum sampling and beat making etc. How does someone start doing that? Again, fairly cheap and easy to use as I'm rubbish.

• 2 months later...

Here's two of my Music Tech recordings. One's from a while ago but I thought I'd actually might as well get round to uploading the submitted version. The other one is the current one, only had time to record some piano, nothing else, not even cropped and there's one glaring mistake towards the end (I'm not a piano player)

They're both covers of Radiohead, next term in autumn we're doing a 3 track EP which I'm already planning with 3 original thingymabobs...

There There - Radiohead

http://soundcloud.com/deadstar029/there-there

Videotape (in progress) - Radiohead

http://soundcloud.com/deadstar029/videotape

Oh, and the person who I've ranted about before who keeps getting distinctions and I have no idea how, the one who got distinction for adding a bit of reverb to her guitar for a music tech performance when I got merit for MOTP, and who got distinction for recording her track out of tune without even realising and then thinking she could solve it with EQ, this is hers

http://soundcloud.com/deadstar029/01-track-01

Still so annoyed about getting the merit :indiff:

so, its nothing to worry about? its annoying.

No, it's a bug within Logic itself that has never been fixed. You could have be running an 8 core Mac Pro with more RAM than you'll ever need and still experience it.

"It's annoying" pretty much sums Logic in all honesty.

I can't see that last link, did you take it down?

And I know who it is :ninja:

Yeah I just took it down, I still have the mp3 if anyone wants a listen though? And who is it :eek:

EDIT: Also, I'm always curious about what other people think of my playing, I mean I play mainly guitar, not so much piano (just easy stuff on it), and I'm always critical of other people (not necessarily negative, just critical), but I don't feel like I'm in a position to judge myself (I have There There and Videotape on my soundcloud if anyone wants a listen :awesome:) so...

I can crank but I don't have the room to have it all together so it makes sense to just record stuff to the computer (As it'll only be ideas as opposed to full band things) and with it having effects in it it just seems a good option, and they're cheap on Ebay.

yeh, I think you can turn off the modelling if you want to use the effects with your amp as well.

If you already have a DI box or an appropriate pedal, you can plug that straight into your interface and use a free VST modeller or just do your own EQ/Comp, so that would save the money

Wasn't gonna post it on here, but then the waveform looked all pretty so I thought why the fuck not

Not happy with the middle section. First half is played one bar ahead of where it should be, and sounds meh. Drum sounds surprisingly shit on my computer's speakers here...no depth to it. The guitar outro sounded awesome, but then you can't hear it properly...

still a lot to do and redo

urgh do not like the middle bit

Well that's Year 12 Music Tech done (almost, couple more assignments, but no more recording).

To those who remotely care...voila

http://soundcloud.com/deadstar029/sets/year-12-assignments/

feel free to flame/politely compliment/harshly criticise/worship them :)

radiohead!

your version of videotape reminds me of the Skins series 1 + 2 theme. especially with the reversed thing and piano bits. awesome wave form!

they are quite repetitive/boring though - crying out for vocals!

i never knew you could do covers for a level music tech... :$

radiohead!

your version of videotape reminds me of the Skins series 1 + 2 theme. especially with the reversed thing and piano bits. awesome wave form!

they are quite repetitive/boring though - crying out for vocals!

i never knew you could do covers for a level music tech... :$

Aha I did think the waveform looked quite cool. At first I was gonna get someone to do some vocals, but for the first one (There There) I never bothered asking anyone, and for the second I asked a girl and she said she'd do some, but then we ran out of time and tests and stuff...

Could always do some after the holidays I guess but for now they're just instrumentals

And yeah, for our Music Tech course you can. Next year I think we do a 3 track EP or something where I'm gonna do 'original' recordings,so expect me to be spamming that this Autumn. Just that There There was my first ever recording so was easy to start off with a song I knew, and Videotape I needed to rush

Something I've wondered about for ages...

Why is it in more amateur recordings the electric guitar sounds so blatantly amateur when in professional recordings it sounds so much better. Like, I mean obviously there's the factor that one of them is a professional recording, but it's really apparent with guitars.

For example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyTIJCQEWps&feature=related

compared to Showbiz onwards...

Is it because of recording technique, like better microphone placement, or the quality of microphone? Or something else

Archived