cheddatom

Right, I'm doing music tech A level at the moment, and we're now coming to the end of Assignment 1, which required recording an acoustic track. I did Radiohead's There There...and it's not quite finished (still got to redo some EQ'ing and stuff),and there are a few mistakes (playing and recording, but hey it's my first time recording anything). I'm content with it, least compared to some other people shocking recordings in my class...they still can't tune a guitar :stunned:

Any feedback would be much appreciated

http://soundcloud.com/deadstar029/there-there-the-boney-king-of

Right, I'm doing music tech A level at the moment, and we're now coming to the end of Assignment 1, which required recording an acoustic track. I did Radiohead's There There...and it's not quite finished (still got to redo some EQ'ing and stuff),and there are a few mistakes (playing and recording, but hey it's my first time recording anything). I'm content with it, least compared to some other people shocking recordings in my class...they still can't tune a guitar :stunned:

Oh hello the 60's!

Need to pan less heavily. In fact, mix levels & EQ in mono where possible, then pan. Stick a hall reverb on those drums as well.

That sounds pretty damn good to my untrained ears :LOL: How are you enjoying your Music Tech course? I'll be taking it next year if I pass the audition and get the grades :happy:

Why does it sound so bad when I record guitar stuff on my computer? Is it the speakers? Or the interface? Or am I just rubbish?

What is the set up?

It could be the speakers you're monitoring on, but your other music sounds good on them, right? Maybe you need moar EQ

That sounds pretty damn good to my untrained ears :LOL: How are you enjoying your Music Tech course? I'll be taking it next year if I pass the audition and get the grades :happy:

It's my favourite subject that I'm taking (but then again my other subjects are math, physics and geography..). At my college we mainly focus on recording for the first year, then some live sound stuff the next year, however we don't do much live performances or anything, and it's not necessary to record our own material.

There's another college called Haywards Heath where a lot of my friends went who have an impressive music department and their course is totally different. They do live stuff and performances all the time, and write their own songs, but not much recording. They have their own performance hall as well.

I do enjoy it though, I've learnt a lot already and it remains the subject that I'm most passionate about :)

It's my favourite subject that I'm taking (but then again my other subjects are math, physics and geography..). At my college we mainly focus on recording for the first year, then some live sound stuff the next year, however we don't do much live performances or anything, and it's not necessary to record our own material.

There's another college called Haywards Heath where a lot of my friends went who have an impressive music department and their course is totally different. They do live stuff and performances all the time, and write their own songs, but not much recording. They have their own performance hall as well.

I do enjoy it though, I've learnt a lot already and it remains the subject that I'm most passionate about :)

I'm taking physics, chemistry, maths and further maths with it, but I will probably change my mind about doing chemistry and just go for the other 4. I guess it would be better to do it as it would broaden my options for uni, but I don't know if I'll be able to cope with the extra work :(

I'm really excited about Music tech though. I'm going to Tauntons, and I've heard nothing but good things about their music department, and have been there several times for recording and performing and really like the look of it. I've really only developed a passion for music since I started playing guitar last September, but I've improved a lot, and now music is by far my favorite subject at school. I take it there's quite a lot of theory involved? My mock theory results were pretty dire, along with everyone else in my class, so I've started taking grade 5 theory lessons as recommended by the college so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem by the time I get round to the real exam. The only real worries I have are about the audition since I don't have any instrument grades. According to my guitar teacher I'm working beyond a grade 5 level, but I don't know what I should expect when I go to do it. Is it just prepare a piece, play it and get judged or do they test you on sight reading and theory ect.?

I'm taking physics, chemistry, maths and further maths with it, but I will probably change my mind about doing chemistry and just go for the other 4. I guess it would be better to do it as it would broaden my options for uni, but I don't know if I'll be able to cope with the extra work :(

I'm really excited about Music tech though. I'm going to Tauntons, and I've heard nothing but good things about their music department, and have been there several times for recording and performing and really like the look of it. I've really only developed a passion for music since I started playing guitar last September, but I've improved a lot, and now music is by far my favorite subject at school. I take it there's quite a lot of theory involved? My mock theory results were pretty dire, along with everyone else in my class, so I've started taking grade 5 theory lessons as recommended by the college so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem by the time I get round to the real exam. The only real worries I have are about the audition since I don't have any instrument grades. According to my guitar teacher I'm working beyond a grade 5 level, but I don't know what I should expect when I go to do it. Is it just prepare a piece, play it and get judged or do they test you on sight reading and theory ect.?

Further Maths is a bitch....14 hours a week :noey:

There isn't a lot of theory involved with my course at least. I've got two teachers, one of them we're doing the whole recording side of stuff with and we get set assignments across the year to do with recording and mixing. The other we do listening stuff with, like I just had to write a 2 page analysis of an Oasis song about all music-y stuff (texture, timbre, melody, recording techniques etc.)

And I never had to audition to get in, no-one in my class did cos they all did music GCSE so the teacher knows they're capable (although tbh I still don't understand how some people got in). There was one girl who had to audition because she didn't do GCSE so she just sang and played guitar to the teacher and got accepted. I doubt they'd test you much on sight reading or theory (I'm one of the only people to be able to read music full stop at my school, even though everyone else has been doing music for 5 years :stunned:)

Further Maths is a bitch....14 hours a week :noey:

There isn't a lot of theory involved with my course at least. I've got two teachers, one of them we're doing the whole recording side of stuff with and we get set assignments across the year to do with recording and mixing. The other we do listening stuff with, like I just had to write a 2 page analysis of an Oasis song about all music-y stuff (texture, timbre, melody, recording techniques etc.)

And I never had to audition to get in, no-one in my class did cos they all did music GCSE so the teacher knows they're capable (although tbh I still don't understand how some people got in). There was one girl who had to audition because she didn't do GCSE so she just sang and played guitar to the teacher and got accepted. I doubt they'd test you much on sight reading or theory (I'm one of the only people to be able to read music full stop at my school, even though everyone else has been doing music for 5 years :stunned:)

Not being able to read music :eek: I learned that in year 5 when I had compulsory clarinet lessons :stunned: I've been told I will have to take an audition as I have no grades, but I'm predicted an A* for GCSE music so hopefully getting in shouldn't be too much of a problem considering there's not much performance. Good that there's not too much theory involved then, I'd much rather be actually doing things than writing about how and why we do things (OCR IT is a fucking joke for that :noey:)

Not being able to read music :eek: I learned that in year 5 when I had compulsory clarinet lessons :stunned: I've been told I will have to take an audition as I have no grades, but I'm predicted an A* for GCSE music so hopefully getting in shouldn't be too much of a problem considering there's not much performance. Good that there's not too much theory involved then, I'd much rather be actually doing things than writing about how and why we do things (OCR IT is a fucking joke for that :noey:)

I learnt clarinet from year 4, clarinet fucking pwns :cool:

apart from the fact I dropped it first chance I got in year 7

If you get an A* it should be fine. And I know about IT, the work is so easy, then it's 10 pages explaining how and why you did it :LOL: I could never be arsed with explaining how I did one excel document over the course of a whole term and ended up with 0/120 marks for coursework and dropped it a week before the exam

I was considering going to Haywards Heath and I think they do BTECs there instead of AS/A Level courses.

The audition will be like ''can you catch this beanbag?'' he'll throw it at you, and if you catch it, you're in! You get 3 chances.

If you plan to go to university consider your options though, not that it's news but some subjects are ''soft'' whether us students like it or not. If you're a multi-instrument player and are pretty good, doing music there's always a shortage of musicians to actually record I find, good ones with a tolerance, so you could see more studio time than the music tech majors because of it haha :awesome:

The audition will be like ''can you catch this beanbag?'' he'll throw it at you, and if you catch it, you're in! You get 3 chances.

If you plan to go to university consider your options though, not that it's news but some subjects are ''soft'' whether us students like it or not. If you're a multi-instrument player and are pretty good, doing music there's always a shortage of musicians to actually record I find, good ones with a tolerance, so you could see more studio time than the music tech majors because of it haha :awesome:

Shit, I suck at catching :facepalm:

I guess you're right about that. I don't think I'm skilled enough with any instrument to be attempting Music though :( I'll definitely keep playing through college (and hopefully the rest of my life) so if I manage to get a job in a studio I could always play as well. Do artists look for things like A levels/degrees when their trying to find musicians then? My uncle never studied music at school, nor did he ever go to college or uni, and has still made a decent living teaching/playing guitar. He also said to me once 'learn an instrument, and you will always be able to make a living', probably true too considering the amount of change you see in some busker's caps :eek: Learning how to record is something I've always wanted to learn though, so even if it doesn't end up getting me a job at least I will have the knowledge :happy: and I'll have two sciences and further maths to fall back on too if all goes to plan :rolleyes:

Just my guitar plugged into the Inspire 1394.

That's into my computer with Cubase 5 and then some cheapish speakers because I can't afford good ones.

It could be the amp simulators with cubase aren't that great.

What are some good speakers I could consider buying that wont break the bank?

I would rather mic up my amp but space restricts me.

What is the set up?

It could be the speakers you're monitoring on, but your other music sounds good on them, right? Maybe you need moar EQ

Archived