cheddatom

Well I'm most likely getting a usb mic, anyone got any suggestions?

And the drummer in my band wants just 2 mics for recording drums, if we have 2 usb mics can you use them both simultaneously on the same program, since they both have their own independant soundcards? or would he have to get an audio interface?

Try dogs that never shut up, Trees being cut down by neighbours, neighbour with workshop, the odd truck every hour that can rattle the house, being near a pool filter, loud air conditioners, brother who has his music up way too loud and loud mothers :LOL:

Mind you, I put the amp real quiet when recording anyway just so I don't make too much noise either. It's just my room/garage. Most concerns I have with noise are generally vocal recordings anyway and when that happens, just try the bathroom.

Isolation cab?

also...

So, What interface would you guys recommend for general recording of an amp?

2 inputs ideally but 1 would be fine too...

...I put the amp real quiet when recording anyway...

There'syour problem really. Amps never sound good at low levels anyway. Record it at a half decent level and you immidiately get rid of most of your noise (you are mic'ing right next to the speakers right?).

To be fair, for vocals, acoustic performances etc. I really empathise - it's kind of impossible to do it in most homes.

Well I'm most likely getting a usb mic, anyone got any suggestions?

And the drummer in my band wants just 2 mics for recording drums, if we have 2 usb mics can you use them both simultaneously on the same program, since they both have their own independant soundcards? or would he have to get an audio interface?

It will depend on the mics. I've no idea, but I doubt you could use more than one at once.

Try dogs that never shut up, Trees being cut down by neighbours, neighbour with workshop, the odd truck every hour that can rattle the house, being near a pool filter, loud air conditioners, brother who has his music up way too loud and loud mothers :LOL:

Mind you, I put the amp real quiet when recording anyway just so I don't make too much noise either. It's just my room/garage. Most concerns I have with noise are generally vocal recordings anyway and when that happens, just try the bathroom.

:rolleyes:

You need to learn how to use microphones... appropriate polar pattern, placement and so on.

:rolleyes:

You need to learn how to use microphones... appropriate polar pattern, placement and so on.

Shh, my little USB mic can't handle anything else. :LOL: most of my noise complaints are in regard to acoustic acts anyway and then when I decide to amp it up, the neighbours have a nice rant to the police :$

If I was doing srs recording which I do on ocassion, I go to a studio and do it there. No point recording in a paper thin garage that is too suspect to noise.

If you're recording guitar/bass get an isolation cab.

Don't. The interaction with the room is all part of the sound of a mic'ed amp. Something lost on a lot of amp sims.

If noise if an issue, smother it in pillows and blankets and other stuff, but try and put bits of wood in there for there to be some reflections, otherwise you get a really dull sound.

Got around to using the interface and... it was lagging my recordings :stunned:

I thought I went out of time, so I recorded the individual sections. it sounded okay but then I decided to just play over the top of that and it went out of time. Very strange behaviour. My mate now has it again and just said he is having the same issues and he is a human metronome too.

I've posted about this a few times, but I think i'm finally getting forced into the situation...

My PC is old. I built it for unit about 7 years ago, and since then i've added in 3 M-Audio PCI soundcards. I'm getting to the point where is can no longer handle what I need to do. I'm pretty sure it's processing power i'm lacking on, but i'm posting here to ask for advice, not make assumptions. The processor is an althlon mobile overclocked to 2.3Ghz (ish). There's 3 Gb DDR1 and a shitty old AGP gfx card. The hard drives are IDE and not particularly great.

I don't actually have any problems when tracking, and i've recorded 20 simultaneous channels with this set up before. On the "VST Performance" bar in Cubase, it's only when I skip along a track that the disc usage maxes out, where as the CPU usage maxes out whenever I get really complicated with my mixes IE lots of automation and plug-ins.

I've been thinking about getting a presonus liquidmix. I can add a firewire PCI card to my existing system, and then use this to take some of the load off my CPU. That would be £150 investment though.

Do I add external effects processing, or do I save the money to try and build a new system?

If I build new, do I need a dual core CPU? Quad core? Faster RAM? More RAM?

I have a few PCs lying around here, and I think I could get something like a dual core 2 GHz DDR2 system going with no outlay.

the problem with building an entirely new system is that you can't really get new MBs with more than 2 PCI slots. Ideally i'd like 4 or 5 PCI slots, 3 for the sound cards and then at least one spare in case i'd like an AUD card or the like.

Can you tell i'm confused?

best tip for killing ambient noise, is killing the ambient noise

if its electrical equipment, turn it off, if its your rig, move the mic and whatever its recording to a further distance/seperate room

if its natural, duvets duvets pillows and duvets at the source! :)