cheddatom

And an SM57 is a mic?

Yeah.

Shure SM57. Other popular mics... Shure SM58, Sennheiser MD421, MD441, E609, Electro-Voice RE20, AKG C414, Neumann U47, U48, U87, U89, AEA R84, Coles 4038, Royer 121 Beyer M130...

Some people will use more one mic to mix the different sounds or more options when mixing.

The main thing is where you position the mics, there's no correct place.

Yeah.

Shure SM57. Other popular mics... Shure SM58, Sennheiser MD421, MD441, E609, Electro-Voice RE20, AKG C414, Neumann U47, U48, U87, U89, AEA R84, Coles 4038, Royer 121 Beyer M130...

Some people will use more one mic to mix the different sounds or more options when mixing.

The main thing is where you position the mics, there's no correct place.

Hm, weird, I though that you would hook the guitar up to a computer somehow...

Hm, weird, I though that you would hook the guitar up to a computer somehow...

No, the microphone goes to the computer. With some amps it is possible to run out from the amplifier to whatever you're recording with, but you need a speaker simulation, which is never the same and all are limited to mic'ing an amp.

can can plug your guitar directly into a recording device, such as a computer, but you would generally want to add an amp model of some sort, or at least some compression and EQ to try and emulate what a guitar amp does to the signal coming out of your guitar.

can can plug your guitar directly into a recording device, such as a computer, but you would generally want to add an amp model of some sort, or at least some compression and EQ to try and emulate what a guitar amp does to the signal coming out of your guitar.

I thought that that was the way to go, hooking it to a computer through an amp... But obviously not!

Thanks guys :)

• 4 months later...

I've started recording drum takes for the 2nd Creep Joint album. I'm not decided on exactly which cymbals to use yet as i've managed to break even more. Anyway, I set up a pair of 57s at about shoulder height, about 5m apart, and 5m back from the kit. Fuck me. The sound of just that pair with a tiny bit of compression is amasing. It's transformed my kick sound.

So now i'm getting into fucking about - what else should I try before I start serious tracking?

• 1 month later...

Hopefully this will get a better response...

My recording PC is extremely important to me. I built it 5 years ago and i've only ever had minor issues. I use M-Audio Delta cards (two 1010lts and a 44) and Cubase. Last night, Cubase kept saying that it couldn't initialise the ASIO driver when it started up. I thought i'd try switching to my on-board card (nvidia) and back again, but when I went to switch back it wouldn't let me, saying something like "cannot initialise ASIO 0/0".

Windows seems fine, but I tried a system restore and it's still the same. The cards look fine in Device Manager. I tried re-seating them anyway.

Any ideas?!

Hopefully this will get a better response...

My recording PC is extremely important to me. I built it 5 years ago and i've only ever had minor issues. I use M-Audio Delta cards (two 1010lts and a 44) and Cubase. Last night, Cubase kept saying that it couldn't initialise the ASIO driver when it started up. I thought i'd try switching to my on-board card (nvidia) and back again, but when I went to switch back it wouldn't let me, saying something like "cannot initialise ASIO 0/0".

Windows seems fine, but I tried a system restore and it's still the same. The cards look fine in Device Manager. I tried re-seating them anyway.

Any ideas?!

coincidence...

same happened with me and a synth programme...

it worked fine for 2 days then it started saying the same thing as you...

computers only 7 months old too...

I asked the same thing on the bass messageboard. I've had some help, but everyone just comes up with the same as me.

I need to repair the drivers/registry associated with the soundcards. I'm going to try and do it without a format.

EDIT: but if that doesn't do it, it's a hardware issue I guess.

I asked the same thing on the bass messageboard. I've had some help, but everyone just comes up with the same as me.

I need to repair the drivers/registry associated with the soundcards. I'm going to try and do it without a format.

EDIT: but if that doesn't do it, it's a hardware issue I guess.

hmmm, will check/update my drivers later today then...

All sorted. I managed to re-install windows without formatting. Pretty fucking sweet! I didn't know how to do it until yesterday.

I'm not no about installing over the top of another installation, there's an option which resets your drivers and registry to how they are after the initial install, but leaves all programs intact.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I'm basically a recording noob and have a few basic questions.

I basically wanna record my guitar with a mic (SM57 seems to be the choice) and I was wondering what I would need to connect it to my computer. I've heard people recommend audio interfaces or something, but I was just wondering what you guys did? I just don't wanna buy something and realise there was a much cheaper option, thanks :)

If you want to mic up your guitar amp, then you need a mic pre-amp to amplify the mic signal. It's highly unlikely that the pre-amp built into your shitty on-board soundcard will do the job.

Once the mic signal has been amplified to line level, you then need to get it into your PC. The line input on your shitty on-board soundcard might just do that satisfactorily.

Given that it's highly unlikely it'll be good, the general recommendation is to buy an audio interface (another name for soundcard) with a built in mic pre-amp. This gives you all you need in one box.

You will probably get some condensor mics at some point, so get one with phantom power. Also, you'll probably want to record more than one mic at some point. To do this, your audio interface will need multiple inputs that can be used simultaneously.

It might be that your budget makes most of these decisions for you!

when I was a child with no job, I used to use my pedals plugged straight into the line in, and for the odd mic'd recording I would use a PC speaker backwards plugged into the pedal.

Ah k thanks, makes a lot more sense now, are they're any recommended audio interfaces or is it just up to me? And I've tried the direct line in way haha, but using a friends crappy ipod headphone mic gave me better results :p

So you reckon I could get the same results and save a bunch by plugging it straight into a DAW and boosting the gain? Hmmmm

And are usb mics any good, or should I just stick to the mic to audio interface path?

USB mics are a mic and audio interface all in one. I don't think you could record more than one at once, but if you just need one channel, go for it.

You don't need a mic pre as such, there are gain plugins available for free which you can use to raise the gain of the signal within a DAW.

Are they any good? Are you really suggesting that I could make an XLR to mini-jack plug and record some guitar through a 57 into my on-board soundcard, and it'd sound good?

Are they any good? Are you really suggesting that I could make an XLR to mini-jack plug and record some guitar through a 57 into my on-board soundcard, and it'd sound good?

I've not tried it with microphones, but if I DI guitar, I won't add any gain from a preamp and use Sonalksis Free G, as some amp sims like a loud signal, some work better not doing anything and if I wanted to run out to a guitar amp, adding 20dB of gain will result in a massively hot signal going to the amp... seems pointless adding it just to take it away afterwards!

What I should be getting off a friend to quickly whip up something soon. I've used it before and it's great.

main.jpg

I use it after my amp preamp and I am pretty happy with the sound of the recordings too. Alternatively I can mic my amp up but I generally don't like that with the amount of noise around.

hi all, so i've heard audio from a lot of you and, is it all done at home? And if so how do you all make it sound so good and unflawed? is it just expensive equipment?

I normally plug my guitar into the interface and record that way, but i know some mic up an amp. What's the best way?

What sort of equipment will i need to make it sound crisp and clear? I'm guessing some kind of mixing desk?

Anything else?

Also, I don't have a band because i'm lame. What are drum sequencers like? What's an ideal one I should buy to be able to get some decent beats?

There's a general recording thread one thread below this.

I prefer mic'ing amps...doesn't sound quite the same direct. It's just different really. What are you using now exactly?

my recording setup is pretty boring, but I think I get some decent sounds out of it. You need a good interface, mics, and the mics positioned properly to begin with... I think?? then there's the software....can't really comment on that, since I haven't even figured out most of logic yet

I use a Profire 610. No idea about on board soundcards! :LOL:

In that case I would suggest Mr Schmoo does need an interface with at least one pre.

Alternatively I can mic my amp up but I generally don't like that with the amount of noise around.

That sounds bad, do you live next to a motorway?!?

Try dogs that never shut up, Trees being cut down by neighbours, neighbour with workshop, the odd truck every hour that can rattle the house, being near a pool filter, loud air conditioners, brother who has his music up way too loud and loud mothers :LOL:

Mind you, I put the amp real quiet when recording anyway just so I don't make too much noise either. It's just my room/garage. Most concerns I have with noise are generally vocal recordings anyway and when that happens, just try the bathroom.

Archived