cheddatom

Is there no way to have a direct feed of the sound from the amp straight to the computer? Using a microphone could result in bad quality, surely?

if you have a decent audio interface, a half decent pre-amp, and a half decent mic, you should be able to get a good sound.

Without spending any money, you could DI from your amp's pre-amp if it has an effects send and then EQ out all the nasty top end that your cab normally does for you - just connect a jack with adaptors from the effects send (or line out if it has one) to the line in on your computer. It won't sound amazing but it's good enough for learning. Reaper is a good free DAW you could record into.

Be careful with your amp though - if it's all valve you don't want to run it without a cab plugged in.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on about a new band a while ago, we did one gig and I was going to post the video - i've still not got the video, but here are our studio recordings. We just recorded a couple of practises and then added some audio samples on top (samples from videos, and I think 1 guitar overdub)

I'd be very interested to hear opinions on the sound

No opinions on the music please, I know it's cool as fuck, I don't need the reassurance.

soundcloud.com/kilta

I was on about a new band a while ago, we did one gig and I was going to post the video - i've still not got the video, but here are our studio recordings. We just recorded a couple of practises and then added some audio samples on top (samples from videos, and I think 1 guitar overdub)

I'd be very interested to hear opinions on the sound

No opinions on the music please, I know it's cool as fuck, I don't need the reassurance.

soundcloud.com/kilta

I'd highpass the guitar a bit more (it sounds a bit muddy/bassy for my taste) and then i would add a bit more highs to the bass. It feels like that your clean bass playing will disappear on shittier devices (i wish i could listen to it on more speakers (i would try it out on shit ipod stly earbuds and mobile speakers) but i can't download it and basically every computer i have access to is fucked up now)

Then i would compress the absolute shit out of the sub 200hz freqs of the bass with a multiband comp. Because they are a bit all over the place but maybe my headphone is shit. (On a Senn. HD555 some of your bass notes are louder than the others to my ears. But only the body/root notes of the signal, the dirty side is probably compressed enough by the distortion itself.)

Maybe it would make sense to remake the bass part in midi to see how a stable (as in it is equally loud regardless the notes) synth sound would compare to the clean part of your bass signal. (basses does not really need dynamics i think)

(more prominently from 0:10 to 0:40 in "Thing" or at 1:57-58 in "The optimist" a totally loud bass note appears out of fucking nowhere)

Also i am so used to sounds coming from the sides of the stereo space that i have found guitars panned to the center a bit weird. And then there would be more room for the distorted side of your bass signal in the middle if the guitars would be multitracked and panned to the sides. (btw i don't like the guitar's tone but that is subjective)

I totally like the drums though.

(btw i am planning on making a cover soon, it would be cool if you would critique the shit out of it regarding eq, compression and levels)

EDIT: I listened it on my mobilephone but with the same headphones and the bass issue becomes kinda irrelevant on that device because the phone cant drive my headphone hard enough so the low bass gets rolled off so you can't really hear the problems with it.

EDIT2: it sounds pretty good with the phones built in speaker

Guest Batman.

Chedda I can't say much about your recording skills as I don't know enough about recording yet to pass judgement, but your music is great.

Thanks for the in depth critique DPTP!

Because it's a live jam we didn't want to double up guitars etc. I tried to widen them with some delay but I guess it's not working.

I was trying to leave the bass feeling quite "lively" but I think you're right about compressing the lows, i'll remember that for next time.

I do try to listen and comment when people post regarding sound, but I don't always see everything 'cos I only come on at work

I'll give Chedda's a listen in a bit

One thing I always find with my recordings is that the guitar parts always end up really bassy sounding. The clean bits sound well balanced, but distortion is always very bassy, and if I use EQ to boost the treble it ends up hissy

Doesn't help that on my amp middle and bass are actually really low with treble high. I guess my guitar is just not very bright

There's a difference between "too bassy" and "dull". If your guitar tone is missing high frequency content, turning up the highs might help. If your guitar tone is too bassy, turning up the highs probably won't. Obviously there's a middle ground, especially if you're pushing a compressor or some form of distortion as that'll react differently to the frequency content on the input.

My point was that if guitars are too bassy, if they sound boomy, you need to turn down the bass not turn up the treble IMO

• 1 month later...

We had to do a short thing at uni once where we over dubbed dialogue as well as adding all the sound effects and a bit of "mood music" - just chords on synths and a couple of rythms

The dialogue was deffinitely the hardest bit. The sound effects (I guess the diegetic ones) are the most fun. The music side - well I didn't really pay much attention to that, which I should have. It's a total cop out to have minor chords on a synth pad for the sad section, drum rythms for tension, major chord synth for happy ending.

That is my entire experience. It was deffinitely fun though, is this a new job or something?

• 4 weeks later...

How do you get a tight timing while recording tracks?

When i am playing along the full track while wearing headphones my timing is much weaker than when i am playing along a song coming from real speakers, i think headphones take away a lot more of my focus than real speakers. (i wear them only on one ear during tracking)

Should i feed only click tracks into my headphone?

In that meatball stuff i posted in the General Spam Thread i had to slice up all of my tracks and nudge like half of my notes into the "right" place.

I know this is a well known practice but when i am play all by myself my timing is tighter. (without listening to stuff in headphones)

are you sure that it's tighter when you're not wearing headphones? Try it without - there may be bleed of your monitor mix onto the mic but it would be enough to tell if you're right or not.

If you were talking about pitching then I would go on about EQ and reverb and compression but you're not... It makes no difference to me with timing, it makes no sense really

Sorry to say but a lot of people don't realise how off their timing is until they record and you may be one of them

Sorry to say but a lot of people don't realise how off their timing is until they record and you may be one of them

Yeah hearing the recorded tracks in the DAW for the first time was almost shocking. They are not that bad on their own but when you got 4 of these slightly off tracks playing at the same time the whole thing becomes a mess. And this is just 4 tracks.

I still feel like that listening to backing tracks through headphones takes away my focus more than playing along with music coming from real speakers. It is like i can't focus both on my playing and on the backing track.

I gonna try it with real speakers soon.

I use one ear off for singing or occasionally for playing without latency, if i'm using a set up with latency

If you're double-tracking guitar parts, deffinitely mute the other tracks while you play. If they still don't line up it's just your playing.

i use one ear to be able to hear the sound coming from my amp.

i could set up a preamp/backing track mix on the interface but it's headphone out is 3,5 while my headphones are 6,3 and all my adapters are shit.

btw for the backing track is it better to use drums/click only or use the full mix? (i mean when i am re-recording an existing song for practice)

Archived