cheddatom

Reaper. I've gotten some other DAWs for free with other gear related stuff I've bought before, but they were the really basic versions of things like cubase and pro tools, so I just stuck with Reaper.

Good enough for my needs, all I do at home is record vocals and guitars so I don't need any fancy stuff. Plus it's practically free :D

I love the idea of Reaper but still not spent much time with it. I'm so used to Cubase that I get frustrated by being slowed down with new software, but that's just the normal learning process i suppose

I stopped using Cubase as I only know one person that uses it (To my knowledge anyway).

I stopped using Cubase as I only know one person that uses it (To my knowledge anyway).

Not many pro studios run it although the one decent studio in Stoke does. A lot of colleges i've seen are running cubase.

It's all the same IMO, just what you get used to.

Out of all of the DAWs i've used Pro Tools has been the most intuitive for me.

I want to start doing some covers and recording my own things and am a complete newbie to it so I know absolutely nothing about recording. So I guess I'm asking for a general "How To Start Recording" post :$

I plan to just record guitar, maybe some keyboard eventually and I've got Windows 7. Apart from that I have no idea what other information you might need.

Guest Batman.
I want to start doing some covers and recording my own things and am a complete newbie to it so I know absolutely nothing about recording. So I guess I'm asking for a general "How To Start Recording" post :$

I plan to just record guitar, maybe some keyboard eventually and I've got Windows 7. Apart from that I have no idea what other information you might need.

I'd start off with a free program called Audacity, and record using a microphone placed close to your amp. What do you have to record with?

Buy a USB microphone from eBay (even just a Rock Band/Guitar Hero mic will do), download Audacity and you're away :)

They aren't the best recordings you'll ever make, but for the cost of a cheap Rock Band mic (I imagine you can probably get one for about £5) they can sound pretty good. I did this cover with the very same setup:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Buy a USB microphone from eBay (even just a Rock Band/Guitar Hero mic will do), download Audacity and you're away :)

this. I'm sending back my microphone (I got a condenser instead of a dynamic not knowing it needed a power supply) and once I get it I'm recording like this

Guest Batman.
Is there no way to have a direct feed of the sound from the amp straight to the computer? Using a microphone could result in bad quality, surely?

Microphone captures the quality much better IMO. It's what most bands do too.

Some people like to use programs such as Guitar Rig to connect guitar directly to their computer though, but it can get expensive without using torrents :LOL:

Is there no way to have a direct feed of the sound from the amp straight to the computer? Using a microphone could result in bad quality, surely?

Some amps have usb ports but generally once your mic is of decent quality and is in the right place it'll sound good

Archived