Yes it is just you, while alot of people do not agree with the setlists, in terms of live energy some are saying these have been the best gigs of their lives.

+1

The only thing I noticed really was when Matt cocked up Take a Bow at Bern, but no, overall they've come over to me as very happy and energetic at these gigs and the small French gig, the festival gigs and Milan particularly so from memory. Milan was immense. A lot has to do with the audience. They feed off the audience.

Has anyone esle noticed that something seems a bit... "off" with the boys (especially with Matt) since they started the European Stadium/Arena tour?

I've been following Muse's gigs, tv and radio appearances, and interviews on Youtube since I missed them at Madison Square Garden here in NYC this past March. I understand its not the same as seeing Muse live, but even in those video clip, their playfulness, electricity, and power come through. But in viewing the vid clips from the recent gigs at the Swiss, Italian, and French stadiums something really seems wrong, particularly with Matt.

IDK, maybe is just me, or maybe its just not enough vid clips to really judge by, or just the poor quality of most of the vid clips, but something just doesn't "feel" right.

Certainly on the arena tour something looked like it could've been amiss, but on the festival/stadium stuff they've been doing in Europe this summer they've looked like they're having lots of fun playing and have sounded great, particulary in pro-shots and the good stuff from the festival camcorder army.

Has anyone esle noticed that something seems a bit... "off" with the boys (especially with Matt) since they started the European Stadium/Arena tour?

I've been following Muse's gigs, tv and radio appearances, and interviews on Youtube since I missed them at Madison Square Garden here in NYC this past March. I understand its not the same as seeing Muse live, but even in those video clip, their playfulness, electricity, and power come through. But in viewing the vid clips from the recent gigs at the Swiss, Italian, and French stadiums something really seems wrong, particularly with Matt.

IDK, maybe is just me, or maybe its just not enough vid clips to really judge by, or just the poor quality of most of the vid clips, but something just doesn't "feel" right.

You must be kidding!

I was at the Stade de Suisse and both Stade de France gigs and they were absolutely fantastic! I'm not talking about the setlists here, I'm talking about the pure energy! The fun they are very clearly having!

As for the French stadium gigs and Matt ''really seems wrong'', I cannot imagine how you drew that conclusion because it is as far from the reality of the gigs as it's possible to be! He was in fine form both nights, most particularly the second night with his 'friend' there to impress!

Trust me, you are way off the mark with how you've perceived the band at the stadium gigs! They've been amazing!

You must be kidding!

I was at the Stade de Suisse and both Stade de France gigs and they were absolutely fantastic! I'm not talking about the setlists here, I'm talking about the pure energy! The fun they are very clearly having!

As for the French stadium gigs and Matt ''really seems wrong'', I cannot imagine how you drew that conclusion because it is as far from the reality of the gigs as it's possible to be! He was in fine form both nights, most particularly the second night with his 'friend' there to impress!

Trust me, you are way off the mark with how you've perceived the band at the stadium gigs! They've been amazing!

:yesey:

Certainly on the arena tour something looked like it could've been amiss, but on the festival/stadium stuff they've been doing in Europe this summer they've looked like they're having lots of fun playing and have sounded great, particulary in pro-shots and the good stuff from the festival camcorder army.

:yesey:

On the arena tour yes, certainly there was a huge difference between the two gigs I went to.

However for the Stadiums pretty much everyone has said performance wise has been spot on (even if some of the songs are lacking). I think the fact they're playing quite different sets for the festivals is rejuvenating them a bit. And they've played a different set every night since returning from America which helps (even if it's just one or two songs here and there swapping round)

OK a bigger review now.

- Circumstances: I don't know who got the idea of doing the Spain gig yesterday but it was probably the worst day available to do it. First of all it's in the middle of the week, in a period of exams for uni students, and the day that Spain played their first match of the world cup. I'm lucky I already finished uni and I'm working, and that I don't really care about football. But that is not the norm by a long way.

- People: I think the average age of the people who were in my zone (around 20 meters in front of Matt) was around 15. And without going into details, that resulted of some of them being complete jerks. It was also clear, I'll explain later, that most were Twilight fans who only listened to The Resistance. Also some idiot spent the whole concert throwing "fetid bombs" or similar, which resulted in an unbearable smell all the concert long.

- Sound: Let's say it wasn't exactly great. During The Big Pink (I'm kinda following them also, they were boring on stage though), the bass sounds sounded really distorted. I thought it was maybe a case of them not having time to sound check, in The Editors it was better, and with Muse it was halfway through Editors and Big Pink. It wasn't a great sound. Also, the voice and the guitar were too low volume.

Now a song by song review:

- Intro and Uprising: They started at around 22:15, which was OK. I liked the intro and Uprising is a really great song live, they played the rockish outro. Awesome.

- SMBH: Well I really don't like that song, but it was a very good performance of it, it sounded great.

- New Born: I could understand why Matt didn't play piano while being high in the tower, but he doesn't have a good reason not to now, so I'm dissappointed with that. The performance of it was good, but in November was a lot better, probably had to do with the guitar volume. People was not very active in this song, me and very few people in my zone were jumping. After the song, I think he played the Deftones riff.

- MOTP: Although it isn't a head banging song, I really like it, and the performance was good, although I also preferred the November version. Still, nice.

- Neutron Fucking Star Collision (Love is Forever): And here is where the very steep downhill starts. Nobody was very active in New Born, but people (definately not me) were bouncing all the way in "...staaaay togeeetheeerrrr" :facepalm: Ah Twilight, how much damage it has done.

- Guiding Light: Cheesy cheese, but I like the song. People were also active here, and the launch things in the air just before the solo doesn't work in my opinion, as people spent the whole solo watching the confetti fall from the sky, no one noticed the best part of the song.

- Bliss: The guitar sound technicial went to give Matt the chrome bomber, and I thought "Bliss!!!", but Matt refused to grab it, the people jokingly and in a good spirit booed the technician, but then as Matt was about to start the song he realised his technicial was right and he went after him to request the bomber, then again in a joking fashion, people booed Matt :LOL:. So, Bliss kicks in after the slow guitar-delay intro, and in a worse way than New Born, no one seems to respond to it, me and few people were bouncing. I think the synth sound was done differently, so it sounded more like a piano. That's why I think this version wasn't that great, but It was very good. The people killed it though.

- Interlude + Hysteria: People a little more active this time, but the drowned guitar sound killed it. Matt spent the whole first verse tuning string by string his guitar. I think at the end he played a Back in Black part.

- Nishe: Not much to do or add here.

- USoE: I really hate this song, as it's several patches stolen from different styles and artists put together in a rushed way without any taste or attempt for cohesion. The performance was normal, the "-SIA!" sounded better than in November though. After NSC, GL, a very unparticipative version of Bliss, and Nishe, I start to feel very bored.

- Feeling Good: ...and this doesn't help. The people like it though, Still, what can I tell you, it's Feeling Good. The performance was good.

- Wankdorf Jam: Unimpressive. Helsinki Jam was awesome and miles better. Dom being standing there doesn't feel right.

Around this time Dom showed to the public some big panties that were thrown at them, with writing all over, and Matt attempted to speak Spanish doing long phrases, I thought it was very funny and liked it as he usually doesn't speak that much during gigs.

- Undisclosed Desires: If I was very bored already, rock bottom with this one. The record version is OK, but I don't think it's right to play this song at a stadium gig, specially after the borefest that preceeded it. What's the point of that stupid keytar by the way, he doesn't use it during the song. He got a new instrument custom made for him to play 4 or 5 notes?

- Resistance: Horrible song, No reaction in New Born or Bliss, but the Twilight kiddos went nuts with this one.

And at this points is where things start to go uphill again, after being so low and wrong.

- Time is Running Out: The Matt and Chris switch positions, then the song starts felt too much routine. Apart from that, it was a good performance, I liked it and the reaction of the Twilight kiddos was good too.

- Starlight: I don't remember if it was played at this point, but standard starlight performance. The crowd sang really slowly, which resulted in Matt having to finish the second part of the chorus.

- Unnatural Selection: This song isn't with my favourites as it's New Born riff repeated all over during a Citizen Erased long song, and System of a Down-like parts. A mess basically. But I really liked how they performed it live, it sounded very good. The crowd jumped to it too.

- Unintended: I like the song and the ambient in the stadium with the mobile phones up but I didn't understand why he didn't play it with an acoustic guitar, like at Wembley. It was a good performance though.

- Exo 1: The UFO, quite big although I don't buy the possibility of it to block a TV signal as it was said, the song sounded awesome, much better than in November, althought Matt didn't sing the final parts.

- Stockholm Syndrome: I love this song, the drums sounded awesome, and excellent performance. The Twilight kids weren't very active for what would have been usual in this song. Again, awesome.

- Take a Bow: Cool costume, but I don't see the points of playing it being completely static in a plataform, the screen visuals add a lot to this song, but were ignored because Matt was somewhere else. I also like this song, good performance but it could have been better if done different.

Now the best part of the gig

- Plug In Baby: My favourite live song, awesome as usual, with the hullaballoons, but again people wasn't crazy enough, compared to November the pits were like a tea party. Oh well at least I went mad with this one.

- KoC: ...as I did with this one. The riff kicking in was the best moment of the gig. People went crazy with it as any other thing would have been weird, but still not the same intensity as November. Then all the "see you, you're crazy as usual" from the group, Dom throws drumsticks, end of concert. Now it's 0:30 AM and won't arrive home until 2:30 AM, having to wake up early the next day (today) for work.

So in conclusion, really bad choice of day, together with their new poppy direction resulted in a significant average age drop and Twilight-Resistance only fans. It killed the ambient of their best songs (which obviously aren't in The Resistance) because the crowd didn't know them (I definitely see now why they are not playing Citizen Erased). And the ones they knew, were in the middle part of the gig, which are all the slow ones.

So the first and last parts of the gigs were awesome as usual. But there is a big middle part hole that completely kills it. Unless they change their direction again and return from their pop adventure, I'm not paying 50€ or more again for a short gig with no middle part.

Okay people calm down lol I was there, the show was pretty good, the setlist wasn't that bad at all (they played BLISS and I was like in Heaven lol Take a bow was also GREAT), the sound was a bit bad especially with Matt's voice in a couple of songs, Neutron was terrible and people didn't move lol I almost fell asleep but they played Bliss afterwards so I resurrected inmediately and it was a BIG surprise because they played it really early XD, Undisclosed had a poor sound like always and it's a pity because I like that song... Dom showed some panties which someone threw to the stage lol that was funny, Matt spoke some weird Spanish as well as Dom, at least they tried xD Chris was so silent as always:rolleyes: anyway there wasn't a good atmosphere, I mean in general, people were quite still :S The big pink was sh** and they had a terrible sound, Editors were much better:D

OK a bigger review now.

- Circumstances: I don't know who got the idea of doing the Spain gig yesterday but it was probably the worst day available to do it. First of all it's in the middle of the week, in a period of exams for uni students, and the day that Spain played their first match of the world cup. I'm lucky I already finished uni and I'm working, and that I don't really care about football. But that is not the norm by a long way.

- People: I think the average age of the people who were in my zone (around 20 meters in front of Matt) was around 15. And without going into details, that resulted of some of them being complete jerks. It was also clear, I'll explain later, that most were Twilight fans who only listened to The Resistance. Also some idiot spent the whole concert throwing "fetid bombs" or similar, which resulted in an unbearable smell all the concert long.

- Sound: Let's say it wasn't exactly great. During The Big Pink (I'm kinda following them also, they were boring on stage though), the bass sounds sounded really distorted. I thought it was maybe a case of them not having time to sound check, in The Editors it was better, and with Muse it was halfway through Editors and Big Pink. It wasn't a great sound. Also, the voice and the guitar were too low volume.

Now a song by song review:

- Intro and Uprising: They started at around 22:15, which was OK. I liked the intro and Uprising is a really great song live, they played the rockish outro. Awesome.

- SMBH: Well I really don't like that song, but it was a very good performance of it, it sounded great.

- New Born: I could understand why Matt didn't play piano while being high in the tower, but he doesn't have a good reason not to now, so I'm dissappointed with that. The performance of it was good, but in November was a lot better, probably had to do with the guitar volume. People was not very active in this song, me and very few people in my zone were jumping. After the song, I think he played the Deftones riff.

- MOTP: Although it isn't a head banging song, I really like it, and the performance was good, although I also preferred the November version. Still, nice.

- Neutron Fucking Star Collision (Love is Forever): And here is where the very steep downhill starts. Nobody was very active in New Born, but people (definately not me) were bouncing all the way in "...staaaay togeeetheeerrrr" :facepalm: Ah Twilight, how much damage it has done.

- Guiding Light: Cheesy cheese, but I like the song. People were also active here, and the launch things in the air just before the solo doesn't work in my opinion, as people spent the whole solo watching the confetti fall from the sky, no one noticed the best part of the song.

- Bliss: The guitar sound technicial went to give Matt the chrome bomber, and I thought "Bliss!!!", but Matt refused to grab it, the people jokingly and in a good spirit booed the technician, but then as Matt was about to start the song he realised his technicial was right and he went after him to request the bomber, then again in a joking fashion, people booed Matt :LOL:. So, Bliss kicks in after the slow guitar-delay intro, and in a worse way than New Born, no one seems to respond to it, me and few people were bouncing. I think the synth sound was done differently, so it sounded more like a piano. That's why I think this version wasn't that great, but It was very good. The people killed it though.

- Interlude + Hysteria: People a little more active this time, but the drowned guitar sound killed it. Matt spent the whole first verse tuning string by string his guitar. I think at the end he played a Back in Black part.

- Nishe: Not much to do or add here.

- USoE: I really hate this song, as it's several patches stolen from different styles and artists put together in a rushed way without any taste or attempt for cohesion. The performance was normal, the "-SIA!" sounded better than in November though. After NSC, GL, a very unparticipative version of Bliss, and Nishe, I start to feel very bored.

- Feeling Good: ...and this doesn't help. The people like it though, Still, what can I tell you, it's Feeling Good. The performance was good.

- Wankdorf Jam: Unimpressive. Helsinki Jam was awesome and miles better. Dom being standing there doesn't feel right.

Around this time Dom showed to the public some big panties that were thrown at them, with writing all over, and Matt attempted to speak Spanish doing long phrases, I thought it was very funny and liked it as he usually doesn't speak that much during gigs.

- Undisclosed Desires: If I was very bored already, rock bottom with this one. The record version is OK, but I don't think it's right to play this song at a stadium gig, specially after the borefest that preceeded it. What's the point of that stupid keytar by the way, he doesn't use it during the song. He got a new instrument custom made for him to play 4 or 5 notes?

- Resistance: Horrible song, No reaction in New Born or Bliss, but the Twilight kiddos went nuts with this one.

And at this points is where things start to go uphill again, after being so low and wrong.

- Time is Running Out: The Matt and Chris switch positions, then the song starts felt too much routine. Apart from that, it was a good performance, I liked it and the reaction of the Twilight kiddos was good too.

- Starlight: I don't remember if it was played at this point, but standard starlight performance. The crowd sang really slowly, which resulted in Matt having to finish the second part of the chorus.

- Unnatural Selection: This song isn't with my favourites as it's New Born riff repeated all over during a Citizen Erased long song, and System of a Down-like parts. A mess basically. But I really liked how they performed it live, it sounded very good. The crowd jumped to it too.

- Unintended: I like the song and the ambient in the stadium with the mobile phones up but I didn't understand why he didn't play it with an acoustic guitar, like at Wembley. It was a good performance though.

- Exo 1: The UFO, quite big although I don't buy the possibility of it to block a TV signal as it was said, the song sounded awesome, much better than in November, althought Matt didn't sing the final parts.

- Stockholm Syndrome: I love this song, the drums sounded awesome, and excellent performance. The Twilight kids weren't very active for what would have been usual in this song. Again, awesome.

- Take a Bow: Cool costume, but I don't see the points of playing it being completely static in a plataform, the screen visuals add a lot to this song, but were ignored because Matt was somewhere else. I also like this song, good performance but it could have been better if done different.

Now the best part of the gig

- Plug In Baby: My favourite live song, awesome as usual, with the hullaballoons, but again people wasn't crazy enough, compared to November the pits were like a tea party. Oh well at least I went mad with this one.

- KoC: ...as I did with this one. The riff kicking in was the best moment of the gig. People went crazy with it as any other thing would have been weird, but still not the same intensity as November. Then all the "see you, you're crazy as usual" from the group, Dom throws drumsticks, end of concert. Now it's 0:30 AM and won't arrive home until 2:30 AM, having to wake up early the next day (today) for work.

So in conclusion, really bad choice of day, together with their new poppy direction resulted in a significant average age drop and Twilight-Resistance only fans. It killed the ambient of their best songs (which obviously aren't in The Resistance) because the crowd didn't know them (I definitely see now why they are not playing Citizen Erased). And the ones they knew, were in the middle part of the gig, which are all the slow ones.

So the first and last parts of the gigs were awesome as usual. But there is a big middle part hole that completely kills it. Unless they change their direction again and return from their pop adventure, I'm not paying 50€ or more again for a short gig with no middle part.

I love how you set out to run it down, yet every song you say they gave a good performance. Basically you don't like The Resistance, you don't like Twilighters and you didn't like the day it was on, and you're tired.:)

I love how you set out to run it down, yet every song you say they gave a good performance. Basically you don't like The Resistance, you don't like Twilighters and you didn't like the day it was on, and you're tired.:)

By good performance I mean them not screwing notes or thing like that. The energy they transmitted was a lot higher in November. Too much teatrics here. Also, I don't say good performance in all songs at all. Still, as I said, the very beggining and the end songs were awesome, but the rest wasn't up to it by a long way, and I just said it.

Sorry, but you didn't jump to NSC just because it is used for Twilight? The lyrics may be even worse than Camembert but I find the song incredibly fun live.

No, but because it's an incredibly bad song. What was first, it being a bad song or it being used for Twilight? I don't know :)

The Big Pink ALWAYS sound shit live, really!

I'm surprised at anyone, regardless of whether or not they like/dislike Twilight/NSC who is unable to have fun during that song! Even if I hated it I'd still have great fun to the 'Horsey song'!:D

Carrie, where did you get the quote from Chris in your sig?

/off topic.

http://www.rotherhamunited-mad.co.uk/roll/edz5/chris_wolstenholme__a_millers_museings_final_part_480114/index.shtml

I suspect she's pulling a Mozza :LOL:

not really.

Maybe unfair on one performance but it's difficult to get an impression from a message board. I mean I know what it's like on our message board, they're supposed to be our fans and they're all slagging us off.

Sorry, but you didn't jump to NSC just because it is used for Twilight? The lyrics may be even worse than Camembert but I find the song incredibly fun live.

But Camembert is awesome! :eek:

I'm surprised at anyone, regardless of whether or not they like/dislike Twilight/NSC who is unable to have fun during that song! Even if I hated it I'd still have great fun to the 'Horsey song'!:D

Ditto. I'd be glad to hear a better song at a gig, but as long as they are playing NSC, might as well have fun with it. I really dislike the song, but live this becomes a case of "it's so bad that it turns good" :chuckle:

But Camembert is awesome! :eek:

Ditto. I'd be glad to hear a better song at a gig, but as long as they are playing NSC, might as well have fun with it. I really dislike the song, but live this becomes a case of "it's so bad that it turns good" :chuckle:

Exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxactly!:D

Are you comparing them to how they used to perform for example pre 2004? Because it's become apparant for a while now they will just not perform with that same particular energy anymore, some have argued because of the label they are now on, others say because their stage production grows and grows and it becomes restricted now.

I do agree that some specific songs lose this energy at times, I feel like I am now listening to the studio version of New Born with Matt playing guitair over the top of it, it's just not how it used to be plus Take a Bow and Knights have also lost that spark but I do think they can still perform very well and make the gigs a fun place to be. I don't think they can be like it at every show they play but they can still carry that energy now and then. It's a shame it's not continuous but I am hoping from now on I will just try and see them at one off shows and festivals.

Carrie, where did you get the quote from Chris in your sig?

/off topic.

Lol wut just saw that

Ah, I see.

Hmm. Muse dissapoint me, that's why I say the things I do. I'm still a fan though. That said, there's giving contructive criticism and then there's acting like a cunt.

Same really. I think it's because they have changed a lot since the 2003/04 days. There are a few times when it seems they are still like 'that band' (thinking 2008 gigs, 2010 festivals) but for the most part they're theatrical and more into 'showy' or slower love songs now.

I think it's fair to say 'we really like these songs, please consider playing them live' or think 'is a show this expensive really worth it?' but at the end of the day it's clear that this is how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. The best way to see 'old Muse' is to not go to a 'Muse' show :LOL:

Same really. I think it's because they have changed a lot since the 2003/04 days. There are a few times when it seems they are still like 'that band' (thinking 2008 gigs, 2010 festivals) but for the most part they're theatrical and more into 'showy' or slower love songs now.

I think it's fair to say 'we really like these songs, please consider playing them live' or think 'is a show this expensive really worth it?' but at the end of the day it's clear that this is how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. The best way to see 'old Muse' is to not go to a 'Muse' show :LOL:

Just get your local BBC Big Screen to air the Montreux gig and have a massive rock out :p

Just get your local BBC Big Screen to air the Montreux gig and have a massive rock out :p

That gig is amazing, and it has Feeling Good in it :awesome:

To Muse's credit, they have played a different set at each stadium gig. But I thought the first set of the Arena tour had a poor setlist and these still aren't that different from it so :LOL: oh well. No more battling the seetickets hamster on gig release day :awesome:

Are you comparing them to how they used to perform for example pre 2004? Because it's become apparant for a while now they will just not perform with that same particular energy anymore, some have argued because of the label they are now on, others say because their stage production grows and grows and it becomes restricted now.

I do agree that some specific songs lose this energy at times, I feel like I am now listening to the studio version of New Born with Matt playing guitair over the top of it, it's just not how it used to be plus Take a Bow and Knights have also lost that spark but I do think they can still perform very well and make the gigs a fun place to be. I don't think they can be like it at every show they play but they can still carry that energy now and then. It's a shame it's not continuous but I am hoping from now on I will just try and see them at one off shows and festivals.

+1 to all of this basically.

Lol wut just saw that

I know. It kind of makes me feel a bit sad, but then again...I don't want to feel a bit sorry for them. Chris (prob the others) read what we say yet they do nothing about it. With the set list polls it looked like maybe they were listening to us, but appaz not. I don't know what to think anymore.

It's not like the criticism isn't justified, because the majority of it is.

What we have now, this is Muse. It's just difficult to accept it.

Right at this minute I am listening to the Showbiz performance at Reading 2006.

What the fuck happened to them?

Archived