Watch the video for Resistance on MTV

KirkBot

^ each to their own, but the reason a lot of us are saying this is because we've come to expect a lot from Muse... waaaay more than what they've given us in The Resistance era of singles, and we know they can do better than to release a live video and an awfully edited version of a great song.

I don't usually care too much about singles/ videos - apart from spaffing over new b-sides - but we haven't even been given the chance to do that because they've released shitty remixes, instead. All of that spells laziness to me. Doesn't make them any less awesome in my eyes... it's just a bit disappointing when you compare it to previous releases, especially the very early days when we used to get 2 b-sides on 2 separate CDs with videos and live versions etc.

mmm, in 10 years are people gonna be buying these singles still? not gonna be worth it unless you're a collector

mmm, in 10 years are people gonna be buying these singles still? not gonna be worth it unless you're a collector

Yeah, but my point is simply that they used to make more of an effort for fans before, like in those days when we'd get tons of b-sides and bonus material etc, hence why it's disappointing that they don't seem bothered about 'pleasing' the fans anymore. I'm sure Muse and management are both aware that most of us despise dancey remix shit, but it hasn't stopped them from throwing them into all the poorly produced releases lately.

In 10 years, the earlier singles will still be worth tons more than this batch of singles, not just because they're older/ would be more rare, but because their content is way better. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a download only song anyways :LOL::facepalm:.

I hear your point about bonus material/b-sides but I doubt very much that they've stopped caring about the fans. The tweets have proven it, for example.

I only mean from a singles perspective. And, in some cases, from a setlists perspective... but they listened to us with the latter by bringing back Butterflies & Hurricanes and Bliss for some shows and dropping Guiding Light etc. With singles, they've gone backwards, lol.

I don't know how many lashes one gets for cross-posting here, but I thought you'd be interested in this review. So I kidnapped Hyper's post. I hope that's okay.

here a little review by MTV

Jan 14 2010 10:14 AM EST

Muse's 'Resistance' Video: Just Like The Real Thing

If you haven't seen the Brit rockers live, this just-released clip is the next best thing.

By James Montgomery

There are only three dudes in Muse. That's important to note, because they sound positively massive — both live and on record — like Bang Camaro on steroids or the Polyphonic Spree if Tim DeLaughter armed everyone with a guitar. The noise they summon, these three, mild-mannered Brits, is almost otherworldly.

And to that end, I've always maintained that the best way to see Muse is live, on the biggest stage possible, with the hugest amps and the brightest lights available. For years, we here in the States weren't afforded that opportunity (though the band's live album HAARP — named after a top-secret ionospheric research project, naturally — is a pretty good primer), but lately, thanks to the success of 2006's Black Holes and Revelations album, Muse have had good reason to tour the U.S. They are popular here — certainly not on the same level as in the U.K., but big enough to headline Madison Square Garden once (with a second stand scheduled for March). The time is right to catch them in their natural habitat.

I only mention all of this because on Thursday (January 14), Muse premiered the video for the title track from 2009's Resistance, and it's very live, indeed: the massive amps, the bright lights and (most importantly) the massive sound.

Filmed by director Wayne Isham — who, thanks to his work with the likes of Mötley Crüe and Metallica is used to these types of over-the-top things — "Resistance" is just like buying a ticket to a live Muse show, only without those nasty Ticketmaster surcharges. Not to mention it's a pretty classic "live video," capturing the tension of the crowd — the slo-mo sprints to the front of the barricade — and the sheer enormity of the band's set.

But, honestly, nothing compares to the real thing. So consider "Resistance" to be a primer. Then get yourself ready for Muse's next run of U.S. shows, scheduled to kick off in late February. You've been warned.

I only mean from a singles perspective. And, in some cases, from a setlists perspective... but they listened to us with the latter by bringing back Butterflies & Hurricanes and Bliss for some shows and dropping Guiding Light etc. With singles, they've gone backwards, lol.

Yeah I could definitely do with some b-sides. Those wouldn't hurt.

I'm happy about their direction with the setlist variations. I'm really looking forward to the BDO gigs even 'though I won't be attending them.

I think downloading's been the death of the b-side tbh. When you released things physically, people got the b-side regardless of whether they wanted it or not; now people can just pick and choose what they want, and it's generally a relatively small number of hardcore fans who want the b-sides. THey've already said they only made 11 songs for this album.

Anyways, you might get a b-side with this one =]

I understand everyone's disappointment with the previous clips they have made.

But, there is absolutely noting wrong with this clip.

I think some "old cheese" fans are running through it with a fine tooth comb. How many clips do you see these days containing live footage of a band? I havent seen one for a long time. I think its awesome that they have gotten to a level where they can do that.

And isn't it great that fans or potential fans get to see what they're missing out on if they don't attend one of their gigs?

I can see the flaws, I can see editing "mistakes", but who really cares? Keep the bliss film clip in your heart and move on..

I thought it was a highlight that they showed "the big balls" during this clip :)

P.S the hallway scene at the beginning is mega cheese. lol I used the word cheese three time in this post!

I dunno if anyone else commented on this, but I think all of the close ups, even with matt on the guitar or Dom on the drums were shot at a different time and not during the show. I think that's pretty obvious though, seeing as they are standing on the towers the whole time.

:yesey: They filmed before the show, many of us saw them from one of the doors. They had a huge platform infront of the stage with a camera-crane.

Resistance is actually a really, really intense song. Just listen to the drums, the bassline, just listen to the mood of it. It's not some pop song. It might not be heavy either but it is intense and deserves it's own single release. If you want a video to MK Ultra etc then go make one and watch it as many times as you wish.

I think you are confused, I like the song I just don't think the video is fitting.

I like the video. Take's me back to the 02 gig and Sheffield gig that I went to. Great song too!

I don't understand all of the comments about things dissapearing such as Matt's jacket and Chris' moustache? I took it as a collection of their live tour, as opposed to a live video. Could just be me...

Its just like every other fan made resistance live youtube video =/ i'm honestly disappointed with the resistance album compared to BHAR etc and not cause of the songs, they're great but the lack of hardcopys and now professional videos. I want the little dvds and vinyls back =[ No one wants to go on itunes and download a song they already have, it like they're focusing more on getting new fans and giving nothing to the people who've been with them for over a decade now.

I'm trying my absolute best to be as positive as I can about this video but tbh I generally am not that happy with it. I think they could have done something more creative, more original as I think Resistance is a great song. I find the start of the video cheesey lol. But I do like the way it really captures Muse's live presence on stage.

Anyway, it's not as if music videos define a band's music. It's something I can get over :LOL:

I was hoping that Dom would "trip" just like in the Wembley rehearsals. :LOL:

Yep, just like in "Monster's Inc." :LOL:

Would it have been better to make a video just about the pure content of "Resistance" (1984 and stuff), maybe even without the band ? Just like in "Hysteria" ? Yes, maybe it would ...

But as someone who stood in the middle of the moshpit twice I enjoyed this live-video really much ! Brings back some good memories and emotions ...thanks for that !

i love anything muse does period. i love this video it looks like its clips from the concert. do we really care, do we love muse? lets be happy they get any kind of tv or radio play in the U.S. The music in this country is shit. as i sit in my little cubby hole right now listening to shit music by katie perry (about to put on ipod and listen to muse)i can only hope it goes to #1 slot on vh1 or mtv. they are the best band in the world in my eyes. there is not much new music i listen to these days. but muse is on the top of my list.

I don't like the radio edit of the song, having the piano in the middle of a verse doesn't sound right, in conclusion, good effort Muse with a live video, but poor editing:(

indeed it doesn't sound right at all:noey: and they cut out the weird space age bit at the beginning which i have grown quite fond of when listening to the studio version. not their best video by far but not at all bad.

Archived