Muse fans are intelligent. Right?

Redrosel

Hai,

So, I've been to my first concert of Muse recently, and I noticed how different Muse fans are from regular fans. It seems as if we're just more relaxed and tolerant with eachother. Also, I think Muse fans are more intelligent people.... maybe because it's more complex music, that you really carefully have to listen to before you can really HEAR it, you know? What do you guys think? Are we smarter than other fans?:p Or do we just pretend? :stunned:

Muse crowds have been amongst the worst I've been in, though tbh, the average IQ/level of decorum shown by crowds over the last five years has dwindled hugely.

And Muse's music isn't particularly complex or different, it's just very good at what it is.

I'd like to think there's some sort of filter with Muse songs where the poppy tunes attract the people who like that sort of style. Then there's the more dedicated fans who enjoy most (if not, all) of Muse's songs who tend to have a slightly higher intelligence?

My license plate frame says: MUSE IS ROCK FOR CLEVER PEOPLE.

I think it works both ways. In some ways, yes, Muse fans are more intelligent, and sometimes, I'd said no, we're not. It varies. Perhaps there is a higher proportion of brainy types than there are in other music fandoms. You can see that split here; I've seen threads on more standard fangirlish topics like Matt's hair (not that these topis are for stupid people, they're just not what you might call intellectual), but there's also threads on things like whether the music is masculine or feminine; ISPs, politics...there's a thread for serious and silly discussion,basically.

As for more tolerant, I'd say we're welcoming, more than tolerant. In my experience anyway. I always befriend someone in the queue for a Muse gig, and always end up chatting to the people stood around me down the front; on one memorable occasion a total stranger shared birthday cake and champagne with us in the queue. How many bands have fans who do that? If we know you're a proper fan, we're nice as pie, but I do find that some Muse fans can be slightly stand-offish if they think you don't understand the awesomeness of Muse. There is a slight air of elitism too at times, with people who've been fans since Showbiz looking down on those who came to Muse later.

Hai,

So, I've been to my first concert of Muse recently, and I noticed how different Muse fans are from regular fans. It seems as if we're just more relaxed and tolerant with eachother. Also, I think Muse fans are more intelligent people.... maybe because it's more complex music, that you really carefully have to listen to before you can really HEAR it, you know? What do you guys think? Are we smarter than other fans?:p Or do we just pretend? :stunned:

Bit in bold - are you kidding!? :LOL:

Nah I think Muse fans are a diverse mixture of people. It depends how you are defining "regular fans". What are "regular" fans in other words?

Bit in bold - are you kidding!? :LOL:

Nah I think Muse fans are a diverse mixture of people. It depends how you are defining "regular fans". What are "regular" fans in other words?

Regular fans as in, you know, how a fan is usually portrayed. They're more noisy and just.. ehmm yeah can't really explain. But I also think that Muse fans come in all varieties, though I really mean the majority.

O, and I actually meant welcoming, instead of tolerant! I'm from the Netherlands so my english isn't that amazingly good, I have to search for words sometimes... (Thank you Rockette147 for correcting me ;))

(i know it was a mistake, this is just my 2 cents worth)Muse fans are amongst some of the least tolerant fans I know, or maybe more selfish/negative fans. a lot of other fans of other bands would go "yus, we just signed a deal with twilight. Thats good news for the boys, hopefully we get some new fans" or "I wish they had released that on disc, but I guess cd singles just don't make money these days".

On other forums (that I've visited) fans have different favourite albums, songs and whatnot, but most of the debate seems healthy. Here we almost attack people "you don't like CE? Your not a muse fan you twatlight fangirl".

The thread most full of negativity is the setlist thread. People talk about not going to gigs because they don't like the setlists. Muse almost set themselve up for this though by having such a good show a few years back, and now by not living up to it. I almost feel as of they have become a bit arrogant about their live shows due to winning best live act so many times. HOWEVER, going to see one of the best live bands is a great oppurtunity, and how many people would get that? To give up your ticket is going a bit far.

I think that a lot of other fans who DONT join the boards are entirely happy with their band, and go to a gig thinking it was the best time of their lives. I think board members have become stuck in this negative cycle.

On subject of welcoming. It depends who you are. If you appear to be a twilight fangirl, you will get cut down, but if you come in and say your favourite album is OoS or Abso, you are treated as a hero.

I think a lot of members try to make newbies feel welcome, but after a while all the newbie mistakes they see start annoying them and they become a hit more hostile.

On other boards I've visited, they are genearally more welcoming, eg someone will usually give you a few tips, and show you the ropes. But I think the reason we are slightly less welcoming is because we are like a family, and seeing someone new come in makes us a bit wary of them. They almost have to prove themselves over the course of time. Some members will take a day to be accepted. Some will take a week. some will take up to a few months. And some will never be accepted by the masses.

Now, whether thismakes us more intelligent, I'm not sure. But all the intelligent people I know in real life, like a good argument, like cutting people down, aren't very accepting, are close minded. They are basically all the things I described above.

(i know it was a mistake, this is just my 2 cents worth)Muse fans are amongst some of the least tolerant fans I know, or maybe more selfish/negative fans. a lot of other fans of other bands would go "yus, we just signed a deal with twilight. Thats good news for the boys, hopefully we get some new fans" or "I wish they had released that on disc, but I guess cd singles just don't make money these days".

On other forums (that I've visited) fans have different favourite albums, songs and whatnot, but most of the debate seems healthy. Here we almost attack people "you don't like CE? Your not a muse fan you twatlight fangirl".

The thread most full of negativity is the setlist thread. People talk about not going to gigs because they don't like the setlists. Muse almost set themselve up for this though by having such a good show a few years back, and now by not living up to it. I almost feel as of they have become a bit arrogant about their live shows due to winning best live act so many times. HOWEVER, going to see one of the best live bands is a great oppurtunity, and how many people would get that? To give up your ticket is going a bit far.

I think that a lot of other fans who DONT join the boards are entirely happy with their band, and go to a gig thinking it was the best time of their lives. I think board members have become stuck in this negative cycle.

On subject of welcoming. It depends who you are. If you appear to be a twilight fangirl, you will get cut down, but if you come in and say your favourite album is OoS or Abso, you are treated as a hero.

I think a lot of members try to make newbies feel welcome, but after a while all the newbie mistakes they see start annoying them and they become a hit more hostile.

On other boards I've visited, they are genearally more welcoming, eg someone will usually give you a few tips, and show you the ropes. But I think the reason we are slightly less welcoming is because we are like a family, and seeing someone new come in makes us a bit wary of them. They almost have to prove themselves over the course of time. Some members will take a day to be accepted. Some will take a week. some will take up to a few months. And some will never be accepted by the masses.

Now, whether thismakes us more intelligent, I'm not sure. But all the intelligent people I know in real life, like a good argument, like cutting people down, aren't very accepting, are close minded. They are basically all the things I described above.

I agree:rolleyes:

Well, some people do get a bit annoyed by the whole "like ohmigod I'm gonna listen to Muse because they're connected to Edward Cullen, not because I like the songs" thing...

I mean, a lot of the twatlight fangirls do act like that. :facepalm:

I've know muse fans to be either pretentious assholes or just chill.

I went to the mcr/muse gig and noticed that. The mcr fans were very sweet and friendly... But some were annoying and irritating. The muse fans there were stand offish and some were just chill.

I wouldn't say just bc they listen to muse it means they are nicer and more likely to share their food. It's just that the person is nice and happens to be a muse fan. I did experience asshole muse fans but I just think those people have always been asshole-ish and just so happen to be fans of muse.

It all really depends on each person individually.

Well, some people do get a bit annoyed by the whole "like ohmigod I'm gonna listen to Muse because they're connected to Edward Cullen, not because I like the songs" thing...

I mean, a lot of the twatlight fangirls do act like that. :facepalm:

To be fair though, I don't i've seen anyone say that...correct me if I'm wrong.

Also note how I said "us" and "we". So I lump myself with all other fans.

Well.... Muse is a band with many influences, so they attract many different kinds of fans. Like one of my friends likes their rock side, another likes the pop side, and I personally was attracted to the classical/electronic side. And variety tends to force some level of tolerance.

Though I do agree that there's definitely a streak of elitism amongst Musers as well, but it happens with every fandom when you get a bunch of us together. (Zelda fans and the Holy Grail that is Ocarina of Time for instance...:shifty:)

*hands up*

twice i've been asked to give a twilight fan my muse back catalog, but tbh i don't think they would've appreciated it, but at least they didn't just want the extra poppy ones :yesey:

On average i'd assume muse fans would be more intelligent than say.. JLS fans, i think it might be the fact that muse aren't that often in the charts so you'd have to show enough initiative to go listen to all their songs rather than just go with the shit rubbishy music channels gives you

yeah, but I've heard people say "OMG. Muse. they're like that band from twilight right? I love that song!!!! *fangirly squeal*"

Archived