Well it wasn't my intention to take sides, I am not friends with any of you guys beyond a couple interactions here and there.

It was more of an observation from an outside party.

I don't think the people MandaF mentioned are necessarily good or bad, in fact, I can probably point to a lot of posts of theirs (yours) that I agree with or laugh at, or that have made me think.

I just think sometimes ALL of us can go overboard, and speaking as a somewhat newcomer, the "club" is pretty obvious to someone just by glancing at the board.

Look, I am not looking to make anyone change, or break into the clique you all have going on or whatever, I just think it would be nice if we all thought for a second before we hit send. We don't need to be so biting and venomous all the time. Doesn't it make you tired?

This is kind of my point. Twice MandaF has now derailed the points made towards her quite hypocritical posts by accusing people of arguing for the sake of arguing and all that. True or not, it's not what we're talking about.

And there's no need to imply that we don't think before we post. Not in my case at least. I usually try to predict the answer to my post before posting it, and thus already having a few counter-arguments in my mind for replies that my posts MIGHT get. God that sounded douchey. My point is just that if anything, I think too MUCH before I post.

This is kind of my point. Twice MandaF has now derailed the points made towards her quite hypocritical posts by accusing people of arguing for the sake of arguing and all that. True or not, it's not what we're talking about.

I understand. I think it was just the straw that broke the camel's back for her, that's all. She's probably been feeling that way about the board for a long time, and it spilled out the first opportunity that came up.

Whatever. Sorry I replied its not even my fight. I didn't even jump in until the last page, lol.

And there's no need to imply that we don't think before we post. Not in my case at least. I usually try to predict the answer to my post before posting it, and thus already having a few counter-arguments in my mind for replies that my posts MIGHT get. God that sounded douchey. My point is just that if anything, I think too MUCH before I post.

Yeah, it did sound douchey. If you are already arguing with me in your head before I have even responded, it doesn't leave much room for understanding or kind feelings to another person does it? I meant think about how you would feel, if someone said what you are about to say, to you? You may think too much before you post, but maybe you are thinking too much about YOU and not the person to whom you are speaking?

I like you Simon. I think you are smart. I wish you didn't seem to hate me and everyone else though.

Probably should have pmd that. :(

Yeah, it did sound douchey. If you are already arguing with me in your head before I have even responded, it doesn't leave much room for understanding or kind feelings to another person does it? I meant think about how you would feel, if someone said what you are about to say, to you? You may think too much before you post, but maybe you are thinking too much about YOU and not the person to whom you are speaking?

I like you Simon. I think you are smart. I wish you didn't seem to hate me and everyone else though.

Probably should have pmd that. :(

I think you missed my point completely. I find it quite insulting that you would think that I don't read replies for what they are but what for I thought they might be before I read them. If that was the case, don't you think it would be a little more obvious? I argue quite a lot, and I'd like to think that I always address specific points in their posts. Not sure how that would be possible if I was just skimming their posts because I already had an idea of what they would say.

I am not sure what else I was supposed to gather from "I am already thinking of counterpoints to a particular argument" other than, "when I post I am not thinking of what the other person meant, I am thinking about what I want to convey."

I am sorry I insulted you.

More than likely I simply misunderstood you.

Anyway, that's not the point. I wasn't talking about thinking before you post in terms of thinking about the argument you want to make and what the other person is saying anyway. I was talking about thinking about if whether or not the tone or harshness of what you are thinking of saying is necessary, and if you word it a certain way, is it likely to cause the other person to think you are an argumentative jerk, or whether it is likely to make the other person feel you are a reasonable person with a different opinion.

And of course, I am speaking in the "general you" tense, here, :LOL:

Does that make more sense?

EDIT: I don't want you to think I have some personal beef with you, or something, though so don't think that. You are just the one responding to me right now, lol. And the only reason I am even taking this up is that I have noticed a certain posting style among a certain few posters and I am curious about the reasons they come off the way they do all the time. I am trying to get into some of your heads, less as an argument, and more as an exercise in people watching. Is that insensitive? There's a dynamic on this board that intrigues me, is all I am saying...

I am not sure what else I was supposed to gather from "I am already thinking of counterpoints to a particular argument" other than, "when I post I am not thinking of what the other person meant, I am thinking about what I want to convey."
:erm: I specifically said that I thought of possible replies, plural. "a few counter-arguments in my mind for replies that my posts MIGHT get".

Anyway, that's not the point. I wasn't talking about thinking before you post in terms of thinking about the argument you want to make and what the other person is saying anyway. I was talking about thinking about if whether or not the tone or harshness of what you are thinking of saying is necessary, and if you word it a certain way, is it likely to cause the other person to think you are an argumentative jerk, or whether it is likely to make the other person feel you are a reasonable person with a different opinion.

The thing is though that when people are being condescending or aggressive in their posts, it's usually intentional. Maybe it's done without thinking, but they still want to convey a certain message. Usually that "your opinion is silly". But yeah, that it's unnecessary is usually the case. Especially in this thread where people are being incredibly small minded(that's not the exact same thing as narrow minded, right?) about whenever someone likes the big hits or the cheesy love songs.

OH, see, I must've missed that one. I have no idea what that is...;)

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=88376&highlight=falling+reverse

Especially in this thread where people are being incredibly small minded(that's not the exact same thing as narrow minded, right?) about whenever someone likes the big hits or the cheesy love songs.

:$

But I'm fairly certain that small minded and narrow minded are the same.

I do see what you mean.

I was thinking that perhaps a little frustration about the general tone of the board came out in an inappropriate place. I probably shouldn't have jumped on it to air my own observations. I am again, sorry that I offended you.

Kueller, consider it dropped on my end.

You're like the Kobe Bryant of the muse board.

Well I don't know about you guys, but I found this argument funny. Funny in the sense that MandaF is apparently leaving MM for no real reason.

This.

Archived