Muse Resistance Tour Stage Presence?

Phoenix1342689

I couldn't find a thread on here that touched on this "issue". It feels to me that Muse are holding back on their current tour. Everyone, for the most part, stays very still, or at least within a small radius of where they should be. Now, I'm not expecting Matt to dive into Dom again, but I would still like to see more movement and liveliness than just making a slow wander to center stage. Yes, I'm sure the music is a bit more demanding now than a few riffs of the earlier days. But even at that, the older songs don't get much excitement when it comes to riffs (Newborn, Stockholm Syndrome, etc.), where Matt generally just kind of stands still. Thoughts? Share 'em.

Not sure what you are basing your observation on but having been to several Resistance tour gigs the only time I have seen them restricted of movements is when they are on the towers, however when they are at stage level they do move a lot. Of course Matt has to be at his mic when he sings or Chris when he does backing locals but the rest of the time they move around a lot, swap places at the wigs during some of the songs.

Matt's pretty lively I'd say. Yea, he's not skidding all over the floor, crashing into the drums, but he's 30 now. We have to let him grow up at some point. :LOL: It's not like he just stands there. During KOC at the O2, he was skipping around the stage. :LOL:

He seems to love his skipping this day.

He still doesn't skid around though - he did a massive slide during New Born in Lievin and ended up on the floor on his back rolling around - priceless :LOL:

He seems to love his skipping this day.

He still doesn't skid around though - he did a massive slide during New Born in Lievin and ended up on the floor on his back rolling around - priceless :LOL:

Yea, he does love the skipping and the knee slides. Proper funny. :LOL: Can't forget the Keytar dance either. :happy:

Matt was jumping all over the place at Birmingham. He was on his knees quite a lot towards the end and there definitely was a lot of skipping. :LOL: Plenty of head banging from Chris too.

Aside from the issue with short setlists, I really don't see any problems with Muse atm that aren't just based around taste.

Not sure what you are basing your observation on but having been to several Resistance tour gigs the only time I have seen them restricted of movements is when they are on the towers, however when they are at stage level they do move a lot. Of course Matt has to be at his mic when he sings or Chris when he does backing locals but the rest of the time they move around a lot, swap places at the wigs during some of the songs.

i was thinking the same.

i don't find them more "static", just grown up.

ofc they can't behave like when they were 21.

in Bologna they were awesome, and even while performing on these towers they kept on moving a lot.

and when they were at stage level, they did move a lot too.

the riffs were amazing as usual.

so as yettiman said, the only problem i can see is a setlist of 16 songs.

• 4 months later...

I felt the same way leaving the Detroit show. I'm going to the Cincinnati and Columbus shows in October, so it's not like I had a disappointing time. I just really want them to move around more and act like they're not rehearsing. I want Matt to interact with the crowd more and I want him and Chris to move. I think that's why they have all the lights and such, so they don't have to move or give it their all. Really disappointing that they kinda just stand there. :(

Matt isn't going to interact with the crowd. Not gonna happen. But I thought they jumped around and had way more fun than I'd seen on any BHaR era video, so I was quite happy. I mean, TR tour totally even had a guitar smash.

At my shows, Matt seemed to interact a lot with the crowd. Maybe not verbally, but through eye contact, pointing, hand motioning, etc. After going to so many shows of other bands who prefer to act as if the front row does not exist and purposefully ignore them, it was very very refreshing to connect with Muse. And he was plenty energetic enough for my tastes. Lots of kicks, running, skipping, dancing, spins and slides. And not to forget Dom and Chris. Lots of energy from them too. They put on a great show and they have a great stage presence.

• 8 months later...

I think There all doing Just Great, Matt Chris and Dom. Especially at the Boston gig on the Resistance tour when Matt did his power slide at the beginning of Plug in Baby, and the Plug in Baby Spins. Chris and Dom also lively as usually and having fun. Same with the other show I saw in Newark on the Resistance Tour. GO MUSE!!! May Bliss be With You All

I haven't been to any gigs when they've just stood there, well not Matt anyway. Even the

O2 gig when Matt wasn't happy and had backache afterwards on the 4th November 2009, he was all over the stage. I think Matt only stands in one place for the singing, which unless people want him fitted with a head mic :LOL: can't be rectified. Chris moves less and obviously Dom can't move.

Matt was jumping all over the place at Birmingham. He was on his knees quite a lot towards the end and there definitely was a lot of skipping. :LOL: Plenty of head banging from Chris too.

Aside from the issue with short setlists, I really don't see any problems with Muse atm that aren't just based around taste.

QFT.

Hmmm... They seemed pretty lively when I saw 'em in October! Especially Matt... he was jumping all over the place :chuckle: (Especially during CE and SS, both of which are "older" songs) I kind of see what people mean when they say that the guys have a bit less energy than they used to, but no one (except Dom :LOL:) is just sitting there standing still.

Hmmm... They seemed pretty lively when I saw 'em in October! Especially Matt... he was jumping all over the place :chuckle: (Especially during CE and SS, both of which are "older" songs) I kind of see what people mean when they say that the guys have a bit less energy than they used to, but no one (except Dom :LOL:) is just sitting there standing still.

With the exception of CE at Newark, the seemed a lot less lively at my October gigs than at my March gigs, but after a year of solid touring I can understand that

As far as drummers go, Dom is one of the more lively ones i see, besides obviosuly giving 100% in the actule drumming, he interacts with the audiance at every possible moment(clapping during TaB for example). And tbh i dont think i have ever seen a drummer talk to the crowd as much as the frontman(if at all).

As far as drummers go' date=' Dom is one of the more lively ones i see, besides obviosuly giving 100% in the actule drumming, he interacts with the audiance at every possible moment(clapping during TaB for example). And tbh i dont think i have ever seen a drummer talk to the crowd as much as the frontman(if at all).[/quote']

Exactly!

Archived