What is the first song you ever hear of Muse?

zeek721

I heard Knights of Cydonia on a local radio station around October of 7th grade (so about 2009ish). I remember I had asked my dad what the song was and who the band was, and it took me forever to remember how to spell Cydonia to look it up on YouTube (7th grade me also didn't notice half of what was going on in that video :LOL: ). My dad burned BHAR at some point for me, and I distinctly remember listening to it in our old red Jeep, and making a joke about Starlight (something about how he just wanted to hope, I didn't realize he was saying hold at the time). Then that summer he had scored my mom and I tix to see them in October on The Resistance tour, and my naive eighth grade witnessed an amazing concert not even knowing half of the songs they played as my dad neglected to get me the rest of the albums (I didn't even have physical copies until junior year of high school at first semester exams). On a side note they played New Born, Hysteria, TiRO, Ruled By Secrecy, Plug In Baby, and Stockholm Syndrome live, in front of me, and I had no idea what they were :supersad:

The first song I ever listened to was Space Dementia at a party, A friend was a fan of them and he opened my ears to a new world, since then it's been one of my favorite songs, along with citizen erased an many other B-sides that they no longer or have never played live, I wish they would tour playing only B-Sides, now that they have so many songs, after 7 albums and tons of b-sides, many great songs have fallen off the radar for a lot of people.

The first song I ever listened to was Space Dementia at a party, A friend was a fan of them and he opened my ears to a new world, since then it's been one of my favorite songs, along with citizen erased an many other B-sides that they no longer or have never played live, I wish they would tour playing only B-Sides, now that they have so many songs, after 7 albums and tons of b-sides, many great songs have fallen off the radar for a lot of people.

What kind of party was that?

Cave back when it first came out, but was not what I was looking for at the time.

Then in 2014, I heard Uprising at a bar on the jukebox and the youtube search started. Now I have all of their CD's and a bunch of DVD's. I even talked our band into playing Uprising live, and I sang it! It was a big deal because I had never sang solo before since we have a female singer. No keyboards that night either, just me, a drummer, and a bass player. It was at the same bar I heard it the first time and evidently the girl who had played it on the jukebox was there because she loved it!

I saw the Bliss and New Born videos on some music channel in 2002 while on a family holiday (in Spain or Italy, I think), and not too long afterwards came across the live version of Citizen Erased from Hullabaloo on a Q Magazine compilation CD, which I played to death. From there, I went out and bought Hullabaloo and Origin of Symmetry and became completely obsessed with them!

I saw the Bliss and New Born videos on some music channel in 2002 while on a family holiday (in Spain or Italy, I think), and not too long afterwards came across the live version of Citizen Erased from Hullabaloo on a Q Magazine compilation CD, which I played to death. From there, I went out and bought Hullabaloo and Origin of Symmetry and became completely obsessed with them!
What were your reactions to Absolution when it was released?

What were your reactions to Absolution when it was released?

Incredibly positive! For a couple of years it even became my favourite of their albums. I even bought the official Guitar Tab book and learnt how to play most of the tracks! I was a bit unsure over Apocalypse Please (for some reason - not enough guitar, maybe???) and was bored by Endlessly. But I loved the rest like crazy and thought Stockholm Syndrome was the best rock song ever written! I played the album pretty much on loop for a couple of years. My obsession over it (and OOS), combined with my discovery of Radiohead, Mogwai, Biffy, and Placebo, was pretty much what killed my teenage old-school METAL :\mm/: phase. But those new bands were still concurrent with my emo phase. Oh god, I forgotten about that... Too much information, Mark, row back, row back.

I didn't have an internet connection back then (didn't until 2005), so I can't comment on what the reaction was in general on the old forums. But I still remember some complaints from school friends who were fans of Muse and did use some of those forums. Several complained that Time Is Running Out was too conventional a song for Muse and represented them selling out (if they only knew...). One kept grumbling that Stockholm Syndrome had been watered down from the first radio play - which had the guitars louder and the entire thing played at a slightly faster tempo. And a lot (inc. me) complained about Endlessly being really dull. But it is a little dull. Especially live. It was quite clearly used as a mass toilet break at live shows! But overall the reaction was still overwhelmingly positive from all of them!

Plug In Baby.

This was a little while before Absolution was released, and I was about 14 years old. I remember listening to that song for the first time, and just being blown away. I remember thinking, "this is it, this is my band." That song was everything I wanted in a song, and it was perfect. It's what ignited my Muse obsession.

Muscle Museum, sometime in 2000/2001.

Cue 6 years later, the next song I hear from them is Apocalypse Please from the "30 Days of Night" trailer. Around the same time I also heard Starlight. This is the moment I fell in love, backtracked and started listening to all their other songs.

Muscle Museum in 2000. I was 15 at the time, crushed by Radioheads Kid A album being utter shite, and then I discovered Muscle Museum, then saw Sunburn on MTV, got Showbiz that Xmas , 6 months after that OoS sealed the deal. My favourite band ever. Finally saw them 6 years later in Birmingham for the BH&R tour. Whata gig!

• 3 years later...

If I heard anything from Showbiz or Origin when those songs were current, I certainly don't remember it. It's not like those albums received much attention over here. Obviously, bands in that era were still pretty much dependent on radio or MTV for exposure. I probably didn't hear Muse with any regularity until TIRO and/or Hysteria.

Archived