What is the first song you ever hear of Muse?

zeek721

Supermassive Black Hole on my television. I thought it was really ugly, loud music, but I heared it in a period where I didn't really listen to music a lot. Later I decided to really listen to music and so I found Supermassive Black Hole again and now it's an awesome song.

• 1 year later...

Technically, I heard Supermassive Black Hole on the Twilight soundtrack first, but I hated it and never bothered to listen to Muse at all. But about two years after that, after a long story that I don't feel like telling, I got recommended a bunch of random Muse songs. I believe the first one I listened to was New Born. I loved it, and then after a while, I listened to SMBH again and ended up really liking that too.

Technically, I heard Supermassive Black Hole on the Twilight soundtrack first, but I hated it and never bothered to listen to Muse at all. But about two years after that, after a long story that I don't feel like telling, I got recommended a bunch of random Muse songs. I believe the first one I listened to was New Born. I loved it, and then after a while, I listened to SMBH again and ended up really liking that too.

Just out of curiosity, would you please tell me why you hated Supermassive Black Hole at the first listen? (since I know you are a regular, I'm interested.)

Starlight. Sorry. :$

Well, to be more specific, it was the first Muse song I heard knowing it was Muse. I'd heard things like Space Dementia on the perfume advert and heard Stockholm and Hysteria in various places they've been used, and I heard Supermassive Black Hole on the radio a few times probably when it was new, but didn't like it at all, and didn't know who it was by or anything. In fact, I probably heard Starlight around the same time, again not knowing who it was.

Then one day, much later, and I can't remember why, I found Starlight, listened to it and because interested in Muse.

I'd love to say my first song was something like New Born, but ah well.

Just out of curiosity, would you please tell me why you hated Supermassive Black Hole at the first listen? (since I know you are a regular, I'm interested.)

I dunno, it wasn't anything like I was expecting. I was expecting something more like straightforward rock, since I knew Muse was basically a rock band, so I just found the song weird. And it being all in falsetto kinda turned me off too.

Plug In Baby or Feeling Good. They were both being played around the same time on Radio 1 and at first I thought it was Radiohead and was impressed that they'd got more interesting until I heard a presenter saying it was Muse and that led to them becoming my fave band from then on.

By me :awesome:

Mine was Starlight but it didn't make me look further into Muse's music. I just knew I loved that voice.

Then SMBH came along and within hours I'd downloaded about half of their discography. By the end of the week I had every song (excluding rare b-sides).

Then SMBH came along and within hours I'd downloaded about half of their discography. By the end of the week I had every song (excluding rare b-sides).

Kind of the same with me, only I was more drawn out, it took me SMBH and The Resistance as well as Starlight, and a recomendation of Absolution I saw before I decided to go for it. I saw the Absolution recomendation and decided what I'd heard so far was good enough for me to go crazy and that night I got all the albums, and by the end of the week their live albums. The more I listened the more I expanded and went after b-sides, rarities and bootlegs and such.

I've probably posted in here before but oh well. Growing up I had heard bits of Plug In Baby, Hysteria (at Battle of the Bands people always played it) but I didn't know the band.

Around 2004-ish I started watching Kerrang and the song Time Is Running Out came on and I fucking loved everything about it (still do, studio version is immense) but it took me a while to remember the band, and even then I still didn't download any stuff (I was only like 10).

Couple of years later watching the same channel SMBH came on and I was like...wtf Muse have you done :LOL: That year I got BH&R for my birthday (which is now 4 days away :awesome:) and Starlight came out as a single and I loved that. Around the time Invincible came out I started getting put off Muse because I thought Invincible and Matt Bellamy in that damn red jacket was cringeworthy (although I quite like Invincible now)...

...but yeah, my dad had got tickets to the June 17th Wembley show so we bought Abso and OoS to learn some stuff, and I went along to that, not knowing many songs, and after that I started collecting more stuff, until at one point I had all their albums, special editions and singles...only to sell it later on

And tada

The first song I remember listening to, knowing it was Muse, must have been Apocalypse Please. My brother listened to Absolution on a daily basis for some time, and I just remember thinking that it was one of the most depressing things I'd ever heard. :p Then in 2005 I saw the broadcast from Live8 and even though I didn't really want to admit it I couldn't deny that TiRO was a pretty great song - and from that moment on... yeah, you get the picture :)

TiRO and New Born in a running video. Loved TiRO and listened to it for a while, kinda ignored New Born though. A few months later I watched it again on youtube, saw SMBH, got freaked out because I thought they were Satanic, but got hooked on the song anyways. Slowly listened to other songs, Invincible, SFA, then as soon as I heard Butterflies and Hurricanes I realized I had just found the greatest band in history and promptly got every single album!

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist was first (saw a live version on YouTube). I ended jumping through related videos seeing CE, Sunburn, Butterflies, Stockholm.

I got Absolution and Black Holes soon after. I remember only like 3 people around me had even heard of Muse. After a few months I had all the albums up to date (2008).

Actually... looking at the list of songs I heard on my first day of hearing Muse, it's no wonder I got into them so quickly.

Archived