My muse inspired guitar build

Flump

fantastic man...the guitar looks great IMO

what was the total cost of the project..do you have an itemized list?

On the first page there is kind of an itemized list. I know that all the wood, hardware, and simple electronics (not the midi pad, pickups, etc.) was around 500 bucks. The whole build came to about 1300 bucks I think.

I'm doing one for my buddy right now and his whole build is going to be about 750 or so. He's just doing a simple guitar with a wilkinson/gotoh trem and Seymour Duncan pickups.

Sweet guitar. How did you get the colouring?

The silver metallic is Alsa's mirra chrome which you can see in the last picture started out a whole lot cooler than it ended up after the clear. It is the most finicky paint I've ever worked with.

The purple and blue is just dyed clear applied with an airbrush. A few drops of dye in some clear paint is extremely easy to work with because one wrong move doesn't really matter since its still somewhat transparent.

What area of Chicago are you in? I see you have an AxeFX and a Egnater there.

I have an Axe Ultra and a few different amps as well.

JT

Lincoln Park.

I'm most likely selling the Egnater because the Axe into a Randall RT2 50 takes care of any live needs I have, and the axe by itself takes care of any recording I want to do. I really love the sounds I get out of the Mod 50, but I've tweaked the axe to sound almost exactly like it.

This is looking great, man... lower horn's a little sharp for me, but it still looks awesome.

You were on Harmony Central, right? I seem to remember a Muser named Flump on there, from Chicago :p

That place totally fails now :facepalm:

This is looking great, man... lower horn's a little sharp for me, but it still looks awesome.

You were on Harmony Central, right? I seem to remember a Muser named Flump on there, from Chicago :p

That place totally fails now :facepalm:

Yea, I'm still on there from time to time when work is slower.

Hey i was thinking of using the alsa chrome for a guitar project. How is it to work with and apply?

It is honestly the biggest pain in the ass ever. I've done a couple smaller pieces of plastic with the stuff just to practice with it, and I can't ever get it to look like chrome. I did do a piece of plastic and got it to look similar to the last picture on the previous page AFTER clear coating it, but thats about as chrome as I've gotten. Depending on the project you are doing I'd say just pay to get the piece chromed.

It is honestly the biggest pain in the ass ever. I've done a couple smaller pieces of plastic with the stuff just to practice with it, and I can't ever get it to look like chrome. I did do a piece of plastic and got it to look similar to the last picture on the previous page AFTER clear coating it, but thats about as chrome as I've gotten. Depending on the project you are doing I'd say just pay to get the piece chromed.

Well I was looking to do a wood guitar. Anyway thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey Flump

Is your buddies $750ish mattocaster finished?

Figured I'd update the thread.

I did finish the guitar for my friend, and it was his own shape that he drew. Here's the only pic I actually have of it which is just the body, but it's a mix between a les paul and a bc rich warlock i think. I just gave him the mirror plastic and told him to crack it however he wanted. He decided to go nuts on the thing. There's black binding around the mirror which for some reason you can't see around parts of the guitar which i'm guessing is some weird angle trickery. Who knows.

IMAG0004.jpg

Here is one that I cut out at the same time and took forever to figure out what I wanted to do to the front. I decided to take a .020" thick sheet of copper and tarnish it with a vinegar and salt solution. Then I cleared it so it couldn't get washed away. Here it is sitting on the table waiting after the glue dried putting on the top.

IMAG0043-1.jpg

that rusty copper one looks ace. Do you have to protect that with some sort of laquer yeh?

I use polyurethane clears for the most part but yea, there is a clear coat over it now. Right now it was just some left over glossy stuff, but when I finally get around to painting it I'm going to use a matte poly so there is no gloss on the whole guitar. I figure it doesn't make much sense to tarnish something and then have it be shiny.

Archived