Progress of making a Mattocaster guitar myself.

Delorean

Which wood for the neck ? (and why)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which wood for the neck ? (and why)

• Curly Maple
    • Birds-eye Maple

that's not all glued on prior to fitting the truss rod is it?

:eek:

well, he had it clamped in that picture, so i would assume it's glued.

if he has to remove the fretboard, which i would assume would be by steaming it, surely that can't be good at this point (meaning since it's unfinished etc)

hotrod from stewmac?

they need to go in before the fretboard is glued. seriously - you're going to have to take the fretboard off and start again. you dont need to scrap anything. all that you might have to do is take a mm or so off the top of the neck to flat it again if you make any marks on the edges when you take the fretboard off

get a steam iron and steam the fretboard a bit at a time (with a cloth over it so as not to burn it) and using a very flat knife just ease it underneath the fretboard. go along it a bit at a time, and take your time, and it should come off no problem. then you'll want to clean all the glue off, making sure everything is kept nice and level.

when you install the truss rod you'll want to put a few dabs of kitchen/bathroom sealer in the slot to stop the rod rattling. this also pushes the rod up a little so the fretboard can press the rod into the sealer to help hold it in place. hence putting it in before gluing the fretboard.

if you can slide the rod in with the fretboard already glued, whats to stop it sliding out again?

hotrod from stewmac?

they need to go in before the fretboard is glued. seriously - you're going to have to take the fretboard off and start again. you dont need to scrap anything. all that you might have to do is take a mm or so off the top of the neck to flat it again if you make any marks on the edges when you take the fretboard off

get a steam iron and steam the fretboard a bit at a time (with a cloth over it so as not to burn it) and using a very flat knife just ease it underneath the fretboard. go along it a bit at a time, and take your time, and it should come off no problem. then you'll want to clean all the glue off, making sure everything is kept nice and level.

when you install the truss rod you'll want to put a few dabs of kitchen/bathroom sealer in the slot to stop the rod rattling. this also pushes the rod up a little so the fretboard can press the rod into the sealer to help hold it in place. hence putting it in before gluing the fretboard.

if you can slide the rod in with the fretboard already glued, whats to stop it sliding out again?

speaking of hot rods... they say to use 'silicone bathtub sealer', does it have to be that, or are there any substitutes I can use instead of it?

i dont know. i just always use that. it needs to be something that wont stick the two rods together as that will stop them working. so no glues. just something that is going to cushion it and help hold it in place.

but trust me you will need to take that fretboard off. theres a tutorial on the project guitar website if i didnt explain it well enough

but the thing is - if you fit it later, whats to stop it coming out again? and also, when you start fretting that puts pressure on the neck and you need the truss rod in there to help it. especially if its already carved. theres a reason the truss rod has been put in first for decades and decades.

I'd listen to hooglebug. He knows his stuff.

This.

I'm not an expert, but the truss rod wouldn't fit snugly in there would it? And it should, else the truss rod wouldn't really have an effect, being loose and all?

I don't know. You don't want your one of a kind birds-eye warping after a while.

just because it cant actually fall out doesnt make it a good thing. if it can move then its not doing its job properly and you risk ruining your neck by it having uneven pressures on it. if something goes wrong then it will be a lot more hastle to do something about it then than now.

it takes half an hour at most to take the fretboard off. its worth it. just be careful and it will be fine.

Archived