Progress of making a Mattocaster guitar myself.

Delorean

Which wood for the neck ? (and why)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which wood for the neck ? (and why)

• Curly Maple
    • Birds-eye Maple

putting it on the front and back will be easy. just whack some glue on - epoxy will be best - and clamp it down making sure to cover the whole bit of mirror with something to spread the force. ie, dont just put clamps around the edges. put a board on top of the mirror and clamp that down.

with the sides you'll have to pre-bend them with a heat gun (only use it on the front face of the mirror. if you use a heat gun on the back the mirror backing will bubble which is good for a relic type look, but not if you want it shiney) and find a way to clamp it to the shape of your guitar until it cools. once it has cooled it should stay pretty much to the shape you need it to be. if it needs bending a little more for glueing then use the heat gun again until its perfect.

if you do the sides first then you can trim them down flush with the top and back of the body. then you can put the top and back on so the sides wont be visible from the front.

putting it on the front and back will be easy. just whack some glue on - epoxy will be best - and clamp it down making sure to cover the whole bit of mirror with something to spread the force. ie, dont just put clamps around the edges. put a board on top of the mirror and clamp that down.

with the sides you'll have to pre-bend them with a heat gun (only use it on the front face of the mirror. if you use a heat gun on the back the mirror backing will bubble which is good for a relic type look, but not if you want it shiney) and find a way to clamp it to the shape of your guitar until it cools. once it has cooled it should stay pretty much to the shape you need it to be. if it needs bending a little more for glueing then use the heat gun again until its perfect.

if you do the sides first then you can trim them down flush with the top and back of the body. then you can put the top and back on so the sides wont be visible from the front.

thanks a lot :D

very helpfull. Is there anything else u have to watch out for ? Otherwise thanks a lot :p

if you start with 38mm by the time you had 3mm of mirror on each side plus about 1mm of glue on each side you'll be in the ball park.

also remember when you're cutting the neck pocket, you want to move it 3mm towards the lower horn, otherwise when you put the mirror on it'll be blocking your access to the higher frets. also remember to make the whole outline smaller because the mirror the whole way around the edge makes it bigger.

you might want to chamber the body as well, it adds a tonne of weight.

if you start with 38mm by the time you had 3mm of mirror on each side plus about 1mm of glue on each side you'll be in the ball park.

also remember when you're cutting the neck pocket, you want to move it 3mm towards the lower horn, otherwise when you put the mirror on it'll be blocking your access to the higher frets. also remember to make the whole outline smaller because the mirror the whole way around the edge makes it bigger.

you might want to chamber the body as well, it adds a tonne of weight.

Shit.

I think that the ibanez trem wouldnt be held in properly if I only have 38mm of wood. What do u think ?

Shit.

I think that the ibanez trem wouldnt be held in properly if I only have 38mm of wood. What do u think ?

I dunno. You had better get everything measured up.

You can always make it thicker, it'll just be even more uncomfortable to play. I'd maybe reconsider the whole mirror thing. I rarely play my Mirror Manson replica because it's heavy and the sharp, hard edges make it pretty uncomfortable to play. A mirrored front with a contoured back would be much nicer!

I dunno. You had better get everything measured up.

You can always make it thicker, it'll just be even more uncomfortable to play. I'd maybe reconsider the whole mirror thing. I rarely play my Mirror Manson replica because it's heavy and the sharp, hard edges make it pretty uncomfortable to play. A mirrored front with a contoured back would be much nicer!

How thick do you think the guitar should be then, so it is comfortable to play ? :rolleyes:

Did you make a forearm countour tho?

When Im bored of it - I can always rip it all off and cover it with something different )

If you still go for the mirror thing, I'd definitely look into a forearm contour for it....I don't know how it's done exactly. the M1D1 had one apparently, so it's possible.

I will make a forearm countour definately (just dunno how) hha , and also the countour for the belly onn the back :)

Tele's don't have a sharp right angled edge though. Plus with the weight of the mirrored guitars isn't really not comfortable. With my old alloy guitar I did a back contour, it had to be 2 pieces though, you can't stretch alloy!

I dont think I'll have any problems with sharp edges coz I'll try to put the forearm contour in and hopefully that would be fine with my right hand. :stunned:

Anyway, that is far away )

I havn't started yet. So I'll come back to it later on :rolleyes:

Archived