At the recent Birmingham gig the man next to me (who was 5 foot 10ish) had a 5 foot young girl squished against his back. Literally in the groove of his back and looked like she was joined to him! I had a 14-16 year old male literally dry humping me the whole time. If you are comfortable queuing long hours, standing continually (except during the time when they tell you to sit), jumping, loosing your breath as you are pushed against flat metal, pushing back against a crowd and being tenderised like a steak, go for it. Centre barrier is extremely fun but be prepared. There is no personal space, you will end up with multiple people's sweat on you, you will have people try to squeeze in (not to be mistaken for the people grabbing the rail as they feel they need the support) but it'll be one hell of a ride.

Where do you think you'll have the best view to the stage, side barrier or in front of this 'rectangle stage podium thing'? I mean, do you have a restricted sight when you're in the middle?

In my experience (and I've done both the straight barrier and the podium), unless you're very tall you'll get a far better view of the whole stage on the straight barrier than by the podium, simply because the barrier at the podium is at an angle so you need to turn your head and stand on tip-toe to get a good view of the rest of the stage.

If I'm to go the the Emirates, I might have to take my grandma who would most probably not be able to stand up for the entire gig and would have to buy seated tickets. I've never been seated before but the main things I love about standing is being able to 'pogo' and sing along with the rest of the crowd. I was wondering, do these things majorly suffer when seated or is it not too bad?

If I'm to go the the Emirates, I might have to take my grandma who would most probably not be able to stand up for the entire gig and would have to buy seated tickets. I've never been seated before but the main things I love about standing is being able to 'pogo' and sing along with the rest of the crowd. I was wondering, do these things majorly suffer when seated or is it not too bad?

There are also people singing along to the songs, and if you want, you can stand and dance a little bit for the good songs, but of course you can't 'pogo' in the seated areas. Overall, it's ok.

depends on the rake of the tiers as to how much you can jump about IME

Going with my friend in december and we're both short and I'm really thin as well. Had no trouble at Leeds because my dad was acting as a human shield for me but we'll keep to the back a bit and enjoy not getting squished and ruining it for others for this gig after reading all this :)

Hm does anyone know how "rough" it will be in a General standing Admission pit

in a theatre in the U.S? I want to know if there is a difference between the pit "violence" in an open stadium gig and a closed theatre/center. Does it vary from state to state, as well as country to country? I am a female of petite size and I already bought seat tickets but I am thinking to purchase the standing room tickets. I am planning to wait a really long time so I can possibly reserve a spot at the front/center, which I am guessing will be the roughest part? Will there only be pushing in that area? Also I see more people use cameras more often these days, so I am guessing the pits are more calm now? This will be my very first concert, and as a noob, I want to be precautionary.

P.S. For those of you who buy merch before the show, where do you store them? A purse, in the pit? Eh I don't know. All of this is nerve-racking lol.

P.S. For those of you who buy merch before the show, where do you store them? A purse, in the pit? Eh I don't know. All of this is nerve-racking lol.

When I've bought merch in the past (I've only bought shirts) I just end up wearing it on top of the shirt I wore to the show. In the past I've been in seats and took my original shirt off in the toilets but for a small gig I went to recently I wore it on top of my other shirt. The concert went for about an hour and 15 minutes and I was pretty sweaty after it cause of my moshing and jumping.

Also don't worry about being worried. I'm the exact same as you :)

My daughter has a standing ticket for the Emirates Stadium, London. She saw Muse in 2010 at Wembley Stadium but had a seat. She didn't queue at all outside the venue, getting there when the doors opened, and there was lots of space in the pit because there were three support acts and a lot of people only came later to see Muse. She saw Radiohead in Berlin in September and queued from 7.00 am to get a place at the front. Do any of you who have been to Muse gigs in the UK know how early she would have to get to the venue if she wants to be at the front?

My daughter has a standing ticket for the Emirates Stadium, London. She saw Muse in 2010 at Wembley Stadium but had a seat. She didn't queue at all outside the venue, getting there when the doors opened, and there was lots of space in the pit because there were three support acts and a lot of people only came later to see Muse. She saw Radiohead in Berlin in September and queued from 7.00 am to get a place at the front. Do any of you who have been to Muse gigs in the UK know how early she would have to get to the venue if she wants to be at the front?

Since it's the Emirates, at least by 7 am.

When I've bought merch in the past (I've only bought shirts) I just end up wearing it on top of the shirt I wore to the show. In the past I've been in seats and took my original shirt off in the toilets but for a small gig I went to recently I wore it on top of my other shirt. The concert went for about an hour and 15 minutes and I was pretty sweaty after it cause of my moshing and jumping.

Also don't worry about being worried. I'm the exact same as you :)

I've seen people put their old shirts in the belt loops of there pants. Rather convenient.

yeah I've tucked t-shirts in my belt. I've also worn a vest under a long-sleeved t-shirt while queueing (November in Leeds...), then bought a t-shirt, taken the long-sleeve off and tied it round my waist and slid the vest down under the t-shirt and stuck that in my belt.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible that the merch is sold out after the show? Because I don't think that I'm going to buy a t-shirt after queuing for a few hours... And since it's December, do you guys normally use the cloakroom after queuing, I know that sounds really stupid but I don't know what to do with my jacket because it's the first time I'm going to queue when it's cold haha. :D

I'm going to the Sportpaleis around 3pm, I hope that I'll get a good spot...

Is it possible that the merch is sold out after the show? Because I don't think that I'm going to buy a t-shirt after queuing for a few hours... And since it's December, do you guys normally use the cloakroom after queuing, I know that sounds really stupid but I don't know what to do with my jacket because it's the first time I'm going to queue when it's cold haha. :D

I'm going to the Sportpaleis around 3pm, I hope that I'll get a good spot...

Just wear a (warm) sweater that you can wrap around your waist during the gig...when you que, you don't have time to go to the cloakroom. ;)

Just wear a (warm) sweater that you can wrap around your waist during the gig...when you que, you don't have time to go to the cloakroom. ;)

That's what I've done! ;)

To be honest, I expected something really different than what I've experienced last Tuesday. I was on the second line, just one person in front of me before the barrier. But I had "a lot of" space. I could still move most of the time. Yes, there were some moments where they started pushing etc but when I saw them at Rock Werchter in 2010 I couldn't move at all. No problems with that though, was also really great.

There was a woman next to me who wasn't tall enough to see them and she didn't like people jumping etc. That was at the beginning of the gig during Bliss, the 3rd song. I felt really bad for that woman but we're all there in the front to have fun and to see our favorite group... A few songs later I saw her on the other side of the barrier with the security... Too bad... She was also queuing. :(

And because there was still some space, you had those people who really have to get to the front, straight into the pit, with 4 beers while everyone's jumping. And then they're mad because somebody touched their drinks and their beer has spilled. Like, serious...

Had a really great time though. Those things just happen all the time, you'll get used to it. Didn't see anyone who was sick or something, because that's the only thing that I'll never get used to. If you're sick, please, don't go into the pit and don't eat too much before the gig, take my advice! :D

• 2 weeks later...
So, how early for the barricade at your typical US show?

Also, how does one solve the "safe hydration" and "bathroom visit" paradox, as one causes the other, and both of them cause a lost place in line/on the floor.

Don't laugh, Muse concerts are a science.

With the exception of maybe LA and NYC, you shouldn't have any problem making barrier if you're there by 10 am. Sometimes even later. I like to plan on 9 am to be safe. As for the pee/water factor, make friends with those in line and it's easy to take a break. Once you're inside though, all bets are off. Hold it, lol. Stop drinking around 5 and take your final pee break right before doors open. I was lucky enough at one gig to make it to barrier and then leave to go pee, and then get my spot back. But you can't count on that, and it would probably never happen except in the US.

For those of you who are afraid they won't be able to get out of the pit:

At the Ziggo Dome I hade to leave the pit for a while, and had no trouble doing so. If you move towards the back people see you coming and are willing to let you go through (they aren't afraid you are taking their precious spot). I even managed to find my friends back quite easily. Again: try to move to the front while you are on the side and than move backwards while you are going through the pit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been fortunate to see Muse at very small clubs and arenas, and never really had a problem getting back to my spot in the GA, except when they toured right after the release of Absolution. It seemed like people were possessed.

I am going to the NJ arena show, and honestly don't plan on lining up (because of work) or standing there too early in advance. I think an hour or so before, and I will get a good spot. But if you want to get to the barrier you should get early, especially if you are not too tall.

Stage for Muse shows is always away from the barrier, and don't think they will have a catwalk this time.

Good luck everyone!