with gigs coming up, I wanted to pop in and mention the topic I have 'advocated' in the past:

SAVE YOUR EARS! (well, your hearing, really)

link below is to the USA shop, I use these earplugs and they are GREAT

http://www.earplugstore.com/alpine-musicsafe-classic-ear-plugs.html

they're actually made by a European company I think! for those in UK and EU :)

and I have no affiliation with the shop or companies that sell them! I just don't want to not lose my hearing when I'm 50! :D

Thanks! Pam and I were just talking about these, and I was thinking about getting a pair.

I never used earplugs and never had problems :erm:

Dude. :noey: That's what I used to think. Judy knows all about it because we've talked about it. I went to a Melvins gig in April and when I got home my hearing was gone about 50%, and my ears rang solid for over a week. Even now, I can still hear the ringing if I pay attention. It's awful, it scared me, and now I'm a believer. /mom

Consider yourself lucky. I have persistent Tinnitus from going to gigs in my early 20's, and playing guitar cranked up too loud. I was using earplugs (usually just part of a paper napkin from the bar) since my mid/late 20's. Not everybody gets the "ringing" in their ears after shows, but if you do, it truly interefers with your sanity.

That's really horrible. I consider myself lucky that I seem to have mostly recovered.

Earplugs are always an option, if not in short term than for long term purposes. Especially if you go to a lot of gigs.

Of course it depends, when I saw LP it was an outdoor venue and I was all the way in the back and not too loud. When I saw Lightning Bolt even WITH the earplugs on it was louder than the former, so I'm glad I chose to use them.

Earplugs are always an option, if not in short term than for long term purposes. Especially if you go to a lot of gigs.

Of course it depends, when I saw LP it was an outdoor venue and I was all the way in the back and not too loud. When I saw Lightning Bolt even WITH the earplugs on it was louder than the former, so I'm glad I chose to use them.

Kueller, this is NOT AT ALL meant to be patronizing, but you're young yet. The MOST damage is from rock shows in smaller clubs. Yes, arena shows are loud, but clubs are louder. Trust me.

I saw Kasabian a few months ago in Philly at a mid-size club, and I didn't plug my ears. I kid you not -- that was one of the loudest shows I've ever been to. Certain notes resonated so loud in your chest and head, that you swear you were going to pass out. It was fucking crazy. NEVER AGAIN! :LOL: Plug 'em!

Kueller, this is NOT AT ALL meant to be patronizing, but you're young yet. The MOST damage is from rock shows in smaller clubs. Yes, arena shows are loud, but clubs are louder. Trust me.

I think you misunderstood. The loud concert I wore earplugs at was the small gig (

). No need to be patronizing, I know that the small venues can be really fucking ear-blasting so I'm always sure to bring earplugs for those.

His post is agreeing with and illustrating that fact. I don't know what age has to do with it. :erm:

Actually I can see that point. Younger ones are more likely to just hear everything at full blasts, iPod earbuds at full blast, and not realize the long term effects. At least I saw that a lot more often with the younger teenages than the mid-20's and up.

His post is agreeing with and illustrating that fact. I don't know what age has to do with it. :erm:

Because someone who is 18 years old probably hasn't done a hell of a lot of clubbing yet, that's all. I couldn't even get into clubs when I was 18. (I'm lying. I had a fake ID, which wasn't difficult to do way back when. ;) Maybe it still is easy??? :LOL:)

Also, I guess it did get passed me that he was saying he saw Lightening Bolt at a club. Apologies.

ETA:

Actually I can see that point. Younger ones are more likely to just hear everything at full blasts, iPod earbuds at full blast, and not realize the long term effects. At least I saw that a lot more often with the younger teenages than the mid-20's and up.

Okay -- this is how OLD I am. "Walkmans" didn't even exist yet in my early 20's! :LOL: So I forgot to consider iPods & such, and those obscenely loud sub-woofers in cars that set off parked car alarms. I'd be DEAF today if I grew up in the 2000's! :LOL:

Edited by jdeboer01

But isn't that more of an argument of intelligence and common sense, rather than one of age?

I was rail at Lollapalooza this year for the Black Keys, RHCP, At the Drive-In, and Jack White. They were all intense shows with tons of crowd surfing (I actually got kicked in the head by a crowd surfer security was pulling over the rail during the Black Keys.) At the Drive-In was the craziest thing I've ever been a part of, but as a huge ATDI fan, I knew to expect that. People were crowd surfing the entire show just because the moshing got so bad farther back, people were going down like flies. Even at an event as big as Lolla, most people were polite and understanding of the fact that there really was no space even at the rail. Everyone helped each other out, and as long as you look out for others and vice versa, GA is the best experience. I've never had a bad GA experience at regular arena shows either. This will be my first Muse show in Detroit this year.

At the Drive-In was the craziest thing I've ever been a part of, but as a huge ATDI fan, I knew to expect that.

Any stage diving at that show? :LOL: In the 90's THAT was intense! I never did it myself, but it was common. Does that still happen at any shows?

Muse crowds always seemed relatively tame to me :erm:

At a Cage the Elephant show I had people landing on my head/neck as they crowd surfed over the barrier. That was nightmarish. The worst I had at Muse was squishing. Granted, my dad said there was moshing further back, but it's easy enough to stay out of for a show like this I think.

idk

But isn't that more of an argument of intelligence and common sense, rather than one of age?

Well I wasn't implying people of a younger age had less common sense nowadays or something. It's more the technology. A teenager 40 years ago turning up their speakers at full is less damaging physically to the ear then a recent one turning up their iPod to full and blasting the audio directly into their eardrums (which is why I always use headphones), and a mobile device can be carried at all times.

Any stage diving at that show? :LOL: In the 90's THAT was intense! I never did it myself, but it was common. Does that still happen at any shows?

There was no stage diving this time. But Cedric was going nuts up there. I thought he was going to dive a couple times. It was great. ATDI wasn't on my radar in the late 90s since I was 10-11, but I've seen tons of videos from the shows back then. I was there for Jack White as much as ATDI, but it was hilarious seeing all the people who were just there for Jack and didn't know ATDI shit themselves when they started. They had no idea what hit them.

Muse crowds always seemed relatively tame to me :erm:

At a Cage the Elephant show I had people landing on my head/neck as they crowd surfed over the barrier. That was nightmarish. The worst I had at Muse was squishing. Granted, my dad said there was moshing further back, but it's easy enough to stay out of for a show like this I think.

idk

Outside Lands was still the roughest crowd I've been in so far. But then it was a festival so attracted a wide range of douchebags (who seemed to all leave before Muse came on).

Well I wasn't implying people of a younger age had less common sense nowadays or something. It's more the technology. A teenager 40 years ago turning up their speakers at full is less damaging physically to the ear then a recent one turning up their iPod to full and blasting the audio directly into their eardrums (which is why I always use headphones), and a mobile device can be carried at all times.

Yes, yes -- this!

The age reference was only about being old enough to get into clubs. I did not intend it to have anything to do with 'age and wisdom'!!

But then I was reminded that earbuds are injecting high volumes onto the eardrums of kids (and adults), and are equally as damaging as loud live bands.

Any tips for short people like me who still want to be in the pit even though they won't see much?

My few previous experiences were ok ... well awesome. I will be ok for Muse, but what I want to know is what do I do when I get lifted off my feet. I can't help but start to slowly panic, or at least feel not so safe any more.

first concert ever: U2, inner circle next to the Edge, dare I say it ... everyone had space :eek:

first Muse gig: managed to be down in 2nd row, at the time I thought all the pushing was horrible (only having been to U2 and on side-barrier at a tiny one-day festival), but now I think it was ok, definitely manageable

Wembley 1st night: at the sound tower (whatever it's called), was ok too

Wembley 2nd night: GA seated, no problems there, just didn't like it

Reading 2011: was on the barrier for 7 hours, was lifted out as I wasn't going to last until Muse, then stood further back still between 1st and 2nd barrier, it was great, except I was angry at myself for not being able to stay on the barrier. I think festival barriers are probably a no-no for me.

Reading 2012: at the front for Foo Fighters, not all too far from the barrier I think. Of course I was squished, but that was ok until I got lifted off my feet and I didn't particularly like that feeling of having no ground under my own feet except for other people's wellies :confused: I was starting to panic a little, didn't want to fall over. So I pushed my way to the back, calmed down. I tried to go back, not as far as I'd previously been with my friend, but I got lost in the crowd and ended up in a boring spot where people were talking, not listening to the music or jumping. It was only at the end when I was looking for my friend that I realized I had been standing between 2nd and 3rd barrier for the rest of the gig :facepalm:

Anyway, can't wait until the end of the month :D

Any tips for short people like me who still want to be in the pit even though they won't see much?...

Do your best to get on barrier and hold on as much as you can! Then when you feel lifted up, take a deep breath and relax your leg muscles and let others carry your weight while still holding onto something. As long as you keep your arms over barrier, leg and foot position don't really matter and it's sometimes more comfortable to have them resting off the ground. :LOL:

Do your best to get on barrier and hold on as much as you can! Then when you feel lifted up, take a deep breath and relax your leg muscles and let others carry your weight while still holding onto something. As long as you keep your arms over barrier, leg and foot position don't really matter and it's sometimes more comfortable to have them resting off the ground. :LOL:

Oh yes, I will definitely be aiming for the barrier. And good point about getting lifted off the ground if I'm in the middle of a squish, it would be a holiday for my feet, didn't see it that way :D

Watch out for the feet of fainted/crowd surfing people if you are at the barrier. If you don't see them coming, you may or may not end up being carried out yourself.

I received a couple of kicks from these kinds of people :(

I survived Enter Shikari crowd surfing mayhem at Reading Festival last year, got some good training there. Unfortunately I didn't last until Muse though :(

Watch out for the feet of fainted/crowd surfing people if you are at the barrier. If you don't see them coming, you may or may not end up being carried out yourself.

I received a couple of kicks from these kinds of people :(

If you're on barrier and security come running towards you, don't turn round! Just put your head down and cover your head with your hands.

i want to ask how long should i go to the hall if i want to be on barrier? I've never been on concert this big, concert at clubs are okey, eventhough youre not on barrier. But i want to be on barrier as Matt comes around. I want to enjoy the first gig as much as is possible.

and also, is it possible that there isnt any GA area on the concert? I just cant see it here http://www.stadthalle.com/events/Muse/6652

Concert is Nov 19: Vienna, Stadthalle

Edited by shiroo

hi i was just wondering if anybody had some advice for me. If muse does eventually come to australia in late 2014, will the pit be ok for me or will it be to rough? i am a 14 year old girl who will be 15 by that time and i am around average height for my age but i am quiet strong and stocky built. I can hold my own when it comes to handling myself and being able to stand being pushed ( i play rep grade soccer in the under 16s, so i know how to push and shove). My friend will most likely be coming with me and she has been to concerts before that aren't as big, where as i haven't, and she is the ame age. I am not caustrophobic and i am a pretty calm person when it comes to being squished against MANY other people (don't ask...).Also, if i get general addmission do u have to be in the midst of the pit, is it calmer at the back or on the outer edge? Any other relavent info would aslo be helpful thanks ):)

Ps. the concert i would probly would be going to would be one a Allphones Arena (acer arena) in Sydney, if the have one their:$