As was explained on the Columbus thread, iirc, it varies from venue to venue, you'd be better off asking on the thread for the gig you're going to as it's more likely that the folk there will have been to a gig at the same place recently enough for it to be the same process.

exactly. most of the time you'll get a wristband though i think. but i dont think that happens until a bit before the doors open. for the most part i think its informal. and just sort of monitored.

• 1 year later...

In fact it's the first concert I've been to in my life, so I'm new to the whole experience.

I got tickets for the Birmingham LG Arena but they are seated tickets, do people actually sit? And if (I'm hoping) people do stand is there actually room to move like you would down at the front?

I get up and bounce around, and a lot of people do, although some do remain seated. There's a fair bit of room but people around are likely to be a lot more restrained up in the seats.

I got told to sit down at the O2 (fail night) by someone behind me.

I punched him in the dick.

Most of the time people stay seated, they sure did at the last Muse concert I went to thankfully. Except for the odd super popular song of course which nobody minds as long as you sit back down afterwards!

To be honest I know people want to have a good time but I find it really annoying when people stand up in seats.. I pay to sit because I have a bad back and I find standing up for hours uncomfortable. To then be forced to stand up for hours with a plastic fold up seat digging into the back of your calves and some twat next to you elbowing you as he dances is really frustrating.

There's not much room if you do stand up as you're wedged in between people and the tiered seats don't have much room in front before you fall over onto the person below so standing up is really not great. I've seen people fall over the back of seats into the next row on a number of occasions and as amusing as it is, the person they fall on is never that amused.

The stewards have clamped down a lot on people standing up in seated areas over the last few years but it's pretty much accepted everyone will get up for the odd song and for the encore and everyone is cool with that, including the stewards.

Of the 19 (I think) Muse gigs I've attended, four of those were with seated tickets. At those gigs, the people all around were all standing-up and either jumping about or dancing. It was a little scary at the Royal Albert Hall gig because the seats were on a very steep slope! :LOL:

So uh... Any chance of maybe... Sneaking down to the standing area? Or is that pretty hard to do?

Nope, there are stewards around watching for that and apparently you have a wristband for standing whereas you dont for seating and they only let people onto the floor that have a wristband on. If it was easy a lot of people that couldnt get standing tickets would stand instead and there would be problems to do with space etc

I seem to be one of the very few people who prefers to be seated during a gig. I made some bad experiences in GA a few years ago (getting pushed around, almost having a panic attack etc.); also I'm rather short so I'm usually not able to see much of what's happening on stage, and I just can't take standing for several hours.

When I saw Muse in 2009 I decided to get a seating ticket and didn't regret it at all. I could arrive as late as I wanted, I got a great view of the stage (of course you're not as close as the people at the barrier, but your view is "wider"), I could sit down when I needed to, and most importantly I was still able to stand and jump around when I felt like it (which was most of the time :D). Of course I suppose I was rather lucky, as 2 or 3 seats next to me on both sides weren't taken, so I had some more room.

I hope I'll be just as lucky this fall. And hopefully no one behind me will tell me to "sit the f-ck down" :D

But just out of curiosity, if someone has some experiences: Is there still enough room to jump/dance with people in the seats right next to you?

This is great advice:

One thing that I might add. My husband and I did find that there is a way to get out of a pit safely, after the concert is started and you are being crushed like a sardine:eek:. If you are lucky enough to be with another person, put your arms around them and firmly start to push your way backwards. the people behind you will be more than happy to take your spot. Sometimes just knowing that there is a way out can help stave off that helpless feeling when you are in the pit so that you have the courage to stay. Good luck. See you in Helsinki!!!:D

• 3 months later...
I always have a hard time trying to see past tall people.

I see right through them. They have an app for that. :yesey:

But I'm super short, so I'm a barrier or soundbooth person. If I don't get barrier, I'll go to the back for arena shows. Hasn't happened with Muse quite yet, but I've done it with other bands.

We moved from the barrier at Roundhouse as the people behind were extra rough and my son (who has done barrier before without any problems) panicked. I lunged back (much to the annoyance of the people behind) as I moved him to a quiet spot. Yes there are quiet spots at the front so please be aware. The people there gave him room to breathe as they saw he was distressed.

with gigs coming up, I wanted to pop in and mention the topic I have 'advocated' in the past:

SAVE YOUR EARS! (well, your hearing, really)

link below is to the USA shop, I use these earplugs and they are GREAT

http://www.earplugstore.com/alpine-musicsafe-classic-ear-plugs.html

they're actually made by a European company I think! for those in UK and EU :)

and I have no affiliation with the shop or companies that sell them! I just don't want to not lose my hearing when I'm 50! :D

with gigs coming up, I wanted to pop in and mention the topic I have 'advocated' in the past:

SAVE YOUR EARS! (well, your hearing, really)

link below is to the USA shop, I use these earplugs and they are GREAT

http://www.earplugstore.com/alpine-musicsafe-classic-ear-plugs.html

they're actually made by a European company I think! for those in UK and EU :)

and I have no affiliation with the shop or companies that sell them! I just don't want to not lose my hearing when I'm 50! :D

I never used earplugs and never had problems :erm:

it's up to you, I just try to provide information :)

problems with hearing almost never show until later in life -

I guess it's like having sex - fantastic at the beginning ... but if you don't use a preventative, you don't find out there is a problem until it's already too late ;)

Consider yourself lucky. I have persistent Tinnitus from going to gigs in my early 20's, and playing guitar cranked up too loud. I was using earplugs (usually just part of a paper napkin from the bar) since my mid/late 20's. Not everybody gets the "ringing" in their ears after shows, but if you do, it truly interferes with your sanity.

One important thing about being in the pit at shows, is NEVER wear long earrings. I've seen many ripped earlobes at shows. I somehow don't think the pit at a Muse show will be nearly as rough as for some other bands, but expect to have your personal space violated, and don't even THINK about being in the pit if you're claustrophobic.

Edited by jdeboer01