Question, is crowd surfing the only way to get out of the pit? My first pit experience was in 04 at a green day show and my father was my protection and carried me out of there. Other than that I've never had to get out.

I have a friend coming with me and I have a feeling she'll be wanting to get out of the pit. Any other ways of getting out? This feels like a really dumb question :LOL:

Not always! Sometimes it's easy enough to move back or to the side; it differs from gig to gig.

Figured that ageees ago, but it is great advice. :LOL: also I have a strange ability to stress some kind of abnormality around me (sounds dumb). Yes, it's normal when the audience is pushing and shoving, but I can sense some kind of shift in attention with patrons around me, particularly when dealing with crowd surfing (long before I physically see the surfer) and people passing out. It sounds REALLY stupid, but I guess I have a heightened sense of intuition with gigs.

Aye, but I've had so many close encounters with getting the snot beat out of my head by crowdsurfers, even if I duck and cover. :LOL:

It really is smart, and it came in very handy that night when I spent literally the ENTIRE duration of Doberman doubled over the barrier with my head covered! Odd thing is, that's actually a slow song by Kasabian standards :LOL: That doesn't sound stupid, I get what you mean - I guess it's something you tend to pick up the more gigs you go to.

Same :LOL: Had a hefty bruise on my left shoulder after the O2!

It really is smart, and it came in very handy that night when I spent literally the ENTIRE duration of Doberman doubled over the barrier with my head covered! Odd thing is, that's actually a slow song by Kasabian standards :LOL: That doesn't sound stupid, I get what you mean - I guess it's something you tend to pick up the more gigs you go to.

Same :LOL: Had a hefty bruise on my left shoulder after the O2!

The roughest gigs I've ever been to are for The Hives gigs. Sounds weird, especially that The Hives aren't "trendy" anymore, but there are always some "punk" kids at every gig that get the crowd in riots. I've been a LOT of gigs, but never in my life have I ever been so badly hurt that I had to literally crawl the next week recovering. Even the slightest movements were unbearable. Plus, it doesn't help when Howlin' Pelle (lead singer) left a HUGE bruise on your chest from kicking it, and your scalp hurts because he was pulling your hair so hard. Which happened to me because he decided to stand on top of me several times, literally. GOD I love this band. :LOL:

I am really happy you started this thread because now I know I made the right choice in getting seats. I thought about getting GA, but the thought of being in such a tight crowd scares me shitless! Especially because I tend to faint when I stand for too long and I tend to panic in crowds :$ I also want to go there for the music and not so much for the action in the pit. I will enjoy wathcing the pit more than being in it ;)

So thanks a lot, I feel much reassured! :D

:yesey:

Better to find out now then in the pit!

Another thing: If someone wants out and needs help climbing over the rail, please offer a hand. Just be careful because the crowd tends to jump in immediately after the person has gone over the side to fill in the space they have vacated.

If you are far enough away from the rail, it is usually easier to make your way sideways or backwards to another exit.

:yesey:

Better to find out now then in the pit!

Another thing: If someone wants out and needs help climbing over the rail, please offer a hand. Just be careful because the crowd tends to jump in immediately after the person has gone over the side to fill in the space they have vacated.

If you are far enough away from the rail, it is usually easier to make your way sideways or backwards to another exit.

+1 in addition, do what you should so if you were to get stuck in an ocean current. Move in the along the direction in the crowd current.

The roughest gigs I've ever been to are for The Hives gigs. Sounds weird, especially that The Hives aren't "trendy" anymore, but there are always some "punk" kids at every gig that get the crowd in riots. I've been a LOT of gigs, but never in my life have I ever been so badly hurt that I had to literally crawl the next week recovering. Even the slightest movements were unbearable. Plus, it doesn't help when Howlin' Pelle (lead singer) left a HUGE bruise on your chest from kicking it, and your scalp hurts because he was pulling your hair so hard. Which happened to me because he decided to stand on top of me several times, literally. GOD I love this band. :LOL:

I remember you posting some of your pictures from that gig in the Franz thread ages ago! He really was on top of you :chuckle: It's odd though, I'd never have though that they'd get such a rough crowd.

This is an awesome post. I used to be all about the GA/pit area when I was younger but the past couple of years ago I started moving to getting seats. I'm just not all about getting abused to watch a gig anymore.

That being said, I HATE the people that complain when I stand in a seated area at a concert. It's a bloody CONCERT people. I've had food and drinks and other things thrown at me numerous times because I refuse to sit down. I paid for my seat and can do whatever I want to do in it.

This is an awesome post. I used to be all about the GA/pit area when I was younger but the past couple of years ago I started moving to getting seats. I'm just not all about getting abused to watch a gig anymore.

That being said, I HATE the people that complain when I stand in a seated area at a concert. It's a bloody CONCERT people. I've had food and drinks and other things thrown at me numerous times because I refuse to sit down. I paid for my seat and can do whatever I want to do in it.

yeah why would anyone sit at a concert?

i remember back in 99 or '00 when i was in middle school i went to a bsb concert :awesome: w/ my friends. the lady behind us said

"could you guys not stand during the show, my daughter won't be able to see too well"

seriously we just ignored her and enjoyed the show.

..the nerve of people to assume we should sit on our asses when we pay over $40 for a ticket to ENJOY the show.

I remember you posting some of your pictures from that gig in the Franz thread ages ago! He really was on top of you :chuckle: It's odd though, I'd never have though that they'd get such a rough crowd.

They do.

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

n571228014_948587_2260.jpg

Even though I'm reliving past gigs for other bands, there are at lease some general lessons to be taught. :LOL:

Great advice, everyone. I've had a pretty tame time at Muse gigs, to say the least. Worst pit was Fall Out Boy (lol) but that was a perfect storm of drunk frat boys and 14 year old girls who had never been in a pit and wanted Pete Wentz.

The best thing my group did was bring a big box of pop tarts. 1 box will work for a group of 3-4 and any that are left over, send them up the line. Packaged food is great. Sharing is caring, especially when sitting in line for 6+ hours.

yeah why would anyone sit at a concert?

i remember back in 99 or '00 when i was in middle school i went to a bsb concert :awesome: w/ my friends. the lady behind us said

"could you guys not stand during the show, my daughter won't be able to see too well"

seriously we just ignored her and enjoyed the show.

..the nerve of people to assume we should sit on our asses when we pay over $40 for a ticket to ENJOY the show.

If it was someone with a young kid, I'd probably offer to switch seats so that I could stand and they could still see, but otherwise I agree with you.

They do.

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

n571228014_948587_2260.jpg

Even though I'm reliving past gigs for other bands, there are at lease some general lessons to be taught. :LOL:

Ossum. I need to see them one day.

:awesome:

Great advice, everyone. I've had a pretty tame time at Muse gigs, to say the least. Worst pit was Fall Out Boy (lol) but that was a perfect storm of drunk frat boys and 14 year old girls who had never been in a pit and wanted Pete Wentz.

The best thing my group did was bring a big box of pop tarts. 1 box will work for a group of 3-4 and any that are left over, send them up the line. Packaged food is great. Sharing is caring, especially when sitting in line for 6+ hours.

POP TARTS <3 Always good to try and share what you've got though. . .means people are more likely to save your spot in line and look out for each other once you're inside.

I bring popsicles if it's hot. People are more likely to help you out later in case you get a fight with line cutters who didn't wait in line very long like what happened back in August in Hollywood for a Franz Ferdinand gig. :LOL:

What happened?

So when you're in the pit, is it possible to like, enjoy the actual music?

It really depends on a lot of factors. If you are really short, you need to be either up front, or way back where you can see. I am short and like to be up front, despite the risks. And would take a pummeling on the rail over a seat any day!

And yes, I have always enjoyed the music. There is no risk of not being able to hear it, no matter where you are, or how many people around you are singing along.

Seriously...people actually get upset if you stand in the seats area? I've only been to one other concert (linkin park lol)...and I recall a lot of people stood at that one. I figured...hey...it's a concert...everyone SHOULD be standing. I even laughed when my friend told me he would sit when he went (not a muse fan but just accompanying me). I was thinking...it's not Celine Dion...it's MUSE!

I don't understand how someone could go to a concert and just sit there. I'd be on the floor but I'm pretty small and short and figured it would be easier for me to be in the seats.

It really depends on a lot of factors. If you are really short, you need to be either up front, or way back where you can see. I am short and like to be up front, despite the risks. And would take a pummeling on the rail over a seat any day!

I'm 5'4", so shortish. And I'd definitely like to be able to jump around and be as close to the band as possible. As long as I can hear the music and see (to some extent) the band, I'll be happy.