Center stage and to the left is ridiculous. If you're in the center and you expect to not be moved by a sea of people, forget about it, lol. If you're in the center and worried you won't have a good view of Matt, forget about that too, because most likely the crowd will pick you up a few inches off the ground the tide will push you to just a few feet away from him. Been there, done that, lol.

Its not so bad, you just have to get over the claustraphobia/loss of control. Its a mental trick. If you can lose yourself for a bit, you'll be fine.

ugh that is irritating. whenever you're at the side where the lead singer is people just freak the fuck out! I ended up in the center 2nd row at the mcr/muse gig. I regretted that very quickly forgetting that is exactly the spot where gerard performs on stage.

I was elbowed, kicked, kneed and pushed throughout most of the show.

If you want to come to the gig drunk/high, get seats.

Can't agree with this part, lol. For me alcohol is an absolute must if I'm going to have soaking wet strangers packed against me like that. That doesn't mean I overdrink and act like a dick or puke on anyone. Just means I'm more equiped to particpate in the fun pit stuff and tolerate the bad pit stuff.

And yes there's risk of dehydration - and I have an absolutely crazy personal story about dehydration I won't share right now - but I usually limit the full-contact pit stuff to about an hour or less. I try to get in and get out. I've never tried to endure 5 or 6 hours of it.

To me the worst part is just standing for too long. Sore feet, sore legs, sore back - do not like. But in my experience the rough stuff mostly only happens up close to the stage. The other 75% of the fans in GA have a reasonable amount of personal space and can escape for a break when necessary.

Can't agree with this part, lol. For me alcohol is an absolute must if I'm going to have soaking wet strangers packed against me like that. That doesn't mean I overdrink and act like a dick or puke on anyone. Just means I'm more equiped to particpate in the fun pit stuff and tolerate the bad pit stuff.

And yes there's risk of dehydration - and I have an absolutely crazy personal story about dehydration I won't share right now - but I usually limit the full-contact pit stuff to about an hour or less. I try to get in and get out. I've never tried to endure 5 or 6 hours of it.

To me the worst part is just standing for too long. Sore feet, sore legs, sore back - do not like. But in my experience the rough stuff mostly only happens up close to the stage. The other 75% of the fans in GA have a reasonable amount of personal space and can escape for a break when necessary.

she said drunk. There is nothing wrong w/ people wanting a beer or two but when they are drunk that is a different story...some people can't handle their liquor.

If you're in seats, more importantly, don't tell the people who stand up for muse to "sit the fuck down." That happened to Mary, Lara, Liron and I at the SF show in 2007. Bastards.

Not really Muse related, but similar.

I went to the No Doubt/Paramore/The Sounds gig back in May and I had a seat. One of my favorite bands is the Sounds and I stood up for their set (they were opening) even though everyone except for a few other fans were sitting. I don't think it's a bad thing to stand up for a band, no matter even if they're opening, this was my band. I wanted to stand with the other fans, they had seats near the aisle, but mine was more center section. I was told by security that I wasn't allowed to stand anywhere but my seat. Anyways, these girls behind me kept telling me to sit down. I tried to be respectful and not jump/dance around as much, but as soon as they started to make fun of me, I held out my Swedish flag (The Sounds are from Sweden) as wide as I could to block their view. I only try to be nice until people start disrespecting me. If people want to see, they can stand up as well, the seating is elevated.

A good point is that if you don't like getting too hot don't wear jumpers or jackets, I made this mistake at the first gig I went to and because it was so tightly packed I couldn't take my hoodie off, and it kind of ruined it for me. What I do now if it's cold outside and I need a jumper I just tie it round my waist when I get inside, that also helps keep things in back pockets out of sight of pickpockets. I know this just seems like common sense but one of my friends made this mistake when we saw Queens of the Stone Age and passed out halfway through the gig which is never good.

If you are in seats, DON'T EXPECT TO SIT!! It's a rock concert, not the symphony! Last night 2 Musers I know didn't feel like standing for hours on cement, and one is rather petite and knew she wouldn't see much from the floor. They got great spots in the 3rd row of seats, but everyone around them made their lives miserable because they stood during Muse!

If you have a physical disability and can't stand, for heaven's sake ask about accessible seating. You don't have to be in a wheelchair, they must provide seating for those who need reasonable accomodations (like the '04 Wiltern show; my son was on crutches with a knee injury). They will provide seating that guarantees a good view if you are seated.

I couldn't have said it better myself, Mary!! We got yelled at for standing during Muse, everyone behind us was sitting on their arses having a picnic or something, so we ran down to the floor for the last few songs.

Also about jackets - some venues have coat checks, so make sure to find out about those ahead of time.

I'm terrified but really excited. I wanna see Maffoo but it's probably not worth getting pulverized. Hopefully I will meet up with Musers for Phoenix :) I won't feel safe with just my one buddy.

Also: there is a place to put bags? My phone is a bit of a brick.

I own a big Blackberry, I usually get a (tiny) bag with zipper and a loooong strap, and you can put it around your neck/shoulder. If it helps, you can even get a miniature lock and lock the zipper if you're really worried about pickpockets.

I couldn't have said it better myself, Mary!! We got yelled at for standing during Muse, everyone behind us was sitting on their arses having a picnic or something, so we ran down to the floor for the last few songs.

Also about jackets - some venues have coat checks, so make sure to find out about those ahead of time.

I've had many rotten experiences caused by jerks behind me who wanted to sit down. Happens at football games too a lot and I have a tough time dealing with it. I get pissed and feel awkward about trying to stand up and enjoy my show knowing someone is 18 inches behind me pissed about me standing up. I have Row 1 seated for Muse in Houston. Being first row in the balcony of an arena concert will be a first time experience for me and I've kind of been thinking about that, like what if everyone in my section is sitting down and I'm perceived as the bozo who's standing up for no good reason. But that's what I'll do because sitting in a rock concert is LAME! :LOL:

I'm terrified but really excited. I wanna see Maffoo but it's probably not worth getting pulverized. Hopefully I will meet up with Musers for Phoenix :) I won't feel safe with just my one buddy.

Also: there is a place to put bags? My phone is a bit of a brick.

go to etsy.com and look for phone cases w/ a strap.

i bought one recently from etsy...love that place :awesome:

I own a big Blackberry, I usually get a (tiny) bag with zipper and a loooong strap, and you can put it around your neck/shoulder. If it helps, you can even get a miniature lock and lock the zipper if you're really worried about pickpockets.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds perfect:happy:. Do you know where the Phoenix people will probably stand? It would be nice to be able to be with the group rather than complete and total strangers.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds perfect:happy:. Do you know where the Phoenix people will probably stand? It would be nice to be able to be with the group rather than complete and total strangers.

There's only one main queue, it'll be easy to spot us. We'll have a full camp going on. :LOL:

If you see the security guard in front of you coming towards you like he is going to grab a crowd surfer DO NOT turn around to see. My friend got a foot to her face doing that. So dangerous.

The whole shoe advice is funny. I'm a girly girl and live in heels even at shows. My feet may hurt at shows but the extra 4 inches help someone as short as me see.

I dont crowd surf or jump on peoples toes.

If someone falls help them up.

Do NOT crowd surf b/c you think it's :awesome: trust me it is not :awesome: it's annoying to everyone. Only do it if it's your only way to get out of the pit.

If you see a crowd surfer's shoe apporaching someone's head don't be afraid to protect and cushion that persons head or at least forewarn them in some way. It's okay to look out for one another. The person at first may be like :wtf: but once they realize why you did they will be all :awesome: and :happy: that you saved them from getting a shoe to their head.

Quoted this part of your post because I couldn't agree more :yesey: It's common decency to help people up if they fall. The girl behind me on the Thursday at the O2 nearly went flying when the crowd started moving side to side - I just told her to grab onto my shoulder if she felt she needed to!

As for crowd surfing - like you said, sometimes it really is the only way out of the pit. If it's a rough crowd and it's moving too much or it's too tightly packed to push your way out, and you really have no other choice, then I don't mind. If it's someone doing it purely for the sake of it then yeah, I think they're a knob :LOL:

AND YES YES YES to your last part. I ALWAYS do this for people next to me. One of the roughest crowds I've ever been in was when I was watching Biffy Clyro's set at V Festival this summer, and there was a group of five of us along the barrier who would always shield each other when someone crowdsurfed over!

she said drunk. There is nothing wrong w/ people wanting a beer or two but when they are drunk that is a different story...some people can't handle their liquor.

Another +1. Yeah, a few drinks beforehand is fine, done that myself. But getting steaming drunk is an absolute no-no in my book. Worst crowd I've been in for drunk people was Kasabian. FANTASTIC gig, knobbish crowd :LOL:

this thread makes me smile... my first muse ga experience was at randall's island in the sweltering heat. i was 2 deep, waited in my spot for at least 85 minutes (it was SO HOT that day) and finally the show started. i ended up getting kicked in the head at least 4 times by crowd surfers, pushed so hard, elbowed, etc... i'm an older fan than most on this board, and just as exuberant, but the truth is, i've been there, done that in the early 90's (it was fun having eddie vedder of pearl jam stage dive onto you and helping to catch him). after randall's i decided i don't want to deal with that any more... at the electric factory shows, i hung back a bit; got seats at msg last time (this time too) and at the u2 giant's stadium shows, i was 3 deep in the pit but it was a u2 crowd so no pushing...

can't wait for these gigs (going to msg & philly) and will be happy in my seats as long as we're close enough... if i can't score good seats for philly, we may opt for ga (there is ALWAYS a way to get ga's closer to the day of the show) and just stand back a bit from the stage....

it's going to be great fun!!!!

And this is why,

I will be a sane 14 year old (at the time of)

and take seats,

IF I land those Toronto tickets.

I mean, I was at the barricade for a Paramore show,

and was pushed,

grinded with (Unintentionally...?)

And was fully bruised afterwards,

but that was nothing.

NOTHING to what I think Muse would be like.

If you see the security guard in front of you coming towards you like he is going to grab a crowd surfer DO NOT turn around to see. My friend got a foot to her face doing that. So dangerous.

Only just seen this post (I'm a slow typer!) but yeah, I don't get why people turn around, it's just daft! At Kasabian in May, a security guard came up to me and my friend Kirsten before the band came on and gave us possibly the best bit of advice I've ever been given at a show:

"If you see me, or any of the other guards suddenly moving in front of you, duck over the barrier and fold your arms over your head."

Cannot. Stress. This. Enough. It's saved me from a possible concussion on SO many occasions!! :LOL:

And this is why,

I will be a sane 14 year old (at the time of)

and take seats,

IF I land those Toronto tickets.

I mean, I was at the barricade for a Paramore show,

and was pushed,

grinded with (Unintentionally...?)

And was fully bruised afterwards,

but that was nothing.

NOTHING to what I think Muse would be like.

You also have a young body. After so many gigs, when you become older, your body becomes somewhat calloused to handling rougher gigs that you barely even bruise anymore.

There's only one main queue, it'll be easy to spot us. We'll have a full camp going on. :LOL:

Sweet. It really sucks that there's no shade at all outside though :\ good thing there are fans?

I probably won't be able to get there around noonish, so hopefully there aren't going to be a ton of people who get there in the morning.

Question, is crowd surfing the only way to get out of the pit? My first pit experience was in 04 at a green day show and my father was my protection and carried me out of there. Other than that I've never had to get out.

I have a friend coming with me and I have a feeling she'll be wanting to get out of the pit. Any other ways of getting out? This feels like a really dumb question :LOL:

"If you see me, or any of the other guards suddenly moving in front of you, duck over the barrier and fold your arms over your head."

Figured that ageees ago, but it is great advice. :LOL: also I have a strange ability to stress some kind of abnormality around me (sounds dumb). Yes, it's normal when the audience is pushing and shoving, but I can sense some kind of shift in attention with patrons around me, particularly when dealing with crowd surfing (long before I physically see the surfer) and people passing out. It sounds REALLY stupid, but I guess I have a heightened sense of intuition with gigs.

Aye, but I've had so many close encounters with getting the snot beat out of my head by crowdsurfers, even if I duck and cover. :LOL:

Sweet. It really sucks that there's no shade at all outside though :\ good thing there are fans?

I probably won't be able to get there around noonish, so hopefully there aren't going to be a ton of people who get there in the morning.

Bring an umbrella, told the others about that.

I am really happy you started this thread because now I know I made the right choice in getting seats. I thought about getting GA, but the thought of being in such a tight crowd scares me shitless! Especially because I tend to faint when I stand for too long and I tend to panic in crowds :$ I also want to go there for the music and not so much for the action in the pit. I will enjoy wathcing the pit more than being in it ;)

So thanks a lot, I feel much reassured! :D