There has been a lot of conversation in various theads about how rough it can get in the pit. Some Musers' concert experience was ruined because they had a difficult time in the pit, rude/pushy people near them, etc. You have to know what to expect and be prepared for it, or you too will have a miserable time.

I will quote Solarbell's post from the Vegas thread, contains lots of good info:

I must comment that some of the complaints about the pit are unwarranted.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PERSONAL SPACE IN THE PIT. If you are in the pit, expect to be crushed, stepped on, pushed and fallen on. Don’t blame the person or persons directly around you UNLESS they are deliberately trying to slide their arms, legs, and body past you. 9 times out of 10, they are just being pushed by the surge of people around them.

IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY ON THE RAIL, EXPECT TO TAKE THE BRUNT OF THE FORCE. You have nowhere to go but into the rail, everyone else behind you is basically just one layer of a human sandwich.

YES, THERE ARE GOING TO BE DOUCHEBAGS AND DRUNKEN DOUCHEBAGS IN THE AUDIENCE. These are very easy to identify. They do not think twice about trying to elbow, punch, and grope their way to the front. They are also very belligerent if confronted. If you are near the front, you can wave down security. If not, you are pretty much out of luck, unless some fellow concertgoers nearby intervene.

That being said, I had a great experience in the pit, except for one small incident with a girl in the second row. I started off about 4th row from the rail, and by about the time Paper Tongues finished their set, I ended up being pushed into the 3rd row. I was between 2 tall guys and behind a girl about my height.

I was pushed so hard by the crowd, the full length of my body was pressed up against her back. I didn’t like it, but as I was pushed by the crowd, I had no choice, I couldn’t back up an inch, even if I wanted to. I’ve had guys elbows crushed up against my boobs, but as long as they weren’t trying anything, I have let it pass without so much as a look. I have even had guys completely pressed up against my back. Except for that one dude that was obviously grinding against me, I’ve let that pass as well.

The set ended and as the crew began to set up for Cage, the girl complained to the guy on my left, who was with her. Rather than ask me to move over, he just began to shove me to the right, this was despite the fact that he had a good foot of space on HIS left. I was pressed up against a girl on my right as well, so all he was doing was knocking me over onto her. I told him to stop pushing me. His girlfriend bitched at me that I had pushed my way forward. I informed her that I had BEEN PUSHED forward. I then asked her “Have you ever been in a pit before? When Muse starts, the pushing is going to get ten times worse.” She then called me a bitch. Everyone around me rolled their eyes at her. I just decided not to waste my time with her anymore. I certainly did not have a problem with anyone there until her idiot friend tried to shove me.

My point is, up until Muse came on, that pit had been the tamest I had ever been in. Once Muse came on, the pushing and shoving began, and it felt like old times! I had a blast! I didn’t push anyone on purpose, but I kept getting crushed into people on the left right and directly in front of me. Frankly, I would have been shocked if I hadn’t been.

I jumped up and down (jumping sideways, forwars, or back is impossible), waved my arms and clapped my hands like a maniac. The trick is, you wave and clap your hands OVER YOUR HEAD.

So don’t complain if someone gets in your personal space. You forfeit that right when you walk onto the floor. And expect to be pushed and shoved and crushed. It is unavoidable.

DO NOT ALLOW PEOPLE TO GROPE OR HIT YOU! Contact security, or if not possible, ask for help from those around you. The girl to my right expressed concern, as she had never been in a pit before and the guy behind her volunteered to be her human shield, even though they did not know each other.

If we all keep cool heads and work together, we can all have a good time! Albeit, with a few unavoidable bruises. :D

I would add a few more helpful hints: The GA/pit is great, a really intense concert experience, but you have to be ready to take the punishment that comes with it.

It really helps if you work out and have enough muscle power and stamina to brace yourself on the barrier or hold your ground in a crowd for the duration, which ends up being several hours. If you're not physically strong, you probably won't have a good time.

Must also mention the pre-gig hydrating, then several hours of fluid restriction so you don't have to go whiz and leave your precious barrier spot! Bring snacks in your pockets to stave off hypoglycemia.

And it's the few idiots (like the drunk girls in heels behind us in Vegas, moaning that their feet hurt: duh! wear sensible shoes! You will be standing in one square foot of space on hard cement for several hours) that make it miserable for everyone. Couldn't believe last night in Seattle, one real genius gal crowdsurfing in spike-heeled boots! Chucks with a good supportive insole insert are a popular choice. Wear sturdy jeans and a tee or tank; it gets hot! You will likely be drenched with sweat, much of it not your own! If you have long hair, bring an elastic to tie it up if you get too hot. Don't bring bags or coats, leave them in the car or at coat check. Put everything (basics only; money, camera, phone) in your pockets, or use a little camera case with a long strap that you can wear bandolero-style; you can put key/credit card/chapstick/granola bar in there.

It all comes down to preparation.

If you are claustrophobic and will panic if you are crushed from all sides and/or lifted right off your feet, get seats. If you are tiny and won't be able to see over people (yes, the 6'4" guys want to be down front too), get seats. If you want to wear a mini and heels, get seats. If you want to come to the gig drunk/high, get seats.

Part of the whole pit experience is how crazy and physical it gets, but make sure you are prepared. It's a rock concert, not a picnic!

More good advice from Jamie_H: My GA top tips:

1. Don't be that guy/girl that has a backpack on their back. Nobody likes that person.

2. Everyone is getting pushed, but that doesn't give you the right to jump into people's back when you have enough space to rock out without smashing into others. I will hit you.

3. No. I can't give you anymore room. There are a few thousand people who would like some more room. Deal with it.

4. Sing in tune.

5. Boyfriends; Don't complain that i'm being pushed up against your girlfriend. There is nothing I can do about it. I know you feel like you need to assert your dominance in front of your girlfriend, but stop it.

6. Single girls; If I make polite conversation whilst being pressed up against a personal place then I am trying to make it a little less awkward, not come on to you. Unless you want me to, in which case that's cool too.

Edited by gocanux

Mods: there have been threads like this before, but I think this will be pretty helpful to all the Musers who haven't been to concerts or haven't been in the pit before. It's a shame when someone's Muse concert experience is ruined because they were uninformed. So please don't lock it!

Mods: there have been threads like this before, but I think this will be pretty helpful to all the Musers who haven't been to concerts or haven't been in the pit before. It's a shame when someone's Muse concert experience is ruined because they were uninformed. So please don't lock it!

lol! I just made a new thread Mary! It is a little more indepth. My apologies to the mods if it is redundant!

Solarbell and I both posted basically the same new thread; I will repost her thread opener here, the mods can lock one of the threads but hopefully not both!

solorbell:

I very rarely make new threads, but it seems that in the last couple of gigs that I attended, there were quite a few people that came away from the pit disappointed and downright angry.

For the most part, it was due to lack of preparation on their part. They had never been in the pit before and didn't know what to expect.

Here is a quick Muse Pit Survival Guide for those of you who are Muse pit Virgins:

1. WEAR COMFORTABLE, CLOSED TOE SHOES. You WILL get stepped on and possibly kicked. If you wear flip flops or sandals, you will lose them possibly before the show begins and may never see them again. If you wear heels, you will be hating life within a very short period of time.

2. EAT A VERY GOOD MEAL AS CLOSE TO THE BEGINNING OF THE GIG AS POSSIBLE. Something high in protein will keep you feeling full longer. Bring in some munchies that can fit in a pocket, like a powerbar. If you are on the rail, you will not be able to leave it and come back unless there are some really understanding fans. Once Muse begins playing, FUHGETABOUTIT!

3. HYDRATE WITH PLENTY OF WATER BEFORE THE GIG STARTS, NOT ALCOHOL!. Some venues allow you to take in bottles of water, some do not. Find out before hand in possible. Alcohol will dehydrate you. If you are going to drink, please try not to over do it. No wants to be puked on!

4. IF YOU DON'T LIKE STRANGERS TOUCHING YOU, STAY OUT OF THE PIT! It is completely unavoidable. And keep your cool if someone bumps you. Nine times out of 10, they are being pushed by the crowd surge. Don't take it personally. There will be hours of what my friend calls "Intimate moments". :LOL:

5. PREPARE TO BE PUSHED, CRUSHED, STEPPED ON, AND SHOVED AS YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN BEFORE! Usually the most intense crushing lasts a few seconds, then the crowd surges back and everyone is ok, but things can get very intense. BE WARNED!

6. MAKE FRIENDS WITH FELLOW MUSERS AROUND YOU. Say hello, and try to get everyone to agree to form an impenetrable human wall when some douchebag tries to elbow and knee his way past you. TEAMWORK FTW!

7. DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO ATTACK OR GROPE YOU! Notify security immediately. Now, I have had parts of my body touched by others because they were crushed up against me but one dude was actually grinding against me. I told him to stop and the look on his face when I told him that my much taller husband was directly behind HIM, was absolutely priceless. He slunk away like the ass he was! If you find yourself being taken advantage of, notify security immediately. If you are trapped in a sea of people, ask guys around you for help. Another reason to make friends, btw! Most guys and girls will not stand by and allow this sort of behavior and will come to your aid.

8. DO NOT LOCK YOUR KNEES! What this means is, do not stand with your legs perfectly straight for an extended period of time. THIS WILL CAUSE YOU TO PASS OUT! Bend and flex your legs from time to time. The dude next to me in Vegas had to be pulled out of the pit before Muse even began their set. I felt bad for him, even though he had been acting like a douche earlier.

9. MAKE SURE YOUR CAMERA HAS A SMALL STRAP AND WRAP IT AROUND YOUR WRIST! If you drop it, it is likely gone forever.

10. DO NOT BRING A PURSE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. You will have to hold it the entire time and it will take you longer to get through the line, as it will be searched by security.

11. TRY TO LEAVE YOUR FANCY EXPENSIVE PHONES AND DEVICES AT HOME. It is sad, but pickpockets will take advantage of the fact that everyone is so close together. Keep personal belongings in front pockets, if at all possible.

12. HAVE A GREAT TIME! Play nice children, and everyone will have the time of their lives! :D

Edited by gocanux

I would have closed this thread, but seems it's still here. Let me repost the most important bit of advice:

And I almost forgot Wheaton's Law!!!!!

DON'T BE A DICK!!!!

LOL! You literally beat me in creating the thread by 3 minutes!

Still glad we were able to impart some important knowledge to all you Musers out there. Mary has taken her share of punishment for her fave band and keeps coming back for more!

Take precautions, and maybe we'll see one of y'all out there rocking alongside us! :happy:

Lots of great tips! :D

I'm one of those peeps that is claustrophobic. If I'm near the front and the crowd gets too much, I just move back a bit. I tend to hang to the sides also, just somewhere that I can move if it gets too tight for me, but I love being on the floor. :)

I'm always surprised when I go to a show and there are people wearing flip-flops in the pit.

I wouldn't wear loose jewelry of any kind.

Don't wear slip-on closed-toed shoes, like Vans. Choose shoes that tie on securely, or they will come off, and you will lose one/both and be in the pit barefoot!

Just wondering, but does this rule also apply to ugg boots? They are the comfiest closed toe shoes I own, but they are slip-on.

Just wondering, but does this rule also apply to ugg boots? They are the comfiest closed toe shoes I own, but they are slip-on.

Don't Ugg boots make your feet very warm even when you're just sitting around doing nothing? If you're going to be jumping around and stuff in them I think your feet will be sweating like crazy.

I've been to a ton of gigs, but honestly, Muse gigs aren't nearly as rough as most the bands I see. I didn't even break a sweat this weekend in Vegas! :LOL:

That is because you are an ANIMAL! :LOL:

I didn't find it that bad either, but there were quite a few people that had to be pulled out. One poor girl apparently had a seizure! :eek:

This is just basic advice for teh pit n00bs. Don't want any of them to miss out on an amazing gig because they were unprepared.

Don't Ugg boots make your feet very warm even when you're just sitting around doing nothing? If you're going to be jumping around and stuff in them I think your feet will be sweating like crazy.

Yup, sweaty feet = not good

It's usually calmest in front of Chris (all that head-banging is hypnotizing??), much crazier in the center and in front of Matthew.

If you are near Matt and he breaks into an awesome solo or riff, HOLD ON FOR DEAR LIFE! Everyone surges forward for a better view and to take a pic!

Never tickle a sleeping dragon.

Who's tickled you?

If they are light colour ones just be prepared to kiss them goodbye as they will be wrecked from people stepping on them.

I wear a pair of Dr Martens for gig - really sturdy and the most comfy shoes ever!

If you are in seats, DON'T EXPECT TO SIT!! It's a rock concert, not the symphony! Last night 2 Musers I know didn't feel like standing for hours on cement, and one is rather petite and knew she wouldn't see much from the floor. They got great spots in the 3rd row of seats, but everyone around them made their lives miserable because they stood during Muse!

If you have a physical disability and can't stand, for heaven's sake ask about accessible seating. You don't have to be in a wheelchair, they must provide seating for those who need reasonable accomodations (like the '04 Wiltern show; my son was on crutches with a knee injury). They will provide seating that guarantees a good view if you are seated.

That is because you are an ANIMAL! :LOL:

I didn't find it that bad either, but there were quite a few people that had to be pulled out. One poor girl apparently had a seizure! :eek:

:awesome: I even went to a Gogol Bordello gig, was in front of Eugene on the barrier and still didn't break a sweat! That crowd was much crazier than Muse. I'm not the person who stands still, I'm always crazy during gigs. :LOL:

YEAH she was having a seizure, she was being carried off in front of me, that was scary.

Percentage-wise, what are the chances that my glasses will get broken? I don't have contacts, and I kinda like to see. :erm: I've been wanting new ones, so I guess I don't care that much if they get pulverized. :)

Thanks for this thread. It's given me a lot to think (worry) about. ;) I'm definitely someone who likes to do the research and be prepared.

i didn't care to check if this has been said before, so if it's repeat stuff...sorry.

Don't encourage pushing. Pushing hurts the people up front and some people who aren't ready for it could fall and falling in a crowd is not fun.

Pushing will happen, I know, but don't egg it on... :indiff:

If someone falls help them up.

Do NOT crowd surf b/c you think it's :awesome: trust me it is not :awesome: it's annoying to everyone. Only do it if it's your only way to get out of the pit.

If you see a crowd surfer's shoe apporaching someone's head don't be afraid to protect and cushion that persons head or at least forewarn them in some way. It's okay to look out for one another. The person at first may be like :wtf: but once they realize why you did they will be all :awesome: and :happy: that you saved them from getting a shoe to their head.

Do not wear heels/pumps in GA. It would suck if you're jumping and the spike of your heel stabs someone's foot.

yeah and do not wear flip-flops either.

p.s.

get there at a decent time if you want a good spot in GA. don't expect to get there 30 minutes before the show starts and think it's okay to push your way to the front.

and last but not least...have fun! :awesome: and look out for one another.

Percentage-wise, what are the chances that my glasses will get broken? I don't have contacts, and I kinda like to see. :erm: I've been wanting new ones, so I guess I don't care that much if they get pulverized. :)

Thanks for this thread. It's given me a lot to think (worry) about. ;) I'm definitely someone who likes to do the research and be prepared.

they'll stay on your head, I promise! unless you get involved in moshing then there will be a huge chance they'll fly off.

Edited by paper tiger

50/50. I wear glasses, never worn contacts ever. I almost broke my glasses as several gigs (Muse gigs are tame compared to most I attend), but as long as you're aware of the people around you (particularly crowd surfers), you'll survive. Duck and cover!

It's usually calmest in front of Chris (all that head-banging is hypnotizing??), much crazier in the center and in front of Matthew.

Center stage and to the left is ridiculous. If you're in the center and you expect to not be moved by a sea of people, forget about it, lol. If you're in the center and worried you won't have a good view of Matt, forget about that too, because most likely the crowd will pick you up a few inches off the ground the tide will push you to just a few feet away from him. Been there, done that, lol.

Its not so bad, you just have to get over the claustraphobia/loss of control. Its a mental trick. If you can lose yourself for a bit, you'll be fine.