Technically, there shouldn't be any distortion anywhere. Now I've had a chance to listen to BH&R, you can hear clipping everywhere.

Compression can be used to make things sound richer, so I wouldn't go slagging it off too much ;)

Compression is used all the time, on everything, it makes things more comfortable to listen to because the quiet things arent almost inaudible and the loud parts dont blow ur ears off.

Its especially used on drums and if u ever heard a drum track without compression on it, its rubbish and would just mess up the end product of the song u were recording.

Compression is often used to a much too higher level in dance music but this gives the effect the producers want for it. But it is used loads throughout the industry, especially multiband compressors which can greatly improve the sound and emphisis of an instrument by compressing certain bands of frequencies more than others.

btw haze this isnt directed at you i just wanted to include the partabout richness lol

but i would like to know where u can hear clipping in BHandR becuase id be really suprised if they released the album with any clipping atall.

(and distortion is caused when sound clips/peaks because the wave hits its "peak" and cant go any further so just distorts the overall sound.)

Live Albums used to be left out of the Loudness war, the first muse live album was, I am hoping the DVD version of this album wasn't brick walled?

I didn't realise an early version of MOTP is available, where can I get it?

I recently found that you can download the drums, guitars, vocals and drums of SMBH separately, I downloaded them and created my own master of the song.

but i would like to know where u can hear clipping in BHandR because id be really surprised if they released the album with any clipping at all.

Really

lol.....sometimes when u just import a song it imports it so loud that it peaks. This is obviously one of those times. It wouldnt be peaking when ur playing it in something like itunes, unless of course u have EQed it or ru nit through something that would be boosting it.

IM not saying the loudness war doesnt exist, but they wouldnt release an album with any peaking what so ever, let alone something like that. Its probs just the programme your using importing it at a louder level than its meant to be.

Then you're quite welcome to show me exactly what in this code is doing this to BHaR while leaving this 1991 album quite intact. Funnily enough, it does this to all modern albums, while leaving those released before 1990 well alone.

Edit:

These are the switches I always use:

$ icedax -B -paranoia -D /dev/sr0

This is what happens when you turn it up to 11!

Where can one hear the other edit of map of the problematique? Can you download it off itunes by any chance?

I'm not sure, someone sent it to me I think. It sounds like a metallic mess unless you turn your preamp down, in which case it sounds like flat noise with white static in the background. Not worth the bother really, but it's probably on Muselive.

I'm not sure, someone sent it to me I think. It sounds like a metallic mess unless you turn your preamp down, in which case it sounds like flat noise with white static in the background. Not worth the bother really, but it's probably on Muselive.

hang on I thought the other edit was supposed to be better?

Hang on, you're not talking about the Rich Costey edit?

I don't know! I haven't heard it!

I was going from this:

Anyway, I've got a copy of Rich Costeys edit of MOTP on my itunes, I think it was part of the souvenier download right after the Wembley gig, and I played his edit alongside the album version and it's so obvious that the album version has been affected by its mastering. Who makes the decision to add this compression then if its not Costey ? or is he instructed to do it ? 'cos his edit, level wise sounds a lot better.

I don't even care that much.

I don't know! I haven't heard it!

I was going from this:

I don't even care that much.

It still sounds really metallic. It's not quite as bad before the drums come in, but it's bad.

It's not really Costey's fault though, as pointed out on hydrogenaudio.org a while back, if you look at the waveforms as they are now, you can see that there was a lot more variation in amplitude before someone decided to make it louder. The top of the waveform was effectively lopped off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was mastered by Vlado Meller, I think he might have Alzheimer's because he obviously confused by what 0dbs means, also I think his hearing must be going, I think its time he was put in a retirement home.

• 10 months later...
Wow, those levels are terrible. "But music like this is supposed to be loud" is completely missing the point. We're talking quality here.

Here is a good article as to why this sort of thing is BAD. It's long and technical, so I've warned you in advance. :)

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicrange.htm

+10000000

Many people don't understand the difference between loudness and dynamic range. The latter means quality, the former is bad!!! I hope Muse doesn't succumb to the Loudness War once again with the 5th album.

Ladies & gentlemen... this is Map of the problematique:

187631323_7a2357d68c.jpg

Congratulations to all the people involved in the mastering process; thanks for destroying the album and my ears :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm

http://brianstagg.co.uk/p_t_a_clipressed/

You mean thanks for ruining EVERY album these days?

If you thought Muse's commercially aimed albums were going to skip past the limiters you need slapped.

wow, i didn't know that b4...

This quote would be good in the many debates on this topic.

I don't think Muse's albums would vary greatly if they weren't squashed like this, they've hardly done a death magnetic

the next album with it's orchestrations will lose all it's implied dynamics if it;s over compressed like this though

I think the biggest difference between the early period(Showbiz, OoS, Hullabaloo) and the later(Absolution, BH&R) is the digital compression. The early songs are real punchy, and the later ones are just loud. Weirdly enough, Soldier's Poem seem to sound good.

I think the biggest difference between the early period(Showbiz, OoS, Hullabaloo) and the later(Absolution, BH&R) is the digital compression. The early songs are real punchy, and the later ones are just loud. Weirdly enough, Soldier's Poem seem to sound good.

yea, there's no justice in this world....when it comes to mastering engineers being forced to crank every album they get

• 2 weeks later...
I got Stockholm Syndrome, took out the center panned audio. And it looked perfectly fine. I put it back in, but I only put the lower frequencies in(chris) and it maxed out on the dB's. Haha, would you guys rather not hear Chris playing bass at all in stockholm? :)

It would be nice if they mastered the tracks in a way that didn't regard the loudness wars on the radio. After all, 99% of people listen to Muse on their home equipment anyway.

the next album with it's orchestrations will lose all it's implied dynamics if it;s over compressed like this though

:( Never thought of that... completely true though. Thats a scary thought, I just hope that this 'symphonic monster' is intentionally in the right place... i mean, i hope its intended as a real, raw symphony (like they're usually recorded) and not a commercial piece of art.

Archived