I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago abot the poor mastering of Muse CDs. Obviously most people are absoultely clueless about how brickwall filtering and dynamic range compression is destroying the quality of recordings. It does not have to be done this way. There are plenty of exmaples of CDs that are not recorded this way. The end result is that you have a Muse CD that has a soundstage that is as flat as a wall, distortion on the bass and bass drums and sibilance on Matt's voice.

I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago abot the poor mastering of Muse CDs. Obviously most people are absoultely clueless about how brickwall filtering and dynamic range compression is destroying the quality of recordings. It does not have to be done this way. There are plenty of exmaples of CDs that are not recorded this way. The end result is that you have a Muse CD that has a soundstage that is as flat as a wall, distortion on the bass and bass drums and sibilance on Matt's voice.

Technically, there shouldn't be any distortion anywhere. Now I've had a chance to listen to BH&R, you can hear clipping everywhere.

Compression can be used to make things sound richer, so I wouldn't go slagging it off too much ;)

Technically, there shouldn't be any distortion anywhere. Now I've had a chance to listen to BH&R, you can hear clipping everywhere.

Compression can be used to make things sound richer, so I wouldn't go slagging it off too much ;)

A bit of compression is necessary. Excessive compression sucks.

Perhaps distortion is the wrong term. Nevertheless, the bass on SMBH sounds like absolute crap and the sibilance on Matt's voice is driving me nuts.

Muscial tastes aside, if anyone wants to hear how a properly recorded rock CD can sound, listen to some Steely Dan or Porcupine Tree remasters.

• 1 month later...

I don't think compression was the problem here.. only limiting.

and the problem is not the volume it's the fact they have ripped out any kind of dynamics, added tons of distortion through clipping where it shouldn't be and the album is full of phasing problems making it sound very akward indeed on many occasions

basically, the mastering process has completely fucked up the album and I'm pretty sure the Muse guys will be fucking pissed off about it too

I'm married thank you very much

if the sound quality doesn't matter for you, or you're too lazy to turn the volume knob then I guess there's no problem with the album

for people who like to enjoy music that's not raped by a mastering engineer the album's production is a fucking disgrace

anyway.. I'll let you children get on with it

stupid childish animated gifs and fanboy comments don't post themselves

personally, I'm sure 'the muse boys' wouldn't have released an album they weren't happy with....

...so basically you come across as saying that either they are deaf to the 'fucking disgrace' that you hear or they didn't care that they'd ripped off real music lovers.

personally, I'm sure 'the muse boys' wouldn't have released an album they weren't happy with....

...so basically you come across as saying that either they are deaf to the 'fucking disgrace' that you hear or they didn't care that they'd ripped off real music lovers.

as Niles said, they don't get to decide who masters the album..

most bands would be happy if they get a say in the production at all, pre mastering.. I'm sure they had control over the pre-mastering production (they're 'big' enough to have control over that) but after that it's the record company who goes to the mastering house.. and they do what they always do "dear mastering engineer.. can you make it loud!!!! Brickwall the hell out of it, please!! this one needs to be commercial" :rolleyes:

the Muse guys will probably only hear the raped mastered version after it's printed, and I'm pretty sure they will NOT be happy with the result

I'd love to hear their view on it

• 1 year later...

There is good loud and bad loud, good loud is when you turn the music up your self, and bad loud is this sort of shitty mastering.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

And look at the Klaxons, to think they actually gave The Klaxons an award for that peice of garbage, that, if they had not messed with the levels would have actually been a good album!

uugghhhh i hate muse, their albums are recorded like balls. i'm not biased at all, as you can plainly see by my love for crap stuck-in-the-past elevator music, which is clearly recorded better than any muse track. uggghhh angst ugghhh 16 year olds uggghhhh animated gifs and fanboys uunnnnnggghhhhh

*head explodes*

all i know is that when I blast map of the problematique in my car, everything sounds like mush, but if i play something like muscle museum all the highs are crisp and the lows are nice and punchy.

MotP seems to be balls from production pov anyways. It's all mushed together and unclear. I don't know, what they were after, but it sounds bad.

The reason for making it as loud as possible is partly to get it noticed on radio or TV, but also, musicians just like everything stupidly loud, constantly.

More like the radio stations demand the songs are mastered that way so their volume level remains relatively constant. Otherwise you'd have to turn up and turn down all the time.

Just because its been cut at high levels doesn't mean you have to listen to it loud.

What it means is that because its so loud your turn the volume down to your level, and because the everything is the same volume, the bits that should sound louder, like the drums, stay the same volume as everything else.

More like the radio stations demand the songs are mastered that way so their volume level remains relatively constant. Otherwise you'd have to turn up and turn down all the time.

Why not just send them load versions then?

I have been told that Vinyl records don't get this loudness treatment, anybody own either of the last two albums on Vinyl. Also I have read on the net that there are ways to reduce the loudness de-clip and restore the music, I might try this and then I will post a clip.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for dragging this up .. but only just starting reading up about this after a review I saw of the new Wembley CD - and its interesting stuff. To be honest, now listening back through Showbiz, it does sound so much more of a cleaner sounding record than BHAR.

Anyway, I've got a copy of Rich Costeys edit of MOTP on my itunes, I think it was part of the souvenier download right after the Wembley gig, and I played his edit alongside the album version and it's so obvious that the album version has been affected by its mastering. Who makes the decision to add this compression then if its not Costey ? or is he instructed to do it ? 'cos his edit, level wise sounds a lot better.

Bit geeky all this hey. Interesting none the less...

Ladies & gentlemen... this is Map of the problematique:

187631323_7a2357d68c.jpg

Congratulations to all the people involved in the mastering process; thanks for destroying the album and my ears :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/dynamicdeath.htm

http://brianstagg.co.uk/p_t_a_clipressed/

lol.....sometimes when u just import a song it imports it so loud that it peaks. This is obviously one of those times. It wouldnt be peaking when ur playing it in something like itunes, unless of course u have EQed it or ru nit through something that would be boosting it.

IM not saying the loudness war doesnt exist, but they wouldnt release an album with any peaking what so ever, let alone something like that. Its probs just the programme your using importing it at a louder level than its meant to be.

Archived