stuartrushforth

Well your guitar signal is just mono, so you can just run it through the KP mono too with no problems. I've never noticed any difference in the effects between mono and stereo, they seem exactly the same either way. The KP3 does have some panning effects I think that would obviously be for stereo use, but otherwise, you can just use mono if you want to. I do on my Kaossilator Pro, just mono in and mono out. The reason I use stereo out on the KP3 is that I have more than one input in there. In one input I have the guitar signal, but in the other input I (will) have the GR-55 as a separate input. I think if you have two inputs but only use one output, you're only going to get the output of whichever side channel you choose, but I need to combine the signals back into a mono signal to go back to my amp. It's a bit complicated but works brilliantly. So basically, I just need to blend those stereo signals into a mono signal at the end of the chain because I have extra stuff going in there as a way of joining the signals together. Otherwise it would work fine to just use mono! ;)

Do any of you guys have any experience with using the KP2 in conjunction with an MB-1?

Do you require MIDI cable and the R** (whatever theyre called) cables at the same time to control it through the x-y controller directly into an amp?!

Cheers

Do any of you guys have any experience with using the KP2 in conjunction with an MB-1?

Do you require MIDI cable and the R** (whatever theyre called) cables at the same time to control it through the x-y controller directly into an amp?!

Cheers

Yeah

MIDI cable is required to connect the guitar to the KP2

and then two RCA to 1/4" jack cables to connect the KP2's line in and line out to your amps effects loop return and send.

I'm pretty sure these are the ones I'm using

two of these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PQR20

and one of these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDI20

• 5 months later...

Hi, this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything after doing a search quickly.

Does anyone know what the best type of 1/4" to RCA cable is for connecting a KP2 to a pedal board etc? I looked at the link James90 posted in this thread but it's an American site, and I live in the UK (does ship here but would probably cost a fair bit). I don't want to buy a cable and it to turn out being rubbish and breaking dead quickly.

Also, I use a Vox amp from the '80s, so it doesn't have an fx loop or anything. Just the input for the guitar. Will that matter at all? It works fine with my pedal board as it is just now.

Hi, this has probably been asked before but I couldn't find anything after doing a search quickly.

Does anyone know what the best type of 1/4" to RCA cable is for connecting a KP2 to a pedal board etc? I looked at the link James90 posted in this thread but it's an American site, and I live in the UK (does ship here but would probably cost a fair bit). I don't want to buy a cable and it to turn out being rubbish and breaking dead quickly.

Also, I use a Vox amp from the '80s, so it doesn't have an fx loop or anything. Just the input for the guitar. Will that matter at all? It works fine with my pedal board as it is just now.

Need anything like this...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-1-4----RCA-Dual-Patch-Cable-100938133-i1166753.gc

Tons of places to find them for sure, someone on your side of the pond might have a more local link. It isn't a cable that is moving all over the place all the time, so super durability is necessary, but don't want the cheapest one either.

As for your amp, making it later in the chain, the better, it is preferred to be after all the major effects, but if not, not much you can do. If you are using pedal distortion as opposed to amp, you'll mitigate some of that problem. You just get the most out of the effects when it is applied to the final sound, and nothing isn't applied over the KP

why late in the chain ?

At the beginning, it's better in my opinion, because you can use your others effects on the kaoss pad synths.

I prefer end of signal because otherwise anything you do with Kaoss gets effected by the following effects. Can be okay for getting some delay or something of that nature onto a synth sound, but I don't really want my synth running through a marshall distortion or something like that. Also, with it at end of the signal, any sound modulation done has a strong effect on the sound, as opposed to a subtle effect hidden in the back.

The line level synths are going to be scarily loud run in front of an amplifier, surely?

My thoughts also. It will work fine however. In my opinion delays and modulation effects should go in the effects loop and if not as late in the chain as possible.

most of the time, for muse stuff, you need a little bit of overdrive with the kaoss pad.

EDIT : Phill & Tom! You're right, but it depends what you use on the KP. Actually, I only use synth and " fx " things, it's loud, but as I said, it's in a loop of my boss ls-2, so I can control the volume, so it's not a problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, haven't posted in a while but thought some of you might like playing with this...

http://engine-turning.co.uk/mu-pad/

It's basically an app for the iPhone/iPad that lets you use your phone like a kaoss to make some muse-esque sounds. I'm still adding to them at the moment so if you've got any comments/suggestions just PM me!

They're not really meant for professional music production or anything, but you can still tweak the sound quite a lot and some of you might find some use for it!

• 2 weeks later...

This will show my lack of knowledge about MIDI...

Is it possible to control a Whammy pedal from a Kaoss Pad? I connected my WH4 and KP2 together earlier with a MIDI cable and messed about a bit with changing the MIDI channels on both devices but didn't have any luck. I'm sot sure if they both support the right CCs, I'll have another look at the manuals.

There are MIDI in & out ports on the back. I'm sure I read somewhere that it can be used to control other effects units

It can control other devices.

Just the Whammy is a bit weird. You'll just need to look into how to change which CC number the X and Y axis on the KP is controlling.

• 3 months later...

How do people run their KP2 in their pedal chain? I've found that some things sound better pre-distortion others sound better post-distortion. I'm slowly going to start putting together a pedal board, and I am thinking of building a bastardized line selector.

Basically I will have two pedal loops in my chain, loop A will have distortion type pedals in it, Loop B will be the KP, and possibly anything else I'd like to switch the order of. Then the home made line selector will be able to swap the order of Guitar -> A -> B -> Rest of chain or Guitar -> B -> A -> Rest of chain.

Am I onto something useful here or possibly wasting my time.. possibly better options for a good setup?

Archived