Looking for a new beginner electric guitar

Guest Smit

you're leaping in head first with all of this.

the best way really to go about getting your first guitar, amp etc is to go into your local guitar shop and see what feels nicest for you. Great that you're a muse fan, but getting an MB-1 is probably a bad idea for starting off with :LOL: ! don't just get a pacifica cos it looks a bit like matts guitars. you never know, you may think it feels horrible to play. I ended up getting a Warlock as my first guitar cos the neck had a great feel to it.

Similar story for amps. If you cant play a guitar, ask the guy at the shop to demo a few good starter amps for you and listen to what you think sounds best. As far as fuzz, I've a Big Muff and they're awesome, very versatile and sound great. HOWEVER, again, you might think it sounds shit, and that something else sounds better.

My suggestion, go down to your local guitar shop with a good lot of time in hand and get a feel for something you like. Everyone's preferences are different. You'll have plenty of time to collect muse gear when you get an idea of what kind of gear feels right for you. Who knows, maybe a fuzz factory might sound shit to you?

you're leaping in head first with all of this.

the best way really to go about getting your first guitar, amp etc is to go into your local guitar shop and see what feels nicest for you. Great that you're a muse fan, but getting an MB-1 is probably a bad idea for starting off with :LOL: ! don't just get a pacifica cos it looks a bit like matts guitars. you never know, you may think it feels horrible to play. I ended up getting a Warlock as my first guitar cos the neck had a great feel to it.

Similar story for amps. If you cant play a guitar, ask the guy at the shop to demo a few good starter amps for you and listen to what you think sounds best. As far as fuzz, I've a Big Muff and they're awesome, very versatile and sound great. HOWEVER, again, you might think it sounds shit, and that something else sounds better.

My suggestion, go down to your local guitar shop with a good lot of time in hand and get a feel for something you like. Everyone's preferences are different. You'll have plenty of time to collect muse gear when you get an idea of what kind of gear feels right for you. Who knows, maybe a fuzz factory might sound shit to you?

:LOL: Yeah, not going to be getting an MB-1 anytime soon, don't worry. I am planning on driving to the closest shops (like 2 hours away in Memphis, I live in the middle of nowhere) soon, I just want some amp suggestions to try out, as I don't even know where to begin really. I am on a pretty tight budget, though. I'm saving for a cross-country move, which will take a loooot of my money. :unsure:

a few tips,

1) Don't let anyone pressurise you into a deal.

2) Go for what sounds and feels right for YOU.

3) Don't be afraid of asking for assistance at any point, their jobs are to sell you gear, let them do their jobs...

4) Just before handing over the cash, haggle, I don't know what its like over in America, but over here they EXPECT you to haggle... (unless its guitar centre, where it might be hard for them to give out "freebies")

oh.... well if you're looking for stuff to try out, i can speak for vox. They've a range out called the Valvetronix range. Their awesomely priced, and they're hybrid amps (they've a tube in the preamp). They also come with a tonne of built in effects. Marshall also have a similar range, with i think is called something like AVT (active valve tech.) or something like that. Vox and Marshall are really good for starting out with. i'd recommend keeping an eye out for those, particularly as they sometimes have built in effects.

• 1 month later...

So... I just bought my first guitar, which is a Squier Bullet Strat... I chose that one because I heard it was a good choice for beginners.

I am kind of on a budget (I only had about 250 $ to spend) so I got the cheapest amp which is a fender frontman 10G. I'm not entirely sure if that was a good choice. :$ but it was really small and I liked that because I have the smallest bedroom ever.

I've been wanting to play guitar for so long, since I was about 12, and finally my dad let me get one now that I am 19. I basically know nothing about guitars.

I was just wondering if there are any good tutorials online that anybody can direct me too. Right now I've been practicing this:

because my fingers are being stupid and cannot play chords or anything.

Also, my grandma is coming into town soon and she is pretty excited that I am playing guitar and is going to take me shopping for some parts and what not. Does anybody have any suggestions? This will be the last time in a very long time that I will be able to afford these things, so I was just wondering if there were any good investments to make...

Sorry about the randomness, I'm just really excited. :D

Youtube is probably a good bet for lessons, it's just finding the right stuff amongst all the crap. Keep practicing those finger exercises and keep practicing fingering chords. In time you're hands with get used to making the shapes. Get the basic open E, G, A, C, and D chords down and the Am Dm Em minor shapes wouldn't hurt either.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/openchords.html

If you're struggling reading the chord diagrams let me know and I'll explain them to you.

Also practice switching from one chord to another as you start getting used to fingering them.

As for the gear you've purchased, that should serve you well. All you need at the moment is the guitar, amp, a lead to connect them up and a tuner will be very handy a metronome would be a good idea too, practicing those finger exercises and chord strumming and changes to a click would be good for your timing, although it's not essential just yet.

It's best not to go out and by any effects pedals and things like that just yet because it's better to focus on learning the basics and not getting carried away with noise just yet :)

Good luck!

Cool. Yeah, my friend is giving me his old tuner/metronome. I also found this website http://www.justinguitar.com he gives pretty clear lessons.

I've been practicing the A, D and E chords, I think I have them memorized. I can kind of switch between them, on the website I am on the anchor fingers lesson.

I can read guitar scales, but I am having trouble with the tabs. I've read what everything means, it's just looking at an actual tab is incredibly confusing. I never know which fret they start on and there are so many symbols and stuff.

Archived