Looking for a new beginner electric guitar

Guest Smit

Right cheers for the help guys. Told my mum that i want squire telecaster but will probably end up with a flute. Anyway just wondering what type of amp i should get around 100 quid? Also is there any beginner books or dvds i can look at.

Just get the Rock School Grade 1, 2 ect, they really help. I just got the Muse tab books when I first started guitar, and learnt songs like PIB, Starlight, SMBH, New Born, KoC, MM and stuff like that to start with. Also getting a book which lists chords will help.

Hope that's alright :)

• 2 months later...

*revives thread from the depths*

I'm looking to start learning guitar but I've never really played before and I'm looking for some suggestions for a guitar and amp combo will work on a tight budget (poor student, here). I'll probably be playing more along the rock/alt-rock lines than anything else.I know many people say to start on acoustic but I really prefer electric so don't try and convince me otherwise, please. :LOL: I don't really know how long this interest is going to last so I don't want something pricey in case I lose interest. I don't think I will lose interest but just in case......

Someone recommended I start with a Squier Strat and a Vox DA5. He said a meh guitar with a decent amp would be good enough for me to start on. Thoughts on this, or others possible set ups? Thanks in advance! :happy:

I think if I was beginning today i'd get a multi-pedal rather than an amp. Everyone's got at least one set of decent speakers - on their hi fi or TV or PC, or decent headphones. In fact I used to practice like that a lot. I only really started using amps when I got into bads.

There are loads of good cheap guitars around. I'd be worried about getting a dud though, so would buy in a shop where you can play it (or have a guitarist friend play it for you).

I think if I was beginning today i'd get a multi-pedal rather than an amp. Everyone's got at least one set of decent speakers - on their hi fi or TV or PC, or decent headphones. In fact I used to practice like that a lot. I only really started using amps when I got into bads.

i'm thinking of doing this. seems like a decent idea. only bedroom playing atm anyway. gives me money to spend on a new guitar then, been thinking fender mim strat or yamaha rgx-a2, both similarly priced etc

I would recommend the Gretsch Pro Jet, they are pretty well made guitars with a very nice feel to them. Once you get better you can swap the pickups on them to some better ones (make sure you change the tone cap as well) and they will serve you until you decide to go for a top of the range guitar. I've had one for about 4 years.

hahaha! probably right there tom.

Although.... whenever i go to get new gear, i try out all the other options i can. Like if i was buying an OD, i'd go into the shop and try out all the other od's i can afford, and then go with what i think is best. Thats what i did for my big muff. I tried out things like the Mastotron, the Distortron, one or two of the Rats and a DeviEver one. I went with the muff cos i thought it was the most versatile and appropriate to what kind of stuff i like to play.

in fairness, some reviews on websites/magazines aren't always reliable. I like the likes of the youtube vids by proguitarshop, gearmanndude etc. they're good for giving you a good idea on what gear is like imo.

Thanks for the suggestions! :happy:

I ended up getting a Pacifica and my friend sold me his amp...er I think it's a Roland. :chuckle: Now all I have to do is learn how to play. :erm:

good choice on the Pacifica, shall be a good axe. how are you planning on learning btw? lessons? tabs? etc.

good choice on the Pacifica, shall be a good axe. how are you planning on learning btw? lessons? tabs? etc.

Well I know how to read tabs. And I know how to read sheet music. But I have no idea how to read sheets for guitar. First, I want to take lessons though so I can get some basic technique. And then after I've got the basics, I'll just do my own thing. :yesey:

Lol, it's funny how people recommend their own gear as though it's objective.

I bought it as my first electric for the reasons I listed duh, there's no reason why I shouldn't recommend it based on that AND the fact that I know how they feel and play :rolleyes:

they are pretty well made guitars with a very nice feel to them.

This is the only thing you said approaching anything objective. It's fair enough to say that they're well made, and they feel nice. My comment was based upon the fact that you gave a pricey recommendation for a beginner guitar, and you gave it because you own that guitar. Most people would agree that it's more sensible to buy a cheaper guitar to begin with. There are plenty around which are equally well made and "feel" just as nice to lots of players. You also mention that you would recommend upgrading your recommended guitar. Why not just get one that sounds great stock?

It's not that I think you're a dick for posting, it's just that your recommendation comes from what you found best for you, rather than what you think would be good for the OP.

good plan. any guitarist friends? the more people you are around the more opportunity you have to learn. basically like free teachers. :)

I have a couple. 2 live kinda far away and 1 is on tour around Canada. :erm:

But I'll probably try and get them to give me lessons anyway cause I'm a poor student. :LOL:

What's a good amp for a beginner (to electric, I already have my chords down on my acoustic, know how to read tabs, etc. ) playing a Pacifica 112 v? Not going to be gigging anytime in the near future, so nothing big or ridiculous loud. I read the earlier suggestions in the thread but tbh, the Micro Cube seems small to me. Maybe I'm just a n00b? :LOL: Also, I definitely want some nasty distortion. Should I get a Big Muff or just get an amp first and play with it for a while?

And I don't actually have my Pacifica yet, I'm getting it in a month or so. If anyone thinks anything else would be better, I'm open to suggestions. I'll basically be playing Musey rocky goodness. Maybe some other stuff thrown in when the mood strikes. Are humbuckers essential to that "Muse" sound?

Archived