Map Of The Problematique tab

Jez451

Why should i post a false thing?

However...you can believe me or not, it doesn't care

(ah..in the article rich said that matt asked him to use synths, but rich prefered guitar)

that is true. the guitar part is done with the guitar signal split between 3 amps, 1 dry, 1 with a whammy an octave up, and one an octave down. the amps are then sequenced between. i'd imagine the synths where used to double up the sound to make it all a bit smoother or something but i'm guessing that part.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

an easy way to get the right effect is with a computer program called Guitar Rig 3. using that, you can copy the effect using 2 pitch pedals and 2 analog sequencers. hard to explain with words, but if you type in "map of the problematique effect" on youtube you're bound to find something.

an easy way to get the right effect is with a computer program called Guitar Rig 3. using that, you can copy the effect using 2 pitch pedals and 2 analog sequencers. hard to explain with words, but if you type in "map of the problematique effect" on youtube you're bound to find something.

Or get a real whammy, but then you can't do it in real time :(

• 4 months later...

haha i just got my effect so have no idea wtf they all mean..i got multi effect so they could cover most things...and at one point i found great effects that counded just like motp but i forgot them...i think one part of it had the word flange in it..i can't remember..but when i figure out what it was i'll post it..it probably wont be the same way matt plays it but if it dsounds the same who gives a shit?

I figured out a version of MOTP that doesn't use effects... a; I can't afford any right now, and b; I'm not investing in sequencers and synths just to play one song.

This would really require a video to illustrate the rhythms involved... might do it when I eventually get a decent guitar. But anyway.

Tune the sixth string down to C. Yes, C. For the intro, hold a C power chord:

e --x--

B --x--

G --5--

D --5--

A --3--

C --x--

Like that. Strike that once, and then strike the third and fifth strings as appropriate, because when you form that chord these make an octave. So listen to each of those notes, then try to hit those according to the intro. It really needs a video to explain it clearly, but I'll attempt to write a tab.

e -------------------------------------

B ------------------------------------

G --5---5---5----5--5---5----5---

D --5----------------------------5--- etc. etc.

A --3-----------3--------3------3--

C ------------------------------------

Hopefully that makes sense. Probably not. But you're striking the chord, then using the two octave notes above and below to "play along" with the octave sequencing in the real intro.

Then, it kind of goes down as Chris' high-pitched, picked bass comes in. Use the low C string for this, playing single notes on it. The notes go C, D#/Eb, G#/Ab, then F. In terms of frets, that's open, third fret, eighth fret, then back to the fifth. The rhythm is something I can't put in tab, so load up the video of MotP at Wembley and try to play along with the rhythm.

Then, it's just power chords on the fifth string. Don't bother about the individual note picking, that's done now. Just go C, D#/Eb, G#/Ab, then F - in frets terms:

e ----------------------------

B ----------------------------

G --5----8----13----10---

D --5----8----13----10---

A --3----6----11-----8----

C ---------------------------

Just load up the vid, and strum with the rhythm. Again, something I can't put up in tab. Then, for the verse, you can keep doing that, or remove the fifth from the middle and just play octaves... I prefer the latter for a different sound, but it's not really important. All up to you.

The whole song is based off these chords... for most of it, that's what you're doing. Just playing these chords, in this rhythm, for a lot of the song. However, there is a part later in the song before the end where it "goes down" and calms down a bit. I like to use barre chords here. These chords use the same roots as the power chords of course... so you want Cm, D#/Eb, G#Ab, and finally Fm. By the way, since we tuned the sixth down to C, the root note won't work with the lower chords, so leave the sixth string out for now.

So again, in tab - Cm, D#/Eb, G#Ab, and Fm.

e ----3----8----4----1-----

B ---4----8----4----1-----

G ---5----8----5----1-----

D ---5----8----6----3-----

A ---3----6----6----3-----

C ---x----x----x----x------

Something like that. That may be wrong, because writing tab has to be my least favourite thing on earth. But yeah, just standard minor/major barre chords.

Then, play a C through the outro, then blaze into the Maggie's Farm riff, courtesy of the low C string :D

Archived