Tour Merchandise question

Wewtness

hmm. sounds interesting. :). i'm fully prepated to spen like... 100 bucks on merch here. xD. at least. haha.

what exactly does this dog tag look like though?

I didn't think it looked any different from any other dog tag from a distance of about 15 feet.

RI is correct, from a distance it doesn't look awfully special, there's no special coloring / enameling, there's no black inking, like in the band's black-on-white traditional logo; and on top of that it is a dull metallic grey. pretty unexciting.

.... BUT ... the band logo is 'roughly' die cast into the metal. what I mean is, it's got a couple rough edges and nicks, like someone who's been fighting (a Resistance reference, ya think??).

it's not a piece of delicate jewely for sure, like the kind of smooth kitschy dog tags you might get at the mall kiosk or a souvenir shop - it's a bit heavier. and when I say 'die cast', you would have to take a massive hammer or large vehicle running over the thing for the design to get smushed? and even then you could probably still make it out pretty well.

that's why I'm prolly getting it as a doodad to hang from a keychain, bag, or the car rear view mirror the next time I come across a merch table :LOL: (the plastic keychain was too cheap looking for me @ $7 no less!)

Question! Are the booths cash only or do they take credit/debit cards? I would think they take cards, but this whole gig thing is new to me, and I want to be sure.

And the booths are open for awhile after it's over right? I'm going to want all sort of shiny Muse things and not want to lug it around in the pit. And wow that book looks more awesome than I thought.

yes the tables are open afterwards but just a word:

1) lines. they will be long. how soon will your driver or friends need/want to leave after the show? no need for people to get pissed off :)

2) smokes. you typically CANNOT get back in the venue once you step outside, most especially after the show is ended. even if you're hawt. ;) but hey we all know that sometimes it helps! :rolleyes:

3) quantity. if you really, really want a particular item, you might have to suck it up, carry a reusable shopping bag (b/c its the green thing to do PLUS they're usually sturdier and bigger than the cheap-o plastic ones) and buy it right away. there's NO GUARANTEE there is enough quantity to have what you want by the end of the night, especially as the excitement over the tour builds.

4) CC versus CASH. CASH is king, and cash means you won't be herded to slow-as-molasses CC or DEBIT-only lines. either way, you always have to be careful of pickpockets, no matter where you go. if bringing cash, it helps to be prepared with a few smaller bills, because not all the merch ends with a "0" or "5". if bringing cards make sure at least one is a VISA or MasterCard. Discover is getting accepted more and more, but the V and MC are nearly sure bets. and for godsakes, know your PIN beforehand if you're borrowing a 'rent's card! :LOL: I would hate to see a fellow fan foiled by four piddly numbers.

oh, and just to break it down a bit:

if you avoid snacks and drinks, the 100 bucks would probably get you:

a hoodie ($75) and a program ($25) ... or 4 programs

2 or 3 tee shirts, depending on what you pick (ranging from $45 to 32, I think)

oooh, and at one merch table I think there was beanie hats maybe for $15? (sold out by the time I got there) and muse 'hotpants' / panties (not sold out) like we've seen in the MU shop. there's also the Messenger bag from the MU shop, but I am not fond of the canvas fabric, personally. too scratchy / rough for me.

there was also SSPU merch, has that been mentioned?

1) lines. they will be long. how soon will your driver or friends need/want to leave after the show? no need for people to get pissed off :)

2) smokes. you typically CANNOT get back in the venue once you step outside, most especially after the show is ended. even if you're hawt. ;) but hey we all know that sometimes it helps! :rolleyes:

3) quantity. if you really, really want a particular item, you might have to suck it up, carry a reusable shopping bag (b/c its the green thing to do PLUS they're usually sturdier and bigger than the cheap-o plastic ones) and buy it right away. there's NO GUARANTEE there is enough quantity to have what you want by the end of the night, especially as the excitement over the tour builds.

4) CC versus CASH. CASH is king, and cash means you won't be herded to slow-as-molasses CC or DEBIT-only lines. either way, you always have to be careful of pickpockets, no matter where you go. if bringing cash, it helps to be prepared with a few smaller bills, because not all the merch ends with a "0" or "5". if bringing cards make sure at least one is a VISA or MasterCard. Discover is getting accepted more and more, but the V and MC are nearly sure bets. and for godsakes, know your PIN beforehand if you're borrowing a 'rent's card! :LOL: I would hate to see a fellow fan foiled by four piddly numbers.

very helpful. kudos. :).

i'm battling with myself about this... i'm really adamant about getting barrier for the concert. or as close as i can possibly get to it. i am also thinking about merch though. and where i would rather go get my merch before the concert - that would be a hassle to have it with me in the pit. if it was seated, i wouldn't mind and i would definitely get the merch first. in that case, your seat is guaranteed and you can just set the merch in your seat/under your seat and keep an occasional eye on it.

i was also thinking about going in, grabbing our places by the stage, and having my friend hold the spot while i went to go get merch and then vise versa? but i don't know how well that would work... ahh. i'm troubled. :(. i need a good pit place. but getting tons of good merch is way important to me too. (the main thing i'd be worried about would be like.. them having shirt sizes and such since i'd be getting an oh-so-typical medium. lol.)

i was also thinking about going in, grabbing our places by the stage, and having my friend hold the spot while i went to go get merch and then vise versa? but i don't know how well that would work... ahh. i'm troubled. :(. i need a good pit place. but getting tons of good merch is way important to me too. (the main thing i'd be worried about would be like.. them having shirt sizes and such since i'd be getting an oh-so-typical medium. lol.)

I've done this before with friends. Just let everyone around you know what you're doing before you leave for the merch stand, so when you come back, they won't think you're trying to sneak into the front! As for having the merch with you during the show, if it's gonna be more than you can handle carrying, try asking security if you can place it in front of the barrier so it's out of the way. Sometimes they'll let you place it there. Remember to bring it with you after the show, though!

I've done this before with friends. Just let everyone around you know what you're doing so they don't think you're trying to sneak into the front!

did it work out well then? cause if so i figure we might attempt that. cause.. that'd be a huge damper if i lost out on merch because we had to wait til after. my friend wouldn't be that picky about what she got but i am planning on getting... a lot. and quite a few specific things .

oh, another random question. the muse hoodie with the muse logo with the resistance artwork within the 'MUSE' - it's $75 (or at least it was at the U2 shows in US). But, is there anything on the back of those?

Question! Are the booths cash only or do they take credit/debit cards? I would think they take cards, but this whole gig thing is new to me, and I want to be sure.

And the booths are open for awhile after it's over right? I'm going to want all sort of shiny Muse things and not want to lug it around in the pit. And wow that book looks more awesome than I thought.

cash cash cash...and a credit/debit card just in case...but always adviseable and quicker with cash...

the O2 arena has some nice study bags for merch...i got the bigger merch on the first night of the london shows cos i had nose bleed seats...but yes make sure you can carry it...and dont bring a backpack...it will most likely not be allowed on the arena floor!

i always buy it before shows cos i know that they will run out of sizes by the end of the night...i remember i went to the BDO side show in 2007 and they had run out of the muse messenger bags...but i got it at the BDO proper when the merch stand was huge :)

did it work out well then? cause if so i figure we might attempt that. cause.. that'd be a huge damper if i lost out on merch because we had to wait til after. my friend wouldn't be that picky about what she got but i am planning on getting... a lot. and quite a few specific things .

oh, another random question. the muse hoodie with the muse logo with the resistance artwork within the 'MUSE' - it's $75 (or at least it was at the U2 shows in US). But, is there anything on the back of those?

i got the muse hoodie (the black one) in london and its got the muse logo on the front with the resistance cover in the muse logo...and then on the back its got the full resistance artwork and the dates radiating around it...its awesome and i love it...kept me nice and warm :)

...but yes make sure you can carry it...and dont bring a backpack...it will most likely not be allowed on the arena floor!

actually you gave me an idea ... you know those thin, 'cinch style' backpacks ... they're usually given for free with athletic shoes or "gift with purchase" .... at sporting stores they might be only $5 or so .... that type of bag could be compressed enough in your pocket and then when you pick up your merch, you can take this bag out and be mainly hands free during the actual gig ...

the main problem is still the crushing and bending of posters and program books, but if you're getting only shirts or other merch I think it actually would be fine.

RI is correct, from a distance it doesn't look awfully special, there's no special coloring / enameling, there's no black inking, like in the band's black-on-white traditional logo; and on top of that it is a dull metallic grey. pretty unexciting.

.... BUT ... the band logo is 'roughly' die cast into the metal. what I mean is, it's got a couple rough edges and nicks, like someone who's been fighting (a Resistance reference, ya think??).

it's not a piece of delicate jewely for sure, like the kind of smooth kitschy dog tags you might get at the mall kiosk or a souvenir shop - it's a bit heavier. and when I say 'die cast', you would have to take a massive hammer or large vehicle running over the thing for the design to get smushed? and even then you could probably still make it out pretty well.

that's why I'm prolly getting it as a doodad to hang from a keychain, bag, or the car rear view mirror the next time I come across a merch table :LOL: (the plastic keychain was too cheap looking for me @ $7 no less!)

oh blast! now I'm wondering if my sheep need company on the rear view mirror - especially as Muse are West Country lads :LOL:

actually you gave me an idea ... you know those thin, 'cinch style' backpacks ... they're usually given for free with athletic shoes or "gift with purchase" .... at sporting stores they might be only $5 or so .... that type of bag could be compressed enough in your pocket and then when you pick up your merch, you can take this bag out and be mainly hands free during the actual gig ...

the main problem is still the crushing and bending of posters and program books, but if you're getting only shirts or other merch I think it actually would be fine.

I took a shoulder bag for another band that I can fold up small - but I was in the seats.

i got the muse hoodie (the black one) in london and its got the muse logo on the front with the resistance cover in the muse logo...and then on the back its got the full resistance artwork and the dates radiating around it...its awesome and i love it...kept me nice and warm :)

thank you for this!!! i was contemplating it if all it had on it was the front part. but with the dates and such on the back i think that seals the deal. :). do you have a pic of the back?

So... they don't sell out of tour programs by the end of the show do they? Cause I was just gonna buy my shirt before the show and buy a program after so it doesn't get crushed.

Not usually, no. You'll just have to queue for ages at a merch stand, but they usually have plenty of stuff in stock. Plus, I'm pretty sure they sell the programme in the Muse online shop, so if all else fails, just get it from there. But obvs it'll cost you more if you live in the States :rolleyes:.

Not usually, no. You'll just have to queue for ages at a merch stand, but they usually have plenty of stuff in stock. Plus, I'm pretty sure they sell the programme in the Muse online shop, so if all else fails, just get it from there. But obvs it'll cost you more if you live in the States :rolleyes:.

Yeah, shipping costs an extra $12, $13 last time I checked. :stunned:

So, I don't mind waiting. :p

Thanks for that breakdown! I think I might need to stop by before to get clothing and after for the book and whatever else they may have that I'll want. Don't want to be worried about trying to hold on to things during the show. :)

I have a question. The last show i went to, I was in GA, but I knew someone who was in seats so I just gave them money and they bought me my stuff. As of now, though...how does it work, if youre in line. Is there any way to get to merchandise BEFORE the pit is opened? I'm not worried about holding onto the place during the show, just where I'll be when they open the doors to let the floor in...

i know the backpacks you mean...i brought one of those when i was travelling...soooo handy!!! and they roll up real small too...good thinking!!!

thank you for this!!! i was contemplating it if all it had on it was the front part. but with the dates and such on the back i think that seals the deal. :). do you have a pic of the back?

indeed i do...front and back:

P2040075.jpg

its the one on the bottom right...same design as the shirt top left...

P2040076.jpg

again...back bottom right...it looks alot better than the australasian tour one cos there are more dates...

So... they don't sell out of tour programs by the end of the show do they? Cause I was just gonna buy my shirt before the show and buy a program after so it doesn't get crushed.

Not usually, no. You'll just have to queue for ages at a merch stand, but they usually have plenty of stuff in stock.

I think for programs they will have plenty. but as for ALL shirt / hoodie sizes or potentially posters, I would want to get it before the show -- maybe there's more info on other show threads by now, but for ATL the posters and some sizes of shirts with-concert-dates were definitely gone from all the stands. I think "L", "XL" shirts they would still have after the show, but sizes that are "XS", "S" or then the "XXL" end of the spectrum, they would have a fewer number of those.

im doing everything first no way am i going to the merch stand after :LOL:

you'll get your best pick that way and the lines should be shorter. good luck!

I have a question. The last show i went to, I was in GA, but I knew someone who was in seats so I just gave them money and they bought me my stuff. As of now, though...how does it work, if youre in line. Is there any way to get to merchandise BEFORE the pit is opened? I'm not worried about holding onto the place during the show, just where I'll be when they open the doors to let the floor in...

I wish it were the case, but I have never heard of that before. if there is a venue that does that, that would be highly unusual. most places are pretty strict about their in-out/entrance policy. letting people in to shop before the doors actually open? yeah, never heard of it -- sorry.

you can try the GA/Pit what to expect thread: http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=69344 if you haven't been in GA/pit before. lots of good advice. but my suggestion is: make sure to coordinate with your friends, make nice with the people around you, and maybe, just maybe, they will hold your spot for you while you shop at the merch table pre-show. leaving your spot "un[in]tended" is the best way to lose it ;) (pun alert!)

I've done this before with friends. Just let everyone around you know what you're doing before you leave for the merch stand, so when you come back, they won't think you're trying to sneak into the front!

great advice, just gave another version of it myself :D I should take my own advice and use the Search function ....

great to see you here, liberty!! so excited for you for the upcoming gigs! :LOL:

i'm pretty sure if you go in the main entrence before you get on ga line if you go inside they have booths set up to sell merch even before your near the arena. thats how it was the last time i saw them at msg.

Are you saying that they are selling this poster at shows in the US? It has show info for a show in Singapore.

no, not for sale at the US shows...just wondered if because they have had show specific posters before, if maybe someone knew of one being made for the chicago show

there were only 181 of the singapore prints made so the show allotment probably sold out...i do know where you can pick up the singapore print now though

I think for programs they will have plenty. but as for ALL shirt / hoodie sizes or potentially posters, I would want to get it before the show -- maybe there's more info on other show threads by now, but for ATL the posters and some sizes of shirts with-concert-dates were definitely gone from all the stands. I think "L", "XL" shirts they would still have after the show, but sizes that are "XS", "S" or then the "XXL" end of the spectrum, they would have a fewer number of those.

you'll get your best pick that way and the lines should be shorter. good luck!

yeah the XS and S tend to sell out before shows...so i would get them before the show if you're that size...plus i didnt mind carrying around the shirts...though i brought the hoodie after the show as an impulse...and it was a M and they still had it...

i'm pretty sure if you go in the main entrence before you get on ga line if you go inside they have booths set up to sell merch even before your near the arena. thats how it was the last time i saw them at msg.

yeah they had that in the O2 London...they had booths open in the outer area outside the actual arena...so i got my merch then :)

Archived