so who is gonna start the petition to muse about selling the tix themselves or through another outlet?

They can't really sell the tickets themselves because even though they are preforming they don't own the tickets.

They could ask ticketmaster to do a "paperless" ticket sale for their upcoming concerts. This keeps the seats in the hands of the fans because all you have to do is swipe your credit card to get in. There are no physical tickets to resell. Once they are bought, thats it, the admission is your credit card.

They can't really sell the tickets themselves because even though they are preforming they don't own the tickets.

They could ask ticketmaster to do a "paperless" ticket sale for their upcoming concerts. This keeps the seats in the hands of the fans because all you have to do is swipe your credit card to get in. There are no physical tickets to resell. Once they are bought, thats it, the admission is your credit card.

It's pretty paradoxical that ticketmaster sells paperless tickets when THEY are the ones in fact who are selling the tickets to scalpers :noey:

On their own site they say of the paperless tickets:

"To ensure fans get fair access to seats at face value-the only way to get into the event is with the credit card used to purchase the tickets."

YEAH? MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T SELL THE FUCKIN' TICKETS TO FUCKIN' SCALPERS YOU FUCKS.

It's pretty paradoxical that ticketmaster sells paperless tickets when THEY are the ones in fact who are selling the tickets to scalpers :noey:

They are doing paperless tickets for Miley Cyrus concerts. It probably costs the artist a lot of money if they ask ticketmaster to do this. That's probably why they don't do this for every show they sell tickets for. By encouraging the artist to NOT choose paperless tickets with expensive fees, it keeps these other companies/scalpers happy. And I'm sure ticketmaster has to keep these companies happy because they are knee deep in contracts and obligations with them.

Vicious conglomerates at their best. Happens with every major industry. Greedy shits are in control and will do anything to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Well, actually they could, it would just be less cost effective for them as they'd have to set up their own ticketing scheme and do everything ticket master does (contract with venues) theirself.

Paperless tickets are a good idea, but have fundamental flaws. What if you can't go to the show? You don't exactly have a ticket to resell to another fan (by resell I mean face value). And as much as we want to say we'll be at a show no matter what, you know stuff does come up, illness, schedule conflicts, or for those of us who travel--sometimes we just can't get a decent flight. Paperless tickets are a step in the right direction, but far from an ideal solution that fits the consumer base.

I'm writing a letter. We should start an online petition though.

Here's mine, I'll probably throw in something about paperless tickets to appease Adrienne :LOL:

Hello Muse Management,

Recently there have been Muse presales tickets on ticketmaster.com for 6 tour dates in the US. It has come to my attention (and many others) that ticketmaster has sold the good tickets (ie GA, Lodge, floor section) to partner companies who then sell the tickets for 300% profit. It's absurd and keeps the true fans from buying tickets to see their favorite band play live. I tried both presales for Madison Square Garden on March 5th, all to no avail when the only sections I was given were in 200s. No band, I repeat, no band sells out presale tickets in 2 minutes. Even if it were the beetles reunion concert, tickets wouldn't sell that fast. There are many others who share my animosity towards ticketmaster. Today, I was left to buy a ticket in section 329, only 3 minutes after the opening of the normal sale. I know nothing can be done now that tickets have been sold, but I'm asking that you look into this; maybe to prevent dealing with such corrupt monopolies again. Others suggest that Muse should sell their own tickets on their own site. It would work out the best for all of us. I doubt even 4/5ths of the stadium will be filled that night because over half the tickets have gone to the type of people who sell 3 GA tickets for $800 (don't believe me? Look on eBay for yourself). Now, if you have read all this I thank you, it means Muse truly listens to their fans. I'm sure this message is full of grammar and spelling errors but I typed it on an iPod touch at 4 am. Oh well, thank you and reply if you'd like me to back any of the heinous crimes I accuse ticketmaster of committing.

I was considering writing a letter too. Nothing nasty or abusive, not even aimed at the band themsleves, just polite and to the point. An online petition sounds good though :)

Oh yeah, ditto. I wouldn't want to place blame on the band or their management. Its not their fault the world has crooked assholes out there. I just want to urge them to consider other alternatives to ticketmaster. Even if they do paperless tickets (which I don't really like) through ticketmaster, that would be a start, but I think ultimately they should find another ticket distributer. Ticketmaster has too much power in this country. They're basically a monopoly.

Well, actually they could, it would just be less cost effective for them as they'd have to set up their own ticketing scheme and do everything ticket master does (contract with venues) theirself.

Paperless tickets are a good idea, but have fundamental flaws. What if you can't go to the show? You don't exactly have a ticket to resell to another fan (by resell I mean face value). And as much as we want to say we'll be at a show no matter what, you know stuff does come up, illness, schedule conflicts, or for those of us who travel--sometimes we just can't get a decent flight. Paperless tickets are a step in the right direction, but far from an ideal solution that fits the consumer base.

I understand what you're saying. Some sort of refund policy would have to be included to make it fair in the event of not being able to attend. But in the sale of tickets, I think this method is the most fair.

You should tell them to do paperless tickets. :D Its really the only way this issue will be resolved. Muse can't sell their own tickets.

Nah, I disagree with that. I think we can find a better solution if we all put our heads together about it. Paperless tickets are a bitch if you need to resell your ticket. Look at how mnay people bought tickets in say section 400, then later snagged tickets in section 200 or whatever. Of course they will want to resell their 400 tickets, but with a paperless ticket system reselling becomes burdensome. The person who bought the tickets would still have to be at the venue to "pick up" tickets and give them to the person who wants them. Nearly half the shows I've been to I've had to travel for, and there were maybe three our four I bought a ticket to and couldn't go to. I resold the ticket on craigslist for face value. There's no way I could do that with a paperless system. That's why I am against it, but I do agree it is one (but many) solutions to the issue. I just don't think its the best.

Nah, I disagree with that. I think we can find a better solution if we all put our heads together about it. Paperless tickets are a bitch if you need to resell your ticket. Look at how mnay people bought tickets in say section 400, then later snagged tickets in section 200 or whatever. Of course they will want to resell their 400 tickets, but with a paperless ticket system reselling becomes burdensome. The person who bought the tickets would still have to be at the venue to "pick up" tickets and give them to the person who wants them. Nearly half the shows I've been to I've had to travel for, and there were maybe three our four I bought a ticket to and couldn't go to. I resold the ticket on craigslist for face value. There's no way I could do that with a paperless system. That's why I am against it, but I do agree it is one (but many) solutions to the issue. I just don't think its the best.

I agree, I mean, the best solution would be for ticketmaster to only sell to fans and not companies like stubhub etc... Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen. I don't know how we'd get them to change that system because for these companies the only thing that's important is $$$.

It'd be great if we could organize a huge boycott of ticketmaster but I don't even know how we would facilitate something like that! :eek:

I agree, I mean, the best solution would be for ticketmaster to only sell to fans and not companies like stubhub etc... Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen. I don't know how we'd get them to change that system because for these companies the only thing that's important is $$$.

It'd be great if we could organize a huge boycott of ticketmaster but I don't even know how we would facilitate something like that! :eek:

Pearl Jam did it back in the day when I was but a wee babe (like 12 or something). I think Pearl Jam sells their own tickets even. Not sure, I'd have to look into it.

Maybe we should just start our own ticketing agency for US Muse fans and use the system you recommend but with a refund policy. ;)

So maybe someone should start a ticketing agency with a paperless tickets and a refund policy. Not really sure what the policy would be. I kind of think if you want a refund you should get one, no questions asked. And if its paperless, then there's no worry about cost of reprinting tickets, etc.

I agree. For whatever reason someone should be allowed a refund. The tickets will go back on the market and sell to someone else anyways!

Pearl Jam did it back in the day when I was but a wee babe (like 12 or something). I think Pearl Jam sells their own tickets even. Not sure, I'd have to look into it.

Maybe we should just start our own ticketing agency for US Muse fans and use the system you recommend but with a refund policy. ;)

Bwahahahaha...When I make my first million I'll message you and let you know I've got the investment money! :LOL:

I think it's great that you're writing a letter (and other fans are too). I'm going to as well. It might not do anything, but it's worth it to at least let them know. :cool:

I think Muse really care about their fan base, and if they realize that the scalping thing with ticketmaster is really affecting them, I think they would want to do something more. They are a band that is very much in touch with their fans/fanbase, so I could totally see them trying to problem solve the issue, or at the very least hire someone to problem solve it for them. ;) But if no one tells them how much of a problem the issue is, they may not understand the full impact and thus keep doing what they're doing. So yeah, writing letters is a good thing IMO. :) Respectful, intelligent, and polite. :)

We should totally do an online petition too though. :) Not everyone likes to write letters, so the petition would cover that side of things as well. :)

Archived