Well I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and share my experience! (Sorry it's lengthy)

So this was my first headlining Muse concert. I have seen them opening for My Chemical Romance at William & Mary back in 2007, and then again for U2 at Fairfax Field. For the concert at W&M, I was so close to the guys (a few rows back GA) and I never thought I would have the chance to be so close again. :( But I knew that once they headlined near my area again, I would go all out trying to secure front row barrier.

It was a major struggle, my friend and I got to the Patriot Center at 9:30 am, and there were only 3 other people queuing at that point. We were in front of the second line going into GA. And man oh man it was freezing. It was really brutal. But surprisingly (and thankfully) the time flew by.

Security had me so anxious right before opening the doors though. I was so worried that I had just spent an entire day freezing and my dream of getting barrier would be crushed. :noey: But THANK GOODNESS my security guard (who i see judging by others posts was really slow letting people in) checked my pockets before the doors opened so I could just go right on in. It was so hard not to run, but I got front row center. Chyeah! :awesome:

The barrier security guards were intimidating at first, but I soon made friends with them and they were quite entertaining. I kept screaming in the ear of one them (by accident! I was too excited right before muse came on!) and he kept making faces at me. It was quite hilarious.

Anywho, on to the show. Silversun Pickups were so much better than I thought they were going to be judging from the posts from the Atlanta concert. But Muse. Man oh man, when the lights dimmed, my heart started racing and I thought I was going to pass out. And Matthew Bellamy with those lighted glasses and shining lazers on everyone... completely lost it. :ohmy: I spent the rest of the night screaming the words to all of their songs. :dance: Muse (esepcially Matt) has such a stage presence that demands you to become completely and utterly consumed with their musical genius. I swear I could write a freaking sonnet just gushing about how great these guys are live.

It was the best concert experience. No was was pushing me, I wasn't getting crush, the people around me were getting into the music as much as I was. For the last song, KOC, everyone was jumping in unison and the electricity in the building was intoxicating.

It was over much too fast. Though my body was exhausted, my mind wanted more and more and more. :dance:

This was truly an amazing experience and I seriously doubt that any concert with EVER EVER top this one... unless I go to another Muse concert (which I am already planning for in the future).

SHOUT OUTS!

Shout out to the lovely ladies behind me in line (i'm sorry i didn't get your names, but i'm pretty sure you all post on the forum!) and to the lady who gave my friend and me donuts! I really hope that you got good spots, I could barely secure my own and my friend's. But if you didn't I hope your Philly concert goes better. I can't wait to see all of your pictures!

Also, shout out to the guy standing to my left at the barrier. You were singing all the lyrics, head bobbing, fist pumping, and jumping right along with me. I apologize for my excessive screaming. :$

And finally to the security guard who's ear drums I probably burst. Thanks soooo much for handing me one of the balloons after the show (I got the one with the whole eye :D )

Oh hi! I think I was the one next to your friend at the barrier. Next to the guy that was drunk and going crazy like me :LOL:

I got a balloon too! :awesome:

And yeah the security guards were hilarious

AWESOME photos guys!!! Can I ask what cameras you guys have? We need to replace the one we took to the concert, and your photos are amazing.

On the smallest venue...Hubby and I were just looking at the Patriot Center seating chart and it looks like they did a modified half stage set up. Half Stage with some partial seating in 118 and the section across the arena from it. There wasn't any seating behind the stage. So I don't even know that they were at the 10,000 capacity. I love that we were the smallest venue on the tour.

I'm a music photographer back in OZ, the best point & shoot camera period is the Panasonic Lumix TZ7, 12 mega pixel, awesome zoom & awesome video with stereo recording, the retail for $600 aussie so that would be about $540 USD

Uprising - fairfax

My pics from Fairfax

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerry_70/sets/72157623538613250/

I'll post the other videos during the day

Gerry :)

AWESOME photos guys!!! Can I ask what cameras you guys have? We need to replace the one we took to the concert, and your photos are amazing.

On the smallest venue...Hubby and I were just looking at the Patriot Center seating chart and it looks like they did a modified half stage set up. Half Stage with some partial seating in 118 and the section across the arena from it. There wasn't any seating behind the stage. So I don't even know that they were at the 10,000 capacity. I love that we were the smallest venue on the tour.

Oh, my camera was an old piece of crap that I borrowed. But when you're that close, they still come out pretty good. XP

I'm a music photographer back in OZ, the best point & shoot camera period is the Panasonic Lumix TZ7, 12 mega pixel, awesome zoom & awesome video with stereo recording, the retail for $600 aussie so that would be about $540 USD

Uprising - fairfax

My pics from Fairfax

Wish they'd let me bring my Canon EOS. Might try and sneak it in today. XP

Thanks for the Lumix suggestion - Gerry. That's one of our front-runners, as my Dad has one that he seems to love. Glad to know it's that good...your photos are freakin' awesome!

I do art photography, so I would have loved to bring my Canon 20D, but I was pretty sure there was not way to sneak that big honkin' thing in. :p:LOL:

Uprising - fairfax

My pics from Fairfax

Good ol' Lumix, the official Muser camera. :) I have the ZS1... (That's the TZ3 in the UK/AUS)

Hey Beth, my screen name is MDMuselover ;) I guess I need to come on here more huh?

But I had so much fun last night. Would have tweeted more but my fingers were numb from being frozen outside and the battery life in my phone sucks. DreamOutLoud and I got there at about 10:30 and much like Elight we were so surprised that more people weren't there. We ended up number 3 and 4 in our line and there were about 5 or 6 people in another line. It was soooooo cold but time went fast since we were surrounded by wonderful people including Elight, her sister Wendy and Glorious Resistance. Plus some of us entertained ourselves by looking at twitpics Muse took as they played tourist in DC.

But after the hours of waiting DreamOutLoud and I were two of the four behind Elight who it took FOREVER for us to be let in because we got the world's worst/slowest security guard ever. But we got lucky and our friend Julie decided to wait in another line and managed to get in before us and snag us a spot in the front row on Chris' side. The stage was AMAZING and I loved how they moved up and down on the cubes because it allowed shorties like me to be able to see better. Had a great view of Matt but only saw Dom here and there mainly when he was elevated on the cube. It was also very cool because we got recorded quite a bit by the camera guy. I joked with Amy that having the camera on me for so long during "Feeling Good" had me thinking "for the love of God don't forget the words Liza"

While I would have loved to hear Bliss, Sunburn or numerous others I was happy with the setlist mainly because I was just happy to be there & on the barricade also. Yes I too like MK Ultra better then GL but I like GL and think it sounded good live. But as always hearing my favorite Muse songs "Hysteria," "Map of The Problematique" and "Undisclosed Desires" was absolutely amazing. My heart skipped a beat during Overture, love Matt's voice live on that song. It just showed even more how talented they are. Thank God there was no crowd surfing like the last time I saw them at Patriot Center but there was moshing during a few songs esp. KOC.

But being that close to Muse was unreal and I must admit I tried very hard not to ogle Chris all night since he was directly in my eye line :) I loved how they stayed on stage playing while they waited for the last of the balloons to pop. People started yelling "pop it" so everyone would stop hitting them. DreamOutLoud was right next to the guy who caught the harmonica so unfortunately close but no cigar. But the show was amazing and it was cool to have local DC101 DJ Roche come out and inform us that we were seeing them at the "smallest venue on the North America tour." I'm totally pumped about the Baltimore show tomorrow where I hope to get there early again even despite a snow/rain mix. For Muse I will suffer through crap weather!

hey it's wendy....i'm a boardie now so it seems!! :)

:eek: I have that camera and paid 280€ for it, which is about 380 USD. :erm: It was new too, didn't buy it second hand.

gerry,

what settings should I use on my canon sx20is, 12.1 mp and 20x zoom. Should I just use auto more or another mode, like manual but what settings? I really would like to get this right and need the advice.

I find that it can be different from night to night, I like to control most things rather than the camera, so very rarely do I use Auto. However if I'm having an off night, I will then start to play around

I took photos of Bon Jovi in Anaheim the night before (yes I've been travelling from one side of the US to the other LOL) & I wasn't too happy with them. I use manual settings & I muck around with the ISO, for Muse (as there was strong lighting) I used ISO setting at 400, normally when I shoot professionally I'd bump it up to 1600. If your pics are too pixelated(grainy) this will normally require you to drop the ISO down to say 800 or lower. 1600 can potentially give you better shots, but the risk of grainy shots increases. As you'd know most cameras have a digital zoom (bonus), I just stick to the normal zoom rather than using the maginifaction.

The best light to shoot in is blue, or white...reds are the pain of photography. I should add that don't be afraid to try & take some pics without the flash, particularly if they had got good light on them. If you find they're too blury then go back to the flash.

Shutter speed I set at either a min of 1/60 or 1/125 once again you sometimes need to experiment.

The other thing I like to do is take the pics from a different angle i.e from above your head where you can just see the screen of the camera, so you'll see that I managed to get quite a few of Matt just with the down light on him. I try to anticipate their movement, for example I like to take alot of pics when Matt sings a chorus, as that will normally be when he's at his emotional point(best expression), same with Dom when he hits the cymbals. I guess what I'm saying is if you know the song & how it's going to play out you can pick your moments to shoot.

I shot ADC with my Lumix 2 days before flying to LA last week & i got some really good pics, ha I know this is a muse forum but you guys might like to see them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerry_70/sets/72157623507316034/

This shot is prob my shot of the year so far, a lead singer of a support band at ACDC jumped off the drum kit :)

Calling All Cars 2010

I'm on facebook so if any you want to add me just mention "muse boards"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=729998764

I find that it can be different from night to night, I like to control most things rather than the camera, so very rarely do I use Auto. However if I'm having an off night, I will then start to play around

I took photos of Bon Jovi in Anaheim the night before (yes I've been travelling from one side of the US to the other LOL) & I wasn't too happy with them. I use manual settings & I muck around with the ISO, for Muse (as there was strong lighting) I used ISO setting at 400, normally when I shoot professionally I'd bump it up to 1600. If your pics are too pixelated(grainy) this will normally require you to drop the ISO down to say 800 or lower. 1600 can potentially give you better shots, but the risk of grainy shots increases. As you'd know most cameras have a digital zoom (bonus), I just stick to the normal zoom rather than using the maginifaction.

The best light to shoot in is blue, or white...reds are the pain of photography

Shutter speed I set at either a min of 1/60 or 1/125 once again you sometimes need to experiment.

The other thing I like to do is take the pics from a different angle i.e from above your head where you can just see the screen of the camera, so you'll see that I managed to get quite a few of Matt just with the down light on him. I try to anticipate their movement, for example I like to take alot of pics when Matt sings a chorus, as that will normally be when he's at his emotional point(best expression), same with Dom when he hits the cymbals. I guess what I'm saying is if you know the song & how it's going to play out you can pick your moments to shoot.

I shot ADC with my Lumix 2 days before flying to LA last week & i got some really good pics, ha I know this is a muse forum but you guys might like to see them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerry_70/sets/72157623507316034/

This shot is prob my shot of the year so far, a lead singer of a support band at ACDC jumped off the drum kit :)

Calling All Cars 2010

I'm on facebook so if any you want to add me just mention "muse boards"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=729998764

Thanks for the excellent tips!!

I have the Lumix ZS3 (or TZ3 elsewhere), I think it's a step or two down from gerry's . Mine was about $280 or so, I think (I got it as a gift so I'm not sure) It has a 12x zoom, HD vid and I think it's 10MP.

I <3 it. :D

I was too lazy to play with settings, so all my pics were taken using the intelligent auto with the forced flash off and that seemed to work nicely :) I had a hard time getting pics of Matt and Chris when they had the white spotlight on them, their faces were washed out, but the blue and red ones came out nicely.

Archived