your favourite guitarists

abomufc108

Got to be honest, I don't get why everyone's always so down on John Mayer. Sure he's a douchebag, and he plays relic'd guitars, but none of that changes the fact that he's a fucking amazing guitar player and a really great musician...

You forgot the fact he plays a dumblol.

To be honest, I've never really heard much of his playing - I'm mainly "down" on him because he's a douchebag like you say.

Because it's the cool thing to do and they have no legit reason, kind of like booing Lebron James when your not even a cav's fan. Herd mentality. It's just like people that work in guitar stores saying that the guy on the radio sucks... Well your in a guitar store and this person is making it.

John mayer has a big ego, but who wouldn't being who he is. So what he said a slut is good at sex, get over yourself if you take offense.

Because it's the cool thing to do and they have no legit reason, kind of like booing Lebron James when your not even a cav's fan. Herd mentality. It's just like people that work in guitar stores saying that the guy on the radio sucks... Well your in a guitar store and this person is making it.

John mayer has a big ego, but who wouldn't being who he is. So what he said a slut is good at sex, get over yourself if you take offense.

So is him being a douchebag not a legit reason?

I suppose that doesn't really have to do with his music though. I'd like to hear manfromcydonia's reason though.

I dont see everyones problem with John Mayer either. I love blues, and regardless of what kind of a person he is, the guy can play. Nice tone, nice licks (familiar though they are), and he has a pretty cool voice too. And his version of Route 66 is just :awesome:

And while Im at it, I also dont see the problem with relic guitars :$

If you think he's a douche bag that's a fine reason to not like him, but have a reason other than.. O he's just a douche but I have no idea why.

Not like John mayer gives a shit what we think anyways hah

O an who names themselves synyster gates..... what a faggot! :D

If you think he's a douche bag that's a fine reason to not like him, but have a reason other than.. O he's just a douche but I have no idea why.

Not like John mayer gives a shit what we think anyways hah

O an who names themselves synyster gates..... what a faggot! :D

I thought he cared.

There are plenty of things I don't like about many guitar players. Whether it's the way they play, or that they're a douchebag.

You forgot the fact he plays a dumblol.

To be honest, I've never really heard much of his playing - I'm mainly "down" on him because he's a douchebag like you say.

I think he's an excellent guitarist, he comes across as an idiot with no social skills, and i think that he needs to add more versatility to his playing... not just the same old drivel. i think hes really talented, but he doesn't use it to his full potential. i guess i would like him a lot more if i liked his sort of music. I'm not into the easy listening sort of thing. Also, hie's not a personable guy, and he doesn't do much to get to know his fans, or give something back to his fans. He lives for the money and fame, and he doesn't realise that without Jimbo & friends he wouldn't be where he is today. I have to say though, i havent listened or watched him a lot, I'm speaking as a person who hasn't got to know his music or his fan base, just thats what comes across to me.

jeff-beck.jpg

I'd never listened to Jeff Beck before, and I love him now... so much so that I don't use a pick much any more and I'm going to trade my MIM Tele for a Classic Vibe Strat (and then Classic Vibe Tele aswell when I get another few quid on top :ninja:) and set up the trem like his.

Claudio Sanchez, Travis Stever (Coheed And Cambria)

coheed-and-cambria1.jpg

I've got to be honest, I'd never have started playing guitar if it hadn't been for these guys. The first time I heard a live recording of The Final Cut, I was just blown away. I'd never heard guitars used like that before, as the main feature of the music, and not just as part of the song. It completely changed the way I listened to music, and I've not looked back since.

Matthew Bellamy (Muse)

MATT-BELLAMY-MUSE.jpg

I've absolutely no idea what he's doing in that picture, haha! But again, this guy deserves a lot of credit for getting me into really playing guitar. There's something about how he plays, rather than what he plays, that really made me realise there was a lot more life to the instrument than I'd really seen before, and I guess that showmanship made me realise how much fun there was to be had in playing it.

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (The Mars Volta)

3001543590_8bfd5ff2ce.jpg

Not only an incredible guitarist, but he seems to have a completely different way of playing to anyone else I've seen, which I guess you'd expect from someone who started playing the instrument even though he absolutely hated it. Seemingly random and chaotic at times, but you know he's picked out every single note, and he feels each one, however unusual it may be.

Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree)

swilson.jpg

The man's a genius, plain and simple. I love how he can combine these soaring acoustic passages, quiet ambient sounds, sweeping solos and heavy riffing into a single song, and make it work.

Alex Lifeson (Rush)

Alex+Lifeson.png

I don't think I even need to say anything about this guy. Just a superb all round guitarist. Anyone who has listened to some of Rush's best work will know exactly what I'm talking about.

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

gilmoursmilefeat.jpg

If anyone has nailed my dream tone more than this guy, then I haven't heard it. Just awesome.

Thomas Erak (The Fall Of Troy)

The+Fall+of+Troy+Thomas+Erak.jpg

Insanely good, especially when you realise how young he was for the earlier albums. I don't really know how to explain his playing to people who haven't already heard it. But he can make one guitar sounds like about three with his shifting all over the fretboard. Great speed and technique all over, with unexpected tempo changes the order of the day. And he manages to do all of the vocals at the same time.

Dave McPherson (InMe)

Dave+McPherson+inme.png

InMe, remember them? They're still going and the guitar work is phenomenal at times. He manages to combine beautiful acoustic songs with heavy riffing and technical solos, and strikes the perfect balance every time.

Kaki King

kaki-king-2.JPG

Anyone who as not heard her music or seen her play needs to. It's as simple as that. Dave Grohl said "There are some guitar players that are good, and there are some guitar players that are really fucking good. And then there's Kaki King." Enough said. She's amazing. I'd love to be able to play like that, but I highly doubt I'll ever be able to.

Steve Vai

Vai.jpg

I've got to admit that I've only heard a small fraction of the music that this guy has put out over the years, but what I have heard merits his place in this list. I could probably listen to For The Love Of God forever and not get tired of it. Not many people can play what is effectively a 6 or 7 minute lead guitar solo, and manage to put feeling into it throughout. Somehow he pulls it off and the results speak for themselves. My custom body shape is based off his design too, so he's probably done enough to be in this list, ha!

Jonsi (Sigur Ros)

4227597251_5d155b7ee7.jpg

Certainly has a very unorthodox but simple way of playing, but I really feel it somehow, and it works perfectly with the music. Hard to describe unless you know what I'm talking about.

Efrim Menuck, Mike Moya, David Bryant, Roger Tellier-Craig (Godspeed You! Black Emperor)

godspeedyoublackemperor.jpg

Impossible to find a picture of them all together, but 3 out of 4 will do. I don't need to say anything else really. Mind-blowing in every sense of the word.

Bryant Clifford Meyer, Andy Arahood, Greg Burns, Josh Graham, Emma Ruth Rundle (Red Sparowes)

5077971129_1bbdfb6336_z.jpg

Again, 4 out of 5 will have to do here, although one of them is playing bass in the picture. And again, it's more of a collective effort, but I love the music that comes out at the end.

Pictures and reasons in spoilers. I could probably go on for a lot longer with another handful or so, but that's probably more than enough as it is! :LOL:

Archived