How would you rate Origin of Symmetry?  

588 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Origin of Symmetry?

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars

Good things about the album

I like its heavier sound compared to the other albums, and how the bass carries the songs.

Bad things about the album

Wait... Bad things?

Best track

Bliss or Hyper Music

Worst track

Is it too boring and predictable to say Feeling Good?

Favourite moment

The ending of CE and the very last seconds of Megalomania

• 1 month later...

Origin Of Symmetry is my 2nd favorite MUSE album,just behind Absolution.

NEW BORN:The best things about NB is the piano and guitar.The worst thing about it is the random sounds from 5:52 - 6:04.It's cool at first,but after a while it gets annoying. :erm:

BLISS:The best thing of Bliss is the arpeggios.Worst thing? Ummmmm.... none.Bliss is my favorite track from OOS. :D

SPACE DEMENTIA:The best thing from SD is its AMAZING piano.The worst thing from it is after you hear the song completely it gives you the chills. :stunned:

HYPER MUSIC:The best thing of HM is the bassline.The worst thing is that it's a bit short. :rolleyes:

PLUG IN BABY:The best thing of PIB is the GUITAR! :\mm/: The worst thing might be..... uuuuuuuummmmmm... none.

CITIZEN ERAZED:The best thing from CE is the full song: the guitar,the bass,the drums,the piano,the synth,everything. Worst thing is nothing.CE is my 2nd favorite track from OOS. ;)

MICRO CUTS:The best thing from MC is the falsetto.The worst thing is the shortness of the track. :(

FEELING GOOD:The best thing of FG is the coolness of it.The worst thing of it is how it sneaked its way into OOS. :ninja:

SCREENAGER:The best thing of Screenager is its Eastern-like sound.The worst thing of it is how many people don't like it. :$

DARK SHINES:The best thing of DS is its jazz-like sound.The worst thing of it is its underratedness. :mad:

MEGALOMANIA:The best thing of Megalomania is the organ. :pope: The worst thing of it is its power to scare you. :ohmy:

So the verdict is in.I rate Origin Of Symmetry with 4/5 STARS! :yesey:

Good things about the album:

The album just flows together really nicely. Every track is a rock masterpiece.

Bad things about the album:

Hmmm. I guess the worst thing for me would be the Megaphone section of Feeling Good, where I can barely understand what Matt is saying :LOL: Still a brilliant track though.

Best track:

New Born

Worst track:

Feeling Good (No matter how good it is, it's not quite as good as the rest of the album.

Favourite moment:

The faux-piano intro to New Born, giving the impression we're in for a nice twinkly album, before segueing into the screaming guitar!! LOVE IT :D

Result: 5*

i cant understand how nearly everybody dislikes screenager, its such an awesome song, and i think its the song with the best guitar play ;) just amazing :)

(and i think it fits with the rest of oos, its just softer but has got the same dark sound)

*puts hand up* I love Screenager.

Okay, maybe I'm just biased as a Muser, but I've never heard an album so immensely creative and deep. Origin Of Symmetry portrays Muse as they are even today - Meaningful, diverse, creative and a bit chaotic :) There's not a single track i didn't love from first listen. The lyrics, the riffs, the depth, I love it all :D

Something I don't understand is the negativity people have towards Screenager - "Who you were was so beautiful. Remember who, who you were" I defy anyone who says those lyrics are not beautiful. And the guitar... there are no words. :)

• 3 months later...

5 stars

Good Things:I love the heavyness, the raw sound - probably Muse's best produced album I would say; can listen to the whole album without skipping any tracks

Bad Things Like most, I think Screenager and Feeling Good disrupt the flow, however they aren't bad songs

Fav song: Between Micro Cuts, New Born, Space Dementia and Megalomania for me, but all for different reasons

Worst song: screenager

Favourite moments: The heavy guitar in micro cuts chorus; Megalomania choruses;

the crazy sound at the begining of the Dark Shines choruses; New Born distortion ; the way SD has kick ass heavy verses and that beautifully creepy chorus

OOS is probably my favourite because of its great guitar sounds and use of piano.

4 stars

Good Things

The songs are great and Matts falsetto are far better here then on any other album. The bass lines are big, fuzzy and sexy giving each song that signature Muse sound.

Bad Things

I felt a lot of the parts weren't recorded very well, mainly the drums. Matts guitar tone isn't great throughout9e.g Th Micro Cuts ending) and even the moments of fantastic tone can't over rule the general disappointment.

Fav Song

Although Megalomania and Micro Cuts nearly made it to the top. I have to say that Citizen Erased is the gem in this albums 10 year old crown. The fantastic riff, the great solo and the perfectly emotional Piano ending make it one of Muses greatest moments

Worst Song

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon here and saying feeling good (I actually love it) I have to say the most disappointing song on the album is Micro Cuts. While I love it mostly (if you saw my plays amount of it you'd know) but the ending is just painful to lilsten to, the tinny guitar tone just ruins it for me

Favourite Moments

The Chorus of Micro Cuts hits you like a wall of bricks, it comes out of nowhere and the sound is HUGE

While it is my favourite overall album I feel it could have been recorded better. And if Dead Star was on it, it would have unquestionable bought it up to 5 stars

4 stars

I've only recently started liking it as an album; before then I'd always thought of it as a collection of great songs that was somehow less than the sum of its parts.

Positives

Definitely the strangest, craziest thing Muse have done to date, with interesting song structures (something a lot of their other stuff is lacking), awesome riffs and excellent falsetto vocals from Matt. The synths are hardly prominent, but they add a lot to the album. Every song is of a high standard here: no tracks that are noticeably weaker than the others. The first half is very cohesive in terms of tone and mood, but (and I know I'll get flamed for this) Screenager and Feeling Good are wonderful, "lighter" songs that prevent the album from going overboard on angst.

Negatives

The production is quite bland, and weakens the album a bit. The rhythm section is decent but there isn't really any astounding drum or bass. There are some good lyrics but nothing particularly resonant. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it, also. When I'm feeling angsty it sounds great, but otherwise there's not much appeal in listening to the whole thing.

Good Things: For me OoS is the greatest album of all time the first 7 tracks a awesome and roll into each other brilliantly and Megalomania is an epic song to finish with. The album cover is also pretty awesome.

Bad Things: Only bad thing for me is how Feeling Good and Screenager just feel like they are crammed in there, not that there bad songs but they aren't my favourite.

Best Song: Always changes for me, at the moment it's Bliss but at other times it has been Micro Cuts, Megalomania, Plug in Baby and Space Dementia. It's hard to pick an overall favourite because there is way to much epicness to choose from.

Worst Song: I've never really gotten into Screenager

Favourite Moments: The piano intro in New Born, the Outro of Space Dementia, The random sounds at the start of Hyper Music, The Micro Cuts Chorus and Riff are amazing, The moment the church organ starts playing in Megalomania

:awesome:

I'll give it 4.57 stars. Because I like to be difficult.

Good things: One of the only two Muse albums that actually fits together well. Also, there's no obvious weak song like on all the others. The album artwork is awesome too. And I love how all (or most) of the songs manage to be weird, but not too weird.

Bad things: After listening to it a ton of times, some songs (New Born, Megalomania, for example) get old. The second part of the album does need to be re-ordered or something.

Best song: It changes a lot. Right now, it's definitely Micro Cuts, but previously, it has been Citizen Erased, and before that it was New Born.

Worst song: I feel bad putting a worst song on here, because the worst song on here is a zillion times better than, say, NSC. But the weakest song would have to be Hyper Music, even though it's fun to listen to.

Favorite moments: Transition after the piano intro in New Born, the outro of Citizen Erased, the fucking riff at the end of Micro Cuts, and the falsetto harmony in Megalomania.

It deserves a 12, but since you can't go past five, that's what I'll rate it.

Good Thing: It's heavy with a soft side. It's an album anyone can like IMO. Most of the songs are above average. Just a great album.

Bad Thing: It ends.

Best Song: Citizen Erased.

Worst Song: Megalomania (going based on listens, not how good or bad it actually is).

Favorite Moments: The end of CE into Micro Cuts. The middle of CE before the second riff. A lot of great moments on the album.

• 1 month later...

Never done a review before :stunned: here we go...

My favourite album I've ever heard, it even puts Abbey Road in second place for me. Feeling Good is fine on the album, it's a fantastic cover, people just don't like it anymore because of it's over-abuse live.

Good things:

- The flow. Granted, it gets a teensy bit jumbled up near the end but New Born to Micro Cuts sounds like it could just be one long song which I love.

- The production is fantastic, best production I've heard on a Muse album. Stand-out songs for this would be Micro Cuts, New Born and Citizen Erased.

- The heaviness. It just doesn't hold back and is surprising at first if you heard it after Showbiz. Popping on the CD and jumping when you hear the thick, sludgey New Born riff for the first time is a breath-taking moment.

Bad things:

- Space Dementia hops around too much with the volume, some bits are too loud, some too quiet, some just right which can be irritating.

- Feeling Good coming before Megalomania. Just doesn't work, Dark Shines would've been better in that spot.

- The Fuzz Factory noise at the beginning of Plug In Baby. Decent transition from Hyper Music but it's just painful to hear.

Favourite moments:

- The Space Dementia outro / Hyper Music's beginning

- "Dark shines...BRIIIINGING ME DOWN"

- The final organ blast at the end of Megalomania

Wow, I don't think I have ever written a review here. Better late than never, I guess...

4.5/5

Good things:

- It's pretty much the heaviest album Muse has made, and I like heaviness :p

- Pretty good flow, at least when compared to the other albums

- Every song is just great, there isn't really any fillers

- Matt's crazy falsetto vocals

Bad things:

- While the production seems to have captured that rawness and heaviness to the songs, it just feels lacking sometimes

- Lyrics aren't really that great most of the time (Though I still love most of them :LOL:)

- Never really liked the transition from FG to Megalomania

- There isn't any great drum or bass work on the album

Best song: I'd say Citizen Erased right now, but it changes often.

Worst song: Feeling Good (though it's still an amazing cover)

Favourite moments:

- The moment when the New Born riff kicks in

- The ending of Space Dementia

- The chorus of Micro Cuts

- The huge organ blast at the end of Megalomania

- The megaphone part in Feeling Good :cool:

Never done a review before :stunned: here we go...

My favourite album I've ever heard, it even puts Abbey Road in second place for me. Feeling Good is fine on the album, it's a fantastic cover, people just don't like it anymore because of it's over-abuse live.

Good things:

- The flow. Granted, it gets a teensy bit jumbled up near the end but New Born to Micro Cuts sounds like it could just be one long song which I love.

- The production is fantastic, best production I've heard on a Muse album. Stand-out songs for this would be Micro Cuts, New Born and Citizen Erased.

- The heaviness. It just doesn't hold back and is surprising at first if you heard it after Showbiz. Popping on the CD and jumping when you hear the thick, sludgey New Born riff for the first time is a breath-taking moment.

Bad things:

- Space Dementia hops around too much with the volume, some bits are too loud, some too quiet, some just right which can be irritating.

- Feeling Good coming before Megalomania. Just doesn't work, Dark Shines would've been better in that spot.

- The Fuzz Factory noise at the beginning of Plug In Baby. Decent transition from Hyper Music but it's just painful to hear.

Favourite moments:

- The Space Dementia outro / Hyper Music's beginning

- "Dark shines...BRIIIINGING ME DOWN"

- The final organ blast at the end of Megalomania

What the hell? New Born isn't followed by Micro Cuts and same goes for FG and Megalomania.

EDIT: I just found out that my track order had been wrong all the time and FG is indeed followed by Megalomania (had DS on that spot before). But I still don't get New Born to Micro Cuts thing.

What the hell? New Born isn't followed by Micro Cuts and same goes for FG and Megalomania.

EDIT: I just found out that my track order had been wrong all the time and FG is indeed followed by Megalomania (had DS on that spot before). But I still don't get New Born to Micro Cuts thing.

I think he means all the songs from New Born to Micro Cuts.

• 8 months later...

New born: 5/5 - Very powerful opening song (like all of muses' haha). I love the piano/guitar transition and although the lyrics are quite unusual I tend to like it a lot more because of that. One of matt's better riffs.

Bliss: 5/5 - One of the most catchy guitar/synth songs in their whole catalogue that is actually even better live with the added guitar solo ending.

Space Dementia: 5/5 - It took me about 10 listens to this song for me to really form an opinion on it when I first heard it 2 or 3 years ago. Really cool sound and groove to this song that quite creepy but eerily awesome at the same time.

Hyper Music: 5/5 - I didn't listen to this song much when I first got the album but thats mainly because as the listener is an easy song to overlook given the other obvious gems not the album. Looking back this is simply one of muse's better hard rocking songs. LOVE the guitar in this.

Plug In Baby: 5/5 - Spectacular song all around. Just wish it was longer haha.

Citizen Erased: 5/5 - Simple put 'Citizen Erased' is not only muse's best song but its also one of the best songs of the last 25 years of music.

Micro Cuts: 5/5 - One has to appreciate the true guts it took to record this song given the falsetto. If ever anyone asks me why Muse is so awesome I simply ask them "can your favorite lead singer do this???" and then I play this song, and after the look on their face I say "I didn't think so, SUCK IT NON-MUSER!!"

Screenager: 4/5 - Cool song that is just the most boring on the album haha. They had to have some kind of break in the action right??

Dark Shines: 5/5 - LOVE the guitar and lyrics in this song. Wish they played this more live.

Feeling Good: 5/5 - One of the best covers ever. Fits perfectly for matt's voice. I will say that it is played live a little too liberally.

Megalomania: 5/5 - Muse's most epic closer outside of only KOC probably. Pure bliss.

Overall: 5/5

Pound for Pound I put this squarely along side Absolution as Muse's other masterpiece. If I had to pick one I'd probably side with Absolution but by a HAIR. Origin of Symmetry does have Matt's best guitar work though, thats for sure in my mind.

Archived