How would you rate Origin of Symmetry?  

588 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Origin of Symmetry?

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars

Sorry to bump an old post bit this my favourite album so I had to post this.

Well I'm going to post something similar to what I did on the "Absolution" album thread in which I describe the album track by track so I can get a feel of the flow of it.

The album opens of course with the simple piano of "New Born" and straight away you can tell this album will please. It's so lovely and likable and melodic all at once. The lyrics start and it's a nice catchy song, raw and strangely edgy - then... I cannot put into the words the feeling I had when I first heard THAT riff! Distorted and bass heavy at first and then the guitar comes in - amazing! Then the second verse starts and it is even more edgy with the heavy bass and drums leading into the awesome chorus.... And just when you don't think this song can possibly get any better, you're blown away by that abso-fucking-lutely killer solo! Now IMO this is the best guitar solo of any Muse song. The harmonics, the melody, the absolutely awesome hammer-ons. If i could play guitar i would practice this solo until i had it perfectly - the guitar version of the RBS piano solo. Nothing comes close. It continues to be awesome all the way until the end and after six immense fucking minutes, the perfect song finishes gently the same way it started and melds beautifully into:

"Bliss" which starts with that lovely piano arpeggio until the synth kicks in leading into the riff that just makes you want to bounce around - a riff made for mosh pits. Now I know I've said that Muse don't have many songs with good lyrics but of their early stuff, I think Bliss has the best lyrics. Then of course there is that massive chorus with yet more arpeggios and synth in the background. My favourite part of the song though is the breakdown in the middle of the song with the slow drums building up gradually while the synth goes in the background and you can actually hear it through the start of the final chorus. Like New Born, it finishes with the same piano intro it started with and gradually it fades out into:

"Space Dementia" which once again has a simple yet beautiful piano intro. After the opening few bars though, the piano continues as the most wonderful chord starts to open the verse and then the wildly passionate vocals start. What I really love here is the quick triple flurry Dom hits on the drums just before the piano solo pre-chorus. Then of course we have the synth kicking in as the falsetto chorus comes in before the two alternating chords repeating which lead us into the second verse. After the second chorus, the song calms down a bit as we have the "ooh-oohs" from Matt before it stops for a second to lead into the (forgive me I have no musical knowledge so I don't know the technical term for this) flurry on piano before the heavy, loud outro and the last thirty or so seconds of feedback. My favourite piano song, marvellous from start to finish and yet another six minutes of pure magic. The feedback is a perfect introduction for:

"Hyper Music" which (again no idea what the technical term is) begins with that scratchy, static or feedback from the guitar strings before leading into that brilliant riff. (it seems every song on this album either has a great riff or great chords) The bass in the verses is something I really love about this song but what is awesome is when the chorus starts - the passion and intensity with which Matt screams "I don't want you... And I never did!" is just immense. If anything the only drawback the song has is it may be too short because after the second verse, the brief outro and that's it - it's already over. Yet another feedbacky outro is the perfect lead in to:

"Plug In Baby" which many may love for it's brilliant catchy chorus or that killer riff. Personally I think this has some of the most incredible falsetto in any Muse song particularly in the second chorus - also i love Chris' back up "oohs" in the first chorus. So after the riff finishes we have the deceptively quiet verse - upon hearing this you wouldn't think this to be a very rocky sort of song - before all hell breaks loose in the radio friendly chorus. I love how this song is so mainstream and yet so Musey at the same time. I doubt many other songs could lay that claim! Anyway, after the final chord fades away, yet more static and feedback - the song ends and we all know it is time for:

"Citizen Erased" which is widely considered the best Muse song and for good reason. From start to finish this seven minute epic is absolutely brilliant - the overrated calls are not justified in my opinion as this song deserves to be loved and deserves to win any competition or any poll for best Muse song. Oh dear, I came so much I forgot to describe the actual song. Okay, let's see. First there is the opening harmonics are everything we love about Muse and then that bassy riff starts and oh dear Lord! What more can we say? The verse again is slightly quiet and also resembles the rhythm of Hyper Music but then the chorus is screamed out and we hear that wonderful falsetto we love so much before the song breaks down a bit for that mini guitar solo between the first chorus and second verse. Then as we break into the second chorus and we realise there is just as much emotion in it when it is sung quietly and gently, not to mention an octave lower. But then the harmonics/riff and bass kick back in again and we have that epic guitar solo and one more screaming version of the chorus. The song could end now and you'd be content - it's been five minutes of pure brilliance - but this is where I think CE earns most of it's points. It doesn't end. The guitar continues with the same melody as the verse before that part at around 5:19 where the guitar slows right now and even better the chord played at exactly 5:40 when it feels like the song resolves itself and for the last minute and a half it becomes a ballad but it is so beautiful it just makes it even more epic, the piano outro and the falsetto and that noise in the background which helps enhance:

"Micro Cuts" by joining it to CE. the first time I heard this song I was like "OMG" but at the same time I was strangely addicted to it! This is probably one of the darkest most brooding Muse songs out there. So we have that kick arse bass and guitar and a great riff before Matt starts to sing not just a line, or a verse but THE WHOLE SONG in falsetto. If anyone can understand one word he sings without having to look at the booklet - I tip my hat to you. I have read them all and even I don't know them sometimes. Oh shit - forgot about the triple harmonics before the chorus. Anyway this chorus is fantastic - not just the ridiculous falsetto but also the background orchestral synth. Then we have that breakdown before what is widely regarded to contain the highest note Matt sings in any song - it is equal highest with the second last note in the vocal solo of "Showbiz". And the last few intense bars with that terrific outro riff ends one heck of a song. Butwaitaminute!Oh shit, the album isn't finished yet. That's right, time for the next song:

"Screenager", one of the most Muse fan dividing songs out there - I don't care what anyone says - I love this song. Both the guitar and piano versions are brilliant. Love that soft jungle beat drumming in the background and the chorus once again contains some gorgeous falsetto. Ooh, also love those little synthy arpeggios throughout and that little (again technical term not known) scaly guitar part where it ends - the chorus that is. Practically drifts into:

"Dark shines" a terrific baseline and a groovy, almost bluesy sort of rhythm going throughout. I love the wah-wah effect on the guitar in the pre-chorus, not to mention those Ben Folds Five esque piano chords immediately before the chorus. Now the solo is pretty good but what I really love is the second half where the solo guitar has that echoey effect before the keyboards and synth kick back in before the final chorus with yet more "ooh-oohs" before the end. An abrupt ending with the guitar feedback just cutting off before:

"Feeling Good". Say what you will about this song - fact remains it is still a terrific version of this song - IMO the best version. Muse really took it on as their own. Of course we all love the megaphone in the third verse but I just love the sexy jazzy piano in the background before we turn it back into organ fir the final verse - oh and then after "Freedom is mine!" listen to Don go on the drums. I reckon when I say that the song I was first impressed by Dom's drumming was this one people think "what, why?" I guess the thing was that most other songs the good drumming bits just don't stick out (how many have I specifically pointed out so far? Not many!) but this part right here is in your face. I remember hearing it and thinking "shit, he is a good drummer". Again this probably seems like a big deal but basically drums are my favourite instrument necayse they are usually so dominant but of Muse the guitar and piano and bass and vocals completely overshadow them - who knows I'm probably alone in this thought. Oh well. Anyway, after the outro we hear the opening synthy chords of:

"Megalomania" which closes the album in the same epic manner it started. The slow rhythmic drumming and the delicate guitar strums with the low vocals probably turns a lot of people off but I listen transfixed every time and then- FUCKING BAM!!! where the hell did that church organ come from? Pure fucking genius. Oh and the lyrics - "take off your disguise - I know that underneath it's me" = W.I.N. Then we have the church organ playing in the back ground over the same drumming and bass and that violin or oboe or whatever string instrument it is in the second verse. I love how Matt's voice overlaps itself in the final chorus and of course the last twenty seconds of oohs (Jesus what a surprise!) I swear to God, I'm sitting on a heated train and I'm getting such incredible chills I'm fucking freezing. What a perfect closer to the album.

I give it 5 stars. Origin of Symmetry is not Muse's best album at all: its raw and rough and its by no means perfect. Muse still weren't fantastic musicans, and the work was no way near as technical and advanced asnewer albums.

however, its my favourite album, because of its sheer creativity and daring.

I don't have a favourite track, though New Born and Plug in Baby are exceptional, whilst Citizen Erased and Megalomania have a special place in my heart for their epicness and emotion. Every track is worthy, however, although towards the end of the album, the tracks are slightly weaker, such as Screenager (though I love the piano version) and Dark Shines.

Favourite moment is the beginning of the New Born riff, or the last chorus and last organ chords of Megalomania. The whole album just screams with musical and lyrical freak daring inventive innovation. Wow, weird words.

5 stars, despite being far from perfect, Origin Of Symmetry is in my opinion Muse's best album and one of the best albums of the 00's. Deserves more recognitions. Like it ws said before, the flaws give it humanity.

New Born - Brilliantly simple piano intro, classic riff, what more can be said? Incredibly catchy and a good combination of heavy and melodic. It really shows how much Muse have evolved if you listen to it directly after Showbiz.

Bliss - Am I the only one who thinks that this sounds weirdly mainstream, but in a genuine way rather than the forcedness of Starlight, GL, UD, etc? It confuses me when people put it in the same category as CE when bitching about songs the need to be played live more often these days. Overall it's pretty straightfoward and doesn't veer from it's structure, but with the glassy arpeggios and otherworldy vocals it has no need to.

Space Dementia - The intro and buildup are amazing but sadly borrowed. While the chorus is wonderfully serene and disturbing at the same time, it feels slightly out of place with the rest of the song. However, the verses, synths and space crashy ending are perfectly representative of the darkly powerful early Muse.

Hyper Music - The furious distorted scratching noise starts off the heavy section of the album nicely. Vocals and rythm are incredibly energetic, you can tell they had fun recording this one. My favorite part would be the strangely flowing bassline, which has a different mood from the song which I can't quite describe. It's short and sweet but doesn't really need to be longer.

Plug In Baby - The signature song of Muse. The main riff is one of the rare things I would say is truly worthy of being called epic. Lyrics are beautifully wierd as hell, "My plug in baby crucifies my enemies" just made me laugh out loud when I first heard it. And of course there's "NNMNMMMMMMWOOOOOOOARRGGHHAAAAAAA!" at the end :D . It's just got this absolutely lovely "wtf" quality to it the whole way through.

Citizen Erased - I'm going to be burned alive for this, but I don't particularly like the intro. It's too jagged and noisy for my liking, when this song I feel is best at its more melodic moments. I love how the synth chords of the chorus are played before matt starts singing it, and particularly I love the contrast between the loud and deranged "FOOOR ONNE MOOOOOMEeeeeeENT!" and the much fainter "For one moment..." later on. Just goes to show the pure emotion and variety present. Overall it's like muse made their own dark bohemian rhapsody.

Micro Cuts - One would think Matt would have calmed down a bit after Citizen Erased. ..lol. Tbh i never liked this song very much until I read the misheard lyrics, which I felt made it hilarious and at the same time helped me to take it more seriously. Yeah, wierd.. Like I said before, it's great because it's just completely "WTF was that".

Feeling Good - Some would say this is out of place here in the album. I would say it's very refreshing in the sense of a light at the end of a long and twisted tunnel. I have nothing against Muse showing their softer side, and I fail to see why this gets put in the same boat as GL and NSC which are much less bearable. Feeling Good is lighthearted and uplifting, and muse's cover is one of the best, much more energy than the original.

Screenager - One of muse's most underrated sings imo. I agree that the chorus is weak, but the rest, the bone percussion and spanish style guitar create a soothing atmosphere with Matt's voice adding a slight sense of accusation that hangs like mist.

Dark Shines - Probably my least favorite song on this album. The lyrics and synth-guitar are uncharacteristic of Muse, but the actual guitar parts I find incredibly addictive due to the sort of surfy style present. I would probably like this song much more if a slower and quiet version of it existed, rather like Hyper Chondriac Music.

Megalomania - Another Muse song which I feel deserves more attention. The brilliant use of pipe organ has sadly not been repeated besides the very brief intro of Unnatural Selection. Great finisher, and makes the transition into Absolution flawless. If anything needs to be played live more, it's this.

5 Stars

Best Track: New Born

Worst Track: Feeling Good

Best Thing About Album: The first 7 tracks.

Worst Thing About Album: Everything goes downhill after track 7. But Darkshines is awesome.

Favorite Moment: The Entire New Born.

How could I not give it 5 stars?

Good things about the album - Everything. That strange original Muse sound, the complexity of it's simplicity, the lyrics, the creativity. EVERYTHING.

Bad things about the album - Slightly repetetive.

Best track - New Born

Worst track - Darkshines

Favourite moment - Vocals in CE.

5 stars.

Good things about the album - General awesomeness.

Bad things about the album - nothing

Best track - Bliss and CE

Worst track - I don't think any song is bad, but my least fav. is Space Dementia (Yes, I love Feeling Good... mainly because I've known Nina Simone's version for years and it is my personal soundtrack).

What can I say? OoS is my favourite album. I find it amazing in every way. The songs are interesting, and just great in general. I like every song on this album- Despite the fact that a couple of songs notoriously show up on the setlist too much :indiff:

I think the only bad thing about this album is the overly confusing lyrics. Half of them don't make good sense- Although I believe this is what makes the Origin of Symmetry the best and most interesting album. No cheesy love songs :awesome:

Best track- Well, this doesn't need saying, does it? Citizen Erased is where it's at :D

Worst track- Hmm. I'd probably have to say Dark Shines, even though I don't really think that there are any big weak points on the album. I must admit, though, Feeling Good needs a live break :shifty:

My favourite moment would probably have to be the CE chorus- It's sent shivers down my spine for as long as I've known it- And it's never changed.

1. Citizen Erased

2. New Born

3. Space Dementia

4. Plug in Baby

5. Megalomania

6. Micro Cuts

7. Hyper Music

8. Screenager

9. Bliss

10. Feeling Good

11. Dark Shines

Yes, Bliss gets 9th. Don't shoot me.

I voted a 4, but it's really 4.5/5 for me :D

Good things: It's a very "consistent" album. Great from start to finish, more "experimentation" than Showbiz, plus better lyrical quality, I think... Less "generic" sounding than their first CD.

Bad things: Like others have said, Feeling Good just kind of throws the whole thing off for me :LOL:

Best songs: Bliss, Citizen Erased, Megalomania (I could keep going, but I'll stop at 3 haha).

Worst songs: Feeling Good, Screenager

Favorite moment: When the really high falsetto kicks-in on the word "disguise" in the 2nd chorus of Megalomania :happy:

1. Space Dementia

2. Microcuts

3. Megalomania

4. Newborn

5. Bliss

6. Citizen Erased

7. Plug in Baby

8. Hyper Music

9. Screenager

10. Darkshines

11. Feeling Good

Changed my previous summary a little.

4 stars

Good things about the album

Fantastic songs, many of them being the best songs they have ever made.

Bad things about the album

I can rarely be bothered to listen through the whole album at one time, and the flow is not the best towards the end of the album. Also, people act like it's Muse's masterpiece above all their other albums. I disagree, it's an excellent album, but they many other great albums, and I think Absolution is better, personally. Hyper Music is over too quickly.

Best tracks

Space Dementia, Megalomania, New Born, Bliss, Citizen Erazed, PIB. (Yes, over half the album. :p)

Worst track

Darkshines, Feeling Good. They're not bad though.

Favourite moments

Everything about Space Dementia. The second verse of Megalomania. The opening moments of Bliss. The slow part of Citizen Erased. "Destroy the spineless..." Microcuts.

Pretty much 'the Muse album' for me. Booming bass, crazy guitar, riffs and interesting piano pieces. Dark and at times twisted lyrics. Just such an energetic album that cancels out any sort of negativity that might be conveyed by some of Matt's lyrics. Oh and Micro Cuts is genious, absolutely mental song. Only downside is that Feeling Good, while a decent cover is of b-side standard and sticks out so badly in this album.

Best to Worst: Space Dementia-New Born-Bliss-Citizen Erased-Micro Cuts-Plug In Baby-Screenager-Hyper Music-Megalomania-Darkshines-Feeling Good

5/5

Top 5. In order.

1. Space Dementia. Seriously, the first and only time I have heard a song and said "holy shit". I first stumbled across this song because someone said it sounded like Rachmaninoff's 2nd Concerto. I found it and put it on, and heard a series of quite beautifully played chords. I thought "this guy can play, he's really pushing the notes here". I expected a sweeping, virtuosic piano-driven piece. What I didn't then expect was the drum entry. Building up, and up, blasting away everything else, accompanied by a perfect vocal entry, into one massive explosion of sound. Then rolling arpeggios, a massive bassline and some truly extraordinary vocals. And that's just the first 90 seconds.

2. Citizen Erased. The beginning of this song actually threw me off a bit, how it goes from a very low distorted note to a much, much higher purer tone in quick succession. On closer inspection, though, it fits the song perfectly, as this is all about the buildups, sequences, progressions, and vocals. Wow, the vocals. Absolutely sublime and pure, amazing control. Then there are the two guitar bridges, the second of which accompanied by a mesmerising solo. And then the slow finale, more pure vocalising, and then some beautifully constructed chord harmonies. This is an amazing song, in its range and its detail.

3. Megalomania. The best lyrics on the album, and the best falsetto. The ending is immense. I envy those lucky folk at Royal Albert Hall who heard this as it was meant to be, played on a true organ at full blast.

4. Bliss. Probably the most apt title, as those rolling up-and-down synth arpeggios do create a wonderful sense of exactly that. There is a great meshing of major and minor harmonies, between the vocals, guitars and synths, and between the verses and chorus, which makes this song so brilliant. The sudden entry of the band and synths when this is played live is something to behold.

5. A tossup between New Born and Plug In Baby. Both solid, fun rock songs with memorable riffs, great vocals and plenty of effects.

Order of rest:

Micro Cuts (great song too)

Hyper Music (also a pretty good song)

Feeling Good (it's not that bad)

Screenager

Dark Shines

Superb album, although Absolution still is my favourite. The best ordered, in my opinion, although Screenager should have been done on the piano instead of the scratchy acoustic-like guitar (and I will admit, when it first came up I thought my Ipod had gone mad and starting playing Radiohead... I know better now). Dark Shines explores a musical dimension which I think just doesn't fit on the album at all (although it would've worked perfectly on BHAR).

5 Stars!

Good Points -

I love this album! Its incredible! I love all of the songs. The guitar riff in Plug in Baby is amazing. The best cover of Feeling Good! I also love the Piano in New Born and when the guitar comes in.

Bad Points -

No bad points! :D

Best Song -

Plug in Baby, New Born & Feeling Good

Worst Song -

No bad songs!

For me it has to be my favourite muse album (followed by bh&r).

I just think that it is consistent all the way through and there is not a song that I would skip from it, they are all individual in their own different ways.

1. Citizen Erased

2. Bliss

3. Hyper Music

I couldnt decide between the others :)

Oh, and i voted 5 :D

Can you rate it Dead star? :D

Good things about the album: The baseline in Hyper Music

Bad things about the album: The intro to Citizen Erased and the synth in Bliss.

Best track: New Born

Worst track: There is no worst track.

Favourite moment: The piano intro to New Born, the start. Also the baseline in Hypermusic :p

OoS is my favorite Muse album, literally every track on it is amazing! I can't describe how much I love this album. The only album that I could possibly think of that I like better is Revolver by the Beatles (Well justified too, if you ask me.)

Good things about the album: Pretty much everything, the riffs, piano, basslines, drums,etc...

Bad things about the album: Nothing too bad, maybe some of the lyrics I guess.

Best track: Plug In Baby (Favorite Muse song ever!)

Worst track: Feeling Good (Still amazing though.)

Favourite moment: PiB riff, "MYYYYY PLUG IN BAABAAAAAAAAAY!", and that amazingly high not in Micro Cuts.

5 Stars from me! :D

Good things about the album: Bliss' chorus, when New Born riff kicks in, Space Dementia start

Bad things about the album: Last 2 mins of Citizen Erased, Futurism should have been on it and replaced Feeling Good

Best track: Bliss

Worst track: Screenager/Feeling Good

Favourite moment: "Giiiiiiiiiive meeeeee the peace, and joy in your miiiiiiiind" :happy:

5 stars.

Good things about the album: The riffs, Matt's voice, simply amazing. =)

Bad things about the album: Some lyrics make no sense, Screenager breaks the flow for me.

Best track: Space Dementia!

Worst track: Screenager.

Favourite moment: Piano intro in Space Dementia, Megalomania chorus, and "For one moment... I wish you'd hold your stage." in Citizen Erased. =)

And my order from favourite to least favourite would be:

1. Space Dementia

2. Megalomania

3. Citizen Erased

4. Micro Cuts

5. Bliss

6. Plug In Baby

7. New Born

8. Hyper Music

9. Feeling Good

10. Dark Shines

11. Screenager

5/5

It's a nearly perfect album, fluid, and has great lyrics. Pretty much ace the whole way through. That's all that needs to be said. It doesn't suck at the end like Absolution, no bogged-down middle like BHaR, and no poppy beginning like TR.

Archived