When I saw Franz I only got 17 songs and they played for 90 minutes. It was an outdoor gig and pissing down rain so I really don't mind. Plus the stuff that happened before/after the gig more than made up for the shorter set. :awesome:

And to stay on the topic of Muse, this thread is making me sad.

But.......Franz only have 3 albums, 17 songs is perfectly acceptable in that instance. Muse were only playing 17-19 song sets when they toured Absolution.

Even the BHaR European tour was a little more varied than this?

And I agree with people that in 2008 Muse did seem to be pulling it together... then they rush off, create an album and think 'ah well... we'll just keep the same olds in along with our new stuff'.

I still can't get over dropping 2 Showbiz songs for Feeling Good. :(

What's more... I'm going to 5 of their European dates this year... I feel like I've wasted a hellalotta money!!! :LOL:

Anyways, before going all rage-mode, we should look on the Copenhagen gig, since it's the last Nordic gig and there's a two-day break till Hamburg. They might last out a bit different set, since they have time to rest afterwards.

With a 2 day break maybe they should check Twitter?

That's what I meant in the other thread! Maybe we should all tweet the same message? To show er... solidarity and consistence? :erm:

I'm retweeting Clunges post/Gems tweet.

I haven't read the entire thread but I feel like I should throw my opinions in here in case it does make it to a petiton :LOL:. I hate to complain about Muse as I really do love them and they are a brilliant band but I completely agree with what everyone is saying. Having been a fan since I was about 13 I've only been to one gig so far at Tinmuff so I'll most definitely enjoy the NIA gig on this tour and I'm very excited about it, but I'm feeling pretty disapointed so far. Would it really kill them just to mix it up a bit, throw in a few old songs/rarities? They're always saying they do it for the live shows and love performing so why not make the most out their brilliant back catalogue? Surely they must be aware of the fans desire for a bit of variety and value for money. It would be so easy for them to deliver a great set list that satisfies the wants of both old and new fans. I really hope they get their act together by the UK gigs.

/pointlesspost

No, it isn't a pointless post- seeing lots of contributions like this shows this isn't some sore of purist exaggeration- it really is becoming something of an issue for a large portion of the fanbase.

That's what I meant in the other thread! Maybe we should all tweet the same message? To show er... solidarity and consistence? :erm:

Loads of people seems to be retweeting me message haha, which is this...

"@muse Read this and learn: http://bit.ly/22Q451 Fans want a setlist shakeup. You're upsetting all of us. #musefail"

Hence I think we should write an open letter to Muse. If anyone wants to mash my post into something worth sending, go ahead :).

like this?

To Messrs Bellamy, Wolstenholme, Howard and Nicholls

At the time of writing, Muse have five "proper" studio albums now giving you a grand total of 57 songs to choose from. Add live favourite b-sides such as:

- Dead Star

- Fury

- The Groove

- Forced In

- Man Of Mystery

- Popcorn

- Osaka Jam/Helsinki Jam/Dracula Mountain

And the grand total becomes over sixty (64) viable songs they COULD play live. We, the fans, aren't expecting any "deep cuts". we're not expecting The likes of Sober and Hate this and I'll Love you; nor are we expecting Citizen Erased to become a regular participants of the setlist. However, the past 10 or so gigs have developed an EXTREMELY worring trend. Gone are the songs which illiustraded the band's ability, both individually, and as a whole. Butterflies and Hurricanes is yet to make an appearance, as is anything post-showbiz which wasn't a single. Taking the set from your recent (25th October 2009) gig in Oslo:

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Guiding Light

Interlude

Hysteria

United States of Eurasia

Feeling Good

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Plug In Baby

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

Exogenesis Symphony : Part 1 (Overture)

Stockholm Syndrome

Man With A Harmonica

Knights of Cydonia

Origin of Symmetry is only giving passive (and inherently predictable) reference, Absolution likewise.

In terms of length, the current trend appears to be 17 or 18 songs. the nearest comparitive setlist thength was on the absolution tour, which was around 17 to 19, occasionally breaking twenty. This is with almost HALF of the amount of material which you all -as a band- still have at your fingertips, or could have if you brought yourselves up to speed with them again. When you're charging anything up to £45 for a ticket with a not OVERLY flashy stage show, to be playing Less material for approximately twice the price, with almost double the amount of material, and yet with a stagnating setlist smacks of grabbing the money and running

Setlists surely can't be THAT difficult to manouver and manipulate around the stage show (and if they are, why did you go for that stage show, You are primarily a band, to hinder yourselves for visual reasons is, in the eyes of many of us, extremely naive). Even if thereneeds to be a high concentration of later material, Plack Holes is RIFE with songs whi candropped in anywhere, rife with brilliant openers and closers, as is The Resistance. why allow your setlist to stagnate, when you could give a different show each night? more work, yes, but the reward would outweigh it almost exponentially.

Why not standardise the length of the sets as many bands do to give each city a fair show - Radiohead are a great example. They play a seventeen song main set, a five song encore and then a three song encore. Every show gets 25 songs and thanks to the standard length, it's easy to drop songs in and out for each show. Muse could easily do something like this, maybe a 15 song main set, then a three song encore and then a two song encore. It isn't a world changing concept.

Also, the whole 'but we have to tie in with the visuals' argument, frankly, doesn't wash. Yes, fair dos if you're playing a song that has specific visuals/ideas BUT, surely there are generic visuals/lighting/camerawork that would suffice just as well for songs WITHOUT specific planned visuals? I don't get why visuals require the setlist not to change order either? Surely if each song has its own scheme, they can be played in basically any order they like?

They're such simple, basic things that Muse could do to spice up their live shows which are already showing signs of stagnation after just 15 or so shows on this tour. The fact that the current idea of bringing back an older song or some such is a tired cover version of Feeling Good is frankly laughable. Everyone would love to think you're not pandering to a bland, generalised audience butthe current perception is that you ARE - every show follows the same predictable pattern and contains the same predictable songs. No proper show on the BH&R was without Starlight or Time Is Running Out, and 99% of shows featured Plug In Baby, Feeling Good and Supermassive Black Hole. The fact that this has continued on The Resistance tour seems to underline who they'd your priorities lie with these days.

Finally, We mostly feel that this gradual slide into become a safer, more "sterile" band is an absolute disgrace to your roots. Aren't you the same band who, when asked to mime on top of the pops, totally and utterly abused that and raised a massive finger to the mainstream industry? Would you still do that today, with this much success and without the steadying influence of age? every single factor seems to point to the fact that you would walk on to that stage, and mime just like your Cheryl Coles and Britney Spears's. You're at a crossroads guys, we're ppatient folk, but you're running the risk of alienating a lot of you core fans, who've been there since showbiz - I suppose the simple fact of the matter is to you care about us enough to change our minds?

If you've never seen Muse before, then it was probably amazing.

If you've seen them before you probably enjoyed it, then thought how it could have been and once the euphoria dies down realise it could have been so much better.

Yeah, I agree with that. I just think we should wait a few more gigs before people start grabbing pitchforks.

But.......Franz only have 3 albums, 17 songs is perfectly acceptable in that instance. Muse were only playing 17-19 song sets when they toured Absolution.

They're also older than Muse :chuckle:

Nah seriously, it's ok to play fewer songs when you have less albums but I guess people are expecting a few extra from Muse considering they've got five albums and a bside/live album.

I fucking hate Feeling Good.

like this?

At the time of writing, Muse have five "proper" studio albums now giving you a grand total of 57 songs to choose from. Add live favourite b-sides such as:

- Dead Star

- Fury

- The Groove

- Forced In

- Man Of Mystery

- Popcorn

And the grand total becomes over sixty (64) viable songs they COULD play live. We, the fans, aren't expecting any "deep cuts". we're not expecting The likes of Sober and Hate this and I'll Love you; nor are we expecting Citizen Erased to become a regular participants of the setlist. However, the past 10 or so gigs have developed an EXTREMELY worring trend. Gone are the songs which illiustraded the band's ability, both individually, and as a whole. Butterflies and Hurricanes is yet to make an appearance, as is anything post-showbiz which wasn't a single. Taking the set from your recent (25th October 2009) gig in Oslo:

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Guiding Light

Interlude

Hysteria

United States of Eurasia

Feeling Good

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Plug In Baby

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

Stockholm Syndrome

Man With A Harmonica

Knights of Cydonia

Origin of Symmetry is only giving passive (and inherently predictable) reference, Absolution likewise.

In terms of length, the current trend appears to be 17 or 18 songs. the nearest comparitive setlist thength was on the absolution tour, which was around 17 to 19, occasionally breaking twenty. This is with almost HALF of the amount of material which you all -as a band- still have at your fingertips, or could have if you brought yourselves up to speed with them again. When you're charging anything up to £45 for a ticket with a not OVERLY flashy stage show to be playing Less material for approximately twice the price, with almost double the amount of material, and yet with a stagnating setlist smacks of grabbing the money and running

Setlists surely can't be THAT difficult to manouver and manipulate around the stage show (and if they are, why did you go for that stage show, You are primarily a band, to hinder yourselves for visual reasons is, in the eyes of many of us, extremely naive). Even if thereneeds to be a high concentration of later material, Plack Holes is RIFE with songs whi candropped in anywhere, rife with brilliant openers and closers, as is The Resistance. why allow your setlist to stagnate, when you could give a different show each night? more work, yes, but the reward would outweigh it almost exponentially.

Why not standardise the length of the sets as many bands do to give each city a fair show - Radiohead are a great example. They play a seventeen song main set, a five song encore and then a three song encore. Every show gets 25 songs and thanks to the standard length, it's easy to drop songs in and out for each show. Muse could easily do something like this, maybe a 15 song main set, then a three song encore and then a two song encore. It isn't a world changing concept.

Also, the whole 'but we have to tie in with the visuals' argument, frankly, doesn't wash. Yes, fair dos if you're playing a song that has specific visuals/ideas BUT, surely there are generic visuals/lighting/camerawork that would suffice just as well for songs WITHOUT specific planned visuals? I don't get why visuals require the setlist not to change order either? Surely if each song has its own scheme, they can be played in basically any order they like?

They're such simple, basic things that Muse could do to spice up their live shows which are already showing signs of stagnation after just 15 or so shows on this tour. The fact that the current idea of bringing back an older song or some such is a tired cover version of Feeling Good is frankly laughable. Everyone would love to think you're not pandering to a bland, generalised audience butthe current perception is that you ARE - every show follows the same predictable pattern and contains the same predictable songs. No proper show on the BH&R was without Starlight or Time Is Running Out, and 99% of shows featured Plug In Baby, Feeling Good and Supermassive Black Hole. The fact that this has continued on The Resistance tour seems to underline who they'd your priorities lie with these days.

Finally, We mostly feel that this gradual slide into become a safer, more "sterile" band is an absolute disgrace to your roots. Aren't you the same band who, when asked to mime on top of the pops, totally and utterly abused that and raised a massive finger to the mainstream industry? Would you still do that today, with this much success and without the steadying influence of age? every single factor seems to point to the fact that you would walk on to that stage, and mime just like your Cheryl Coles and Britney Spears's. You're at a crossroads guys, we're ppatient folk, but you're running the risk of alienating a lot of you core fans, who've been there since showbiz - I suppose the simple fact of the matter is to you care about us enough to change our minds?

Top work matey :LOL:.

Does that means the sexy plane will have to fly here instead? :erm:

I haven't read this thread, and I'm not going to read the whole thing :p but I have to say - the sexy plane needs to stay in the gig threads! :musesign::yesey: It's the only appropriate place for it!

Maybe people can just transition here if they're getting too moany in the gig thread :yesey:

They're also older than Muse :chuckle:

Nah seriously, it's ok to play fewer songs when you have less albums but I guess people are expecting a few extra from Muse considering they've got five albums and a bside/live album.

I fucking hate Feeling Good.

At least alex makes up for it with crowed interaction..

:LOL:

like this?

- Dead Star

- Fury

- The Groove

- Forced In

- Man Of Mystery

- Popcorn

Uprising

Resistance

New Born

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Guiding Light

Interlude

Hysteria

United States of Eurasia

Feeling Good

Undisclosed Desires

Starlight

Plug In Baby

Time Is Running Out

Unnatural Selection

Stockholm Syndrome

Man With A Harmonica

Knights of Cydonia

In terms of length, the current trend appears to be 17 or 18 songs. the nearest comparitive setlist thength was on the absolution tour, which was around 17 to 19, occasionally breaking twenty. This is with almost HALF of the amount of material which you all -as a band- still have at your fingertips, or could have if you brought yourselves up to speed with them again. When you're charging anything up to £45 for a ticket with a not OVERLY flashy stage show, to be playing Less material for approximately twice the price, with almost double the amount of material, and yet with a stagnating setlist smacks of grabbing the money and running

I think we should include the line graph from the 'Muse are past their best' thread in case the heavy reading is too much for them. And maybe mention the loudness war on Black Holes too. ;)

Top work matey :LOL:. Could make an open letter thread if you want and we could just sign it.

there's typos galore though :LOL: if someone could run it through spellcheck (MS word is being gimpy ATM) , it'd have a better a/effect (I'm not sure which it is:LOL: )

I think we should include the line graph from the 'Muse are past their best' thread in case the heavy reading is too much for them. And maybe mention the loudness war on Black Holes too. ;)

Nah, it's getting way too all-encompassing. I think Clunge's original post was good, to the point, and said it all. Taking that one will get the point across best. Otherwise the band will be distracted by all the other little opinions. Clunge's post was something we all agree on. Let's stick to that.

Archived