even though people have said it before, radiohead are the perfect example of a good balanced live band. they play good lengthy sets with good variation while having a sexy stage show (which i prefer over the pictures i have seen of muses new one)

Correct. Radiohead's In Rainbows tour was the PERFECT balance of new and old and showed just how easy it is to vary one's live show.

I suggest every takes a look at http://www.58hours.com and quickly skims through some of the Radiohead setlists between 2007 and 2009 and I'm sure you'll agree soon enough.

I know. It's so annoying that that campaign has done nothing. The band are aware of the playescapelive campaign and its not effected them at all. Even if they didn;t play escape, you;d have thought they might get the message about a shake up or older songs want to be played. But, no. :(

This highly annoys me aswell.

I Love muse as much as anything else. But this is a perfect example of how much their fans mean to them.

tbh< I think this whole album, tour and stuff as been far to rushed.

Escape is no where near my favourite song even on Showbiz, but if they played it then it would signal that they at least recognise not every fan at their shows got into them through BHaR/The Resistance/Obvious Singles

I'd get a tremendous kick out of hearing Pink Ego Box live. :LOL: Just to put my feelings into perspective.

C&P from the other thread...

-----

To clarify my thoughts.

Muse have five proper studio albums now giving them a grand total of 57 songs to choose from. Add live favourite b-sides such as:

- Dead Star

- Fury

- The Groove

- Forced In

- Man Of Mystery

- Popcorn

- Osaka Jam/Helsinki Jam/Dracula Mountain

That's a grand total of over sixty viable songs they COULD play live. Now, I'm not expecting them to dig as depe as rolling out the likes of Sober, Overdue, Screenager, Falling Away With You, etc, but to suggest that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to rehearse songs they have played hundreds of times like Muscle Museum, Bliss, Micro Cuts, Apocalypse Please and Butterflies & Hurricanes and then drop in 2/3 of them per gig is absurd.

As for gig length, Muse's gigs on the OoS tour featured anything between 14 and 18 songs, the Absolution tour was usually between 17 and 19 songs (20 on occasions) and the BH&R tour between 16 and 20. When you're charging anything up to £45 for a ticket with a not OVERLY flashy stage show (c'mon, these towers are just screens with a few hydrolics, nout technical), 20 songs has got to be the benchmark at the very minimum. You can't start DECREASING your sets.

Setlist order could easily be shaken up for each gig - what's wrong with experimenting? Why always play it safe? Muse have loads of songs that would make great openers and closers - even if they insist upon drawing them from The Resistance, Uprising, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and Overture would all make great openers and I'm sure Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and Redemption would make great closers. But why not, I don't know, just for sheer shits and giggles throw a curve ball and open with Apocalypse Please, or Dead Star, or Take A Bow, or Map Of The Problematique? And similarly, why not roll out a classic closing song, Showbiz, Bliss, Stockholm Syndrome?

Why not standardise the length of the sets as many bands do to give each city a fair show - Radiohead are a great example. They play a seventeen song main set, a five song encore and then a three song encore. Great, every show gets 25 songs and thanks to the standard length, it's easy to drop songs in and out for each show. Muse could easily do something like this, maybe a 15 song main set, then a three song encore and then a two song encore. Simples.

Also, I don't 'buy' the whole 'but we have to tie in with the visuals' argument. Yes, fair dos if you're playing a song that has specific visuals/ideas BUT, surely there are generic visuals/lighting/camerawork that would suffice just as well for songs WITHOUT specific planned visuals? I don't get why visuals require the setlist not to change order either? Surely if each song has its own scheme, they can be played in basically any order they like?

They're such simple, basic things that Muse could do to spice up their live shows which are already showing signs of stagnation after just 15 or so shows on this tour. The fact that their idea of bringing back an older song or some such is a tired cover version of Feeling Good is frankly laughable. I'd also love to think they're not pandering to a bland, generalised audience but I can only imagine they are - every show follows the same predictable pattern and contains the same predictable songs. No proper show on the BH&R was without Starlight or Time Is Running Out, and 99% of shows featured Plug In Baby, Feeling Good and Supermassive Black Hole. The fact that this has continued on The Resistance tour seems to underline who they'd chasing these days...

Disclaimer: I wouldn't write a post as indepth and long as this is I didn't care about Muse or their live show. I'm still a humongous Muse fanboy at heart but I just can't bare to see them stagnate as they are. I don't care what anyone says but Muse haven't deserved any of their 'best live act' awards since Glastonbury 2004 - I almost get the feeling they've become hugely complacent about their live show in the wake of all the praise they get. A flashy 'show' or 'spectacle' is NOT a replacement for spontenaity and passion which is so desperately lacking these days. I pay £45 to see a fair representation of Muse's back catalogue live, not to see a meagre 17 song setlist with a few bells and whistles. It would take so little for them to do this but it would make such a difference! I cannot emphasise enough just how easy it would to implement this .

/end.

_______

When quoting, divine command has it that the above should always be accompanied by:

Fuck it, whilst I'm on it...

Not only are the setlists exactly the same these days, these so called 'jams' and 'riffs' are EXACTLY the same at every show as well. They can't even jam with any spontenaity any more :'(.

When they played Showbiz, The Groove and Ruled By Secrecy within a 4 song run at V in 2004 I was just :eek:

No chance of anything like that happening now. How did they go from bringing Dead Star/Space Dementia/Megalomania/Ruled By Secrecy/Fury back at the end of the last tour to this?

When they played Showbiz, The Groove and Ruled By Secrecy within a 4 song run at V in 2004 I was just :eek:

No chance of anything like that happening now. How did they go from bringing Dead Star/Space Dementia/Megalomania/Ruled By Secrecy/Fury back at the end of the last tour to this?

They played from fucking amazing sets in 2004, really shocked with some of the stuff they played!

I want that kind of Muse back :(

They played ruled by secrecy in the last tour? :stunned:

That is one amazing song live, just a build up then a bang.. every time Chris hits that bass after the epic bang it just send shivers through your body. love.

Exactly, it beggars belief :(.

I know they have a new album to promote, that's fine - I love The Resistance, play the whole damn thing and I'd be happy. But to accompany it with a smattering of tired, over-played singles that have been in the setlist for anything up to the last eight years is just plain laziness :(.

Exactly, it beggars belief :(.

I know they have a new album to promote, that's fine - I love The Resistance, play the whole damn thing and I'd be happy. But to accompany it with a smattering of tired, over-played singles that have been in the setlist for anything up to the last eight years is just plain laziness :(.

Exactly. And even then... they do not really need to promote The Resistance, do they?;)

...and they're not even playing MK Ultra:rolleyes:

Archived