Where they going this time?

I'm trying to decide on a summer holiday. The way I'm going it will be October and too late.

Thought you already have everything planned! And I got my hideout\shelter ready and everything!

Had an awkward moment yesterday evening in Whangarei - we randomly accidentally walked through someone's private costume party!

My sister's friend suggested we take a shortcut to the place we were going, and it took us through this little underground bar. As we walked through, a large number of people in very weird costumes were standing there motionless staring at us. To make it all the more surreal, the Flash Gordon song by Queen was playing very loudly in this bar at the time.

It was very strange and quite hilarious.

Oh, and then my sister's friend hit herself in the face with the car door while opening it. Impressive skills! Not that I can talk, I suppose...

Haha, that sounds like a cool shortcut. Hitting yourself in the face with the car door is probably more of a skill than falling on your butt as soon as getting out of the car...

In the weekend I discovered how awesome and refreshing it is to have a Rotorua mud mask while drinking beer and watching a movie. Glad I bought a tube of mud instead of a single sachet so I can do it again at the end of the week.

There are some taxi trips that, even though they're the same distance really, feel infinitely longer than others. Tonight was one of those.

As soon as he pulled away from the taxi rank, the driver caught me by surprise with this - "never trust women, eh." I was like, "Sorry?" He repeated himself. I chuckled uneasily.

He then proceeded to rant for the rest of the trip about his lady troubles. Now, I don't mean to sound like I'm lacking in empathy, and I do usually pride myself on my ability to listen when people need to get things off their chest. But I usually prefer to do that for my friends, rather than for a taxi driver I first met literally 15 seconds earlier. This was just awkward, and it's really one of the last things I could have wanted after a long and busy day at work.

Surely he has friends he can talk to, rather than unloading on passengers who had no idea what they were getting into, and for whom the only other option is to leap out of a vehicle travelling at 80kph?

Just regarding the youth rate thing, it's stupid because of the backlash it'll end up having on older people. Some young workers are simply better (more energy etc.) and if they're cheaper to keep on, then of course the better, cheap young workers are going to get more hours over the average, expensive old workers.

Le sigh. I know there's more to it than that but this is why I hate politics.

The Wall is coming to New Zealand next year... Spaff.

Ooh sven went to that last year I think, and said it was really good. Might have to look into it!

There are some taxi trips that, even though they're the same distance really, feel infinitely longer than others. Tonight was one of those.

As soon as he pulled away from the taxi rank, the driver caught me by surprise with this - "never trust women, eh." I was like, "Sorry?" He repeated himself. I chuckled uneasily.

He then proceeded to rant for the rest of the trip about his lady troubles. Now, I don't mean to sound like I'm lacking in empathy, and I do usually pride myself on my ability to listen when people need to get things off their chest. But I usually prefer to do that for my friends, rather than for a taxi driver I first met literally 15 seconds earlier. This was just awkward, and it's really one of the last things I could have wanted after a long and busy day at work.

Surely he has friends he can talk to, rather than unloading on passengers who had no idea what they were getting into, and for whom the only other option is to leap out of a vehicle travelling at 80kph?

He probably just thought 'here's a guy I'm unlikely to ever see again, and is unlikely to ever know any of the people I'm talking about, so I'm just gonna pounce and get it all off my chest'.

Actual lol for the only other option to be leaping out of the car. Imagine if you had done that :LOL:

"So ladies huh? Let me tell you about this woman I'm seeing..."

"Sorry, excuse me for a second?"

LEAP!

:LOL:

Ooh sven went to that last year I think, and said it was really good. Might have to look into it

I'd sort it soon. Ticket go on sale on the 10th of July. I've been told it'll sell out in minutes (I don't have enough experience to comment on the validity of that). If you join the ticketmaster website, there is a presale..

I'd sort it soon. Ticket go on sale on the 10th of July. I've been told it'll sell out in minutes (I don't have enough experience to comment on the validity of that). If you join the ticketmaster website, there is a presale..

yeah I went to buy tickets less than 5 minutes after the sale began, and other than the prestige seats, they were all gone. I ended up paying around 1600 for 2 tickets.

He probably just thought 'here's a guy I'm unlikely to ever see again, and is unlikely to ever know any of the people I'm talking about, so I'm just gonna pounce and get it all off my chest'.

Yeah, true. Fair enough. And at least it wasn't a disgusting racist rant, which is the forte of some other taxi drivers.

Speaking of racist, ol' Don Brash is in the news again! (Nice segue, I thought). This time for some very interesting comments. The global warming one in particular astounds me.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10735481

yeah I went to buy tickets less than 5 minutes after the sale began, and other than the prestige seats, they were all gone. I ended up paying around 1600 for 2 tickets.

Jesus, I don't think I'd bother paying anything more than $150 (new Zealand dollars), as I'll already be paying $200+ for flights (and my friends wouldn't be able to afford it).

I've never been to the vector. What sort of area should I try and get tickets for? I'd rather not sit :/

Youth rates are ridiculous.

Check out how bad it is in the UK, basically times these by two at the moment:

* £5.93 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over

* £4.92 - the 18-20 rate

* £3.64 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18

* £2.50 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

What the heck are you doing in here? GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!

I've never been to the vector. What sort of area should I try and get tickets for? I'd rather not sit :/

I would have thought it would be all seated, but maybe not. Usually standing is all one area (general admission), although maybe they'll section it off into two if they expect it to be packed. I doubt it though, Vector is actually surprisingly small inside.

I would have thought it would be all seated, but maybe not. Usually standing is all one area (general admission), although maybe they'll section it off into two if they expect it to be packed. I doubt it though, Vector is actually surprisingly small inside.

Hmm, oki doki. Thanks :)

They've put the prices up on ticketmaster ($99 is the cheapest - cheaper than i expected). If you join the Radio Hauraki website, there's also a presale on Monday.

Sweet Disposition played at Countdown today. :happy: I sang along a bit in the checkout queue. Checkout operator 'Sapphire' (yes, Sapphire) gave me a funny look.

:chuckle:

I just bought a new telescope off trademe. It's not a well recognised brand but it's all I can afford at the moment so I hope it's at least slightly better than the one I already have. The tripod and stability of my current telescope is quite wonky, making it quite hard to look at something for very long...

I got a polite telling-off last week for staying 40 minutes late in one shift....I stayed two hours late tonight. :$ Hope I get away with it.

It's amazing reading the transcripts of the phone calls TVNZ has received in the last couple of days about the newsreaders reading a couple of lines in Maori every night in Maori Language Week. :noey:

Must say I like this idea: http://tvnz.co.nz/politics-news/property-investors-face-capital-gains-tax-under-labour-4286740

Seems to work well in Australia and other countries.