I think you mean

By the looks of it, possibly :LOL: you two are over there, I'm going over, Richard's going over, Kitty has plans to stow away in our luggage... :chuckle:

Also I hope the party went well, Rich! I was at that other 21st until past midnight, so I couldn't make it. Hope it was fun though.

P.s Auckland Uni students- my letter did get published in Craccum :LOL: Its rather enraged- see if you can find it.

I haven't seen this publicised but the Budget takes away the ability of unis to have compulsory union membership. Okay fine, free association and all that but it means no union fees can be borrowed through the student loan. Seems like a National trick to undermine union membership. The savings forecasted are so minimal!

Budget thoughts anyone? I think its a bit wankerish to take away course related costs to part time students and living costs to 55+. Goes against the principle of making education accessible to everyone.

To be honest, it turned out a lot better than I thought it would. Sure, I haven't read into it much, but it seems like they've actually thought a lot of things through to try and get this country out of the hole we're in economically. That education thing is a bit silly though... At least they didn't change student loans too much though for the general population.

However, Kiwisaver is still something I think should be overhauled altogether if it's really destroying our country that much. That 'headstart' incentive is so pointless for someone my age and anyone who's under about 40. What's $1000 going to be worth to me in 50 years when I retire?! It's obviously costing the government a fair bit, cut it! I never liked the scheme though so I'm a bit biased for that reason.

I have never agreed with Kiwisaver. One, the government has said itself that it is borrowing money to give to kiwis to put into savings. Two, people are putting in 2-4% salary (depending on which government was in) when a lot of New Zealanders have huge debts with high interest rates. It's such a false economy. If employers want to offer superannuation schemes where they match contributions, so they should (ie. I've worked for several employer who'll match up to 8%). Then lastly, it's a political football. It's very much a here today, gone tomorrow sort of thing. I'd be surprised if it's even around in anywhere remotely near it's current scheme in 10 years.

The fucking opt out has also been made as frustrating as possible to trick people to stay in the scheme. I had to opt out and it took like 2 months to get my $56 back.

I haven't seen this publicised but the Budget takes away the ability of unis to have compulsory union membership. Okay fine, free association and all that but it means no union fees can be borrowed through the student loan. Seems like a National trick to undermine union membership. The savings forecasted are so minimal!

That's the one thing I disagree with the most about the compulsory membership. I understand the free association argument and all of that, but I don't think it's right to remove the compulsory membership. How many first year uni students are going to want to subscribe for it if they have to pay for it out of their own money? It's going to be tough for student unions to convince people to pay for the membership out of their own pocket.

As long as I haven't run myself into debt by next year, I'll pay for the membership, based upon all the ranting I've done about this in Wellington.

Randomly I really do not think they should change our weird giveway rule. It makes sense to not leave cars in the middle of the road unable to turn as soon as possible. Don't like it England. In Chch you'd need so many more free turns at traffic lights or you would never turn at most intersections.

The thread "MMP to go" on trademe makes me really want to kill myself. Everyone wants to go back to FPP. Have they not even seen what happened in the UK elections which was FPP?! :facepalm:

Problem with referendums, people will get their opinions when they won't be fully educated. I'd like to see what the education will be this year, the stuff I read from the 1992 referendum was fairly laughable.

And it probably will be again this year. But it may not make a difference, as I'm sure a whole lot of those people have already made up their minds. And they'll probably use things like the fact that Hone Harawira is in Parliament as reasons for disliking MMP, when in fact he won an electorate seat so would be in under any electoral system.