Thank God that most of the international search and rescue teams have 'finished up' here and can go and help in Japan. Sadly, a lot of them are probably physically and emotionally destroyed from here, so this will perhaps be too much :(

Tsunami warning for here too, I don't think that'll amount to much. Well, I'm hoping like crazy, anyway. Last thing the world needs right now is tsunamis everywhere.

It's scary that the only reports of damage so far are from Tokyo, which is ages away from the worst-affected region. Apparently there are a couple of cities of around 1 million people much closer to it than Tokyo.

It hit in northern Japan, but it's probably similar to Lyttleton and Sumner here - although they're the worst hit areas, it's probably very difficult to get to those places to get any kind of reports. Sure, Christchurch got hit bad, but the epicentre is always going to get the most damage... Tokyo is huge, it'd be very easy to get reports from there.

I think that's the case, yeah. Apparently Civil Defence still has a marine warning in place, but I'm not quite sure what that means.

I remember when we went to Piha and then later realised just how serious that tsunami warning was that day (although at least we were on the opposite coast).

Such a relief to hear my supervisor say today that there's nothing major that needs to be changed in what he's read of my thesis so far. Was so scared of having to do a massive overhaul in fuck-all time.

Richard, to resume our earlier conversation: Junior mints not refreshing at all. It's more like eating peppermint chocolate. Delicious nonetheless. Jujyfruits somewhat disappointing, just really hard chewy fruit gums, and most of the flavours taste pretty bad.

And I'm glad your thesis is going well. I'm fairly sure you're going to a great job.

Thanks. :) I'm at the point where I need all the encouragement I can get.

Junior mints not refreshing at all. It's more like eating peppermint chocolate. Delicious nonetheless. Jujyfruits somewhat disappointing, just really hard chewy fruit gums, and most of the flavours taste pretty bad.

:eek:

I've been misled. But I'm pleased to hear the junior mints were at least delicious. That's something. It's not all horrendous, filthy lies.

Hey Moas.

Terrible about Japan and quite worrying with all these other smaller earthquakes going on. Really makes you think a about what could happen here especially since Auckland is kind of in the middle of all these events. But must not dwell on it too much.

I went to Rangitoto on the morning after the Japan earthquake and the water was quite calm. Much better than the week before where the boat had been cancelled. Had old fashioned tea and scones there which was very pleasant.

headshot.gif

:chuckle:

:LOL: epic. That must have hurt, though.

Keep saying I'm going to go to Elam to research my art history stuff today. Haven't done it yet. Probably won't. Liking Auckland Uni so far. Less so the crazy Auckland weather, with its rain and heat and smell (not necessarily a bad smell, but it just... smells different). Philosophy is better than Vic, though. Y'know, imo.

That shows how long it's been since I last went to Rangitoto - I don't remember there being anywhere you could have tea and scones there!

Scones and tea were included with the bach tour. They guide you around some of the baches and at the last one which is open for looking in they had a table and chairs setup in the back yard with everything nicely laid out. They had the coolest owl teapot cosy.

headshot.gif

:chuckle:

Ehehehe :LOL:

Keep saying I'm going to go to Elam to research my art history stuff today. Haven't done it yet. Probably won't. Liking Auckland Uni so far. Less so the crazy Auckland weather, with its rain and heat and smell (not necessarily a bad smell, but it just... smells different). Philosophy is better than Vic, though. Y'know, imo.

Glad you're liking Auckland. The weather here is a funny thing, but just today a girl from England at uni said she prefers our weather to it being overcast for weeks with no sun.

I'm really disappointed about this Darren Hughes scandal - I've always had high hopes for him as a future Labour prime minister. He's a brilliant speaker and often quite hilarious.

I hope the whole thing turns out to be nothing major. I've heard a rumour it was 'unwanted advances', which could be anything from an innocent misunderstanding to something much more sinister.

Have to say it was impressive of him to speak out and say it was him while he had name suppression, just so his colleagues weren't suspected.