Now, I know that I may have said that the looters are terrible, but this is just...I don't even know:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=114085221999421

The comments from some people is embarrassing, especially on the photos. While I have no objections to name and shame and these people do deserve punishment, the amount of torture and death threats is saddening, especially when it wouldn't surprise me if some arsehole has simply posted a Facebook profile of a person they don't like (and they'd have to cop it - you can message most people, even if they're not your friends).

I haven't explained what I mean very well, and I'm not defending these people, but they're the least of people's worries at the moment, and I think wishing torture and death upon them is a bit far. I find it a bit upsetting, if anything.

edit:

And on refreshing the page, I found this: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christchurch-Looters-Should-be-Hung/195428723815558

It's just going a bit far, and I think people have better things to focus on.

Yeah, I absolutely agree.

I was disgusted that some people posted negative comments on Len Brown's announcement that Auckland was donating $1.5m. They were objecting to ratepayers' money being given away like that. Come on, it comes to $1 for each Aucklander.

They said people should make their own donations. They absolutely should, I agree, but I think it's important for the city as a whole to make a united gesture like that as well.

Fortunately those negative views were strongly rebutted, and people where overwhelmingly in favour of the donation.

Hey Moas. What horrible news about that earthquake down in Christchurch. No-one I know was down there (a friend had been doing research with the uni after the first one, but they came back way before the second), but my older cousin's partner's parents live down there. Apparently they're all fine, but their house is ruined. A real shame. Its very tragic for all the people who have had to deal with so many aftershocks from the first already, and then to have another happen.

In other news I am in the university library- sneaky Moas could probably find me :LOL:

I'm in the postgrad lab - the only place I can find that's safe from all the first years. There really is an abundance of them around today.

They sure are abundant. At one point there was a heard of students all walking in the same direction and it looked like a great migration you would see on a national geographic documentary! It was so noisy between 12 and 1pm when everyone was sitting outside having lunch.

Not long ago some drunk idiot started attacking the tube withholding all the telephone cables outside my place and completely broke them all :wtf:

Yeah, absolutely.

I'm not sure why they're so opposed to the idea of a special levy. It wouldn't have to be a big amount at all per person, and I think the disaster has affected us to such an extent that I don't think it's something many people would complain about.

The levy for earthquakes already essentially exists with EQC. Sure, not everyone pays it but most people that it affects would have (businesses, home owners, content insurance). Not sure it's justifiable to put another one on. I'd agree with scaling back Working for Families as Labour should have never extended it to as many earners as they did (but then again, it was the very reason I had a job straight out of Uni).

Putting interest on student loans wouldn't do anything. People still are only ever going to pay the minimum requirement through PAYE and fuck off overseas without paying it (legally at least for the first 3 years of repayment holiday). Some people might be responsible and then want to pay it off as quick as possible but that's barely going to make a dent.

Putting interest on student loans wouldn't do anything. People still are only ever going to pay the minimum requirement through PAYE and fuck off overseas without paying it (legally at least for the first 3 years of repayment holiday). Some people might be responsible and then want to pay it off as quick as possible but that's barely going to make a dent.

Although I know that debt is something I hate, at some point in my life I'm going to get a mortgage, I'll probably end up getting a credit card (although I'll avoid them like the plague) and I really don't think paying off my student loan will ever be a priority. I'll just pay the minimum until it's finally paid off when I'm 60 or something :p

Beautifully fine pretty much all summer here, apart from the two days I most wanted to be fine - the BDO in January and now Derby day tomorrow. :( The rain is lashing down right now. Oh well. It won't matter at all if Jimmy wins. He's so awesome. :happy:

Bit quiet in here! Sorry I haven't been doing my bit - I've done loads of extra shifts at work lately so haven't had much free time. Tomorrow's my sixth work day in a row, then I have Saturday off, then another four days at work after that.