Muse sabotage their own performance (The Music Magazine)

Natalia

The Link

"There’s a history of bands not liking being told to mime on television, and once again Muse took exception to this request by doing things their own way.

Years ago, on children’s television programme Live And Kicking, the band performed the song New Born to a lip synched track. Not that you’re able to tell, of course, as this is how keyboards are usually played:

"You’ll notice the longer the performance goes on the more erratic frontman Matt Bellamy’s hand movements get, to the point when he’s not actually touching anything but the keyboard is still playing. What the really keen-eyed among you may have noticed, is that bassist Chris Wolstenholme and drummer Dominic Howard have also swapped instruments.

But anyway, it was all young reckless abandon, right? Wrong.

Muse were at it again recently on Italian TV. Brownie points to the one who can spot what’s wrong with the performance this time:

Yeah, they were at it again. This time though, it was the turn of Bellamy to pick up the sticks, leave Howard on vocals and bass, while Wolstenholme took up guitar and keyboard duties. It’s not exactly difficult to miss, as we’d hate to actually listen to the drumbeat Bellamy plays – the frontman spends more time focusing on pulling silly faces and pointing his sticks at the camera than actually hitting the drums.

And the best bit? Nobody noticed. At the end of the video the clueless Italian host approaches Howard to interview him. He even references “our drummer, Matt” and you can see the other two leave the stage in fits of laughter.

Why you would ask one of the country’s finest live bands to mime on television is beyond us. But after the press coverage this stunt has gained it’s unlikely they’ll get the chance to pull this particular trick again."

The Link

"There’s a history of bands not liking being told to mime on television, and once again Muse took exception to this request by doing things their own way.

Years ago, on children’s television programme Live And Kicking, the band performed the song New Born to a lip synched track. Not that you’re able to tell, of course, as this is how keyboards are usually played:

"You’ll notice the longer the performance goes on the more erratic frontman Matt Bellamy’s hand movements get, to the point when he’s not actually touching anything but the keyboard is still playing. What the really keen-eyed among you may have noticed, is that bassist Chris Wolstenholme and drummer Dominic Howard have also swapped instruments.

But anyway, it was all young reckless abandon, right? Wrong.

Muse were at it again recently on Italian TV. Brownie points to the one who can spot what’s wrong with the performance this time:

Yeah, they were at it again. This time though, it was the turn of Bellamy to pick up the sticks, leave Howard on vocals and bass, while Wolstenholme took up guitar and keyboard duties. It’s not exactly difficult to miss, as we’d hate to actually listen to the drumbeat Bellamy plays – the frontman spends more time focusing on pulling silly faces and pointing his sticks at the camera than actually hitting the drums.

And the best bit? Nobody noticed. At the end of the video the clueless Italian host approaches Howard to interview him. He even references “our drummer, Matt” and you can see the other two leave the stage in fits of laughter.

Why you would ask one of the country’s finest live bands to mime on television is beyond us. But after the press coverage this stunt has gained it’s unlikely they’ll get the chance to pull this particular trick again."

this makes me laugh a lot :LOL:

them all swapping places for Uprising was so good! :awesome: I particularly loved Matt's facial expressions, Dom trying hard not to laugh at some points, and Chris' glasses :D

:musesign:

Mmm! This article seems to be written with little humour. I don't think Muse were really thinking of this in terms of a serious career move. And I loved Matt's expressions and his moves too, very tongue in cheek, which made it even funnier.:D

I'm not sure they could top this, but they're probably think of something, if anyone dares ask them again!:D

Mmm! This article seems to be written with little humour. I don't think Muse were really thinking of this in terms of a serious career move. And I loved Matt's expressions and his moves too, very tongue in cheek, which made it even funnier.:D

I'm not sure they could top this, but they're probably think of something, if anyone dares ask them again!:D

Get the backstage guys to do the performance.

Tom Kirk on bass, Kev on the drums :LOL:

Morgan singing.

Has to happen!

:LOL: I was just about to post that when I saw you initial post!!

MORGAN LEAD FTW!!!

The worst is that the presenter had them on the show 3 years ago and interview Matt as the lead singer so it's not like she had never met them - clearing a pretty (empty) head then :rolleyes:

:LOL: I was just about to post that when I saw you initial post!!

MORGAN LEAD FTW!!!

The worst is that the presenter had them on the show 3 years ago and interview Matt as the lead singer so it's not like she had never met them - clearing a pretty (empty) head then :rolleyes:

Yeah i was wondering how could she not know he isnt really the drummer, have Italy never focused on Muse in the past? It is just very funny, they should do this when asked to mime or even do it properly... it is a funny idea to have Matt on the drums etc.

The Live and Kicking one, is just funny... swinging his arms on the keyboard at the start!

:LOL: Yes good one! I thought Matt could mime the words to a completely different song!

Yeah... they need to mime more often... it makes it more amusing...

if its out here, maybe not in the UK but maybe when asked to play foreign places and asked to mime.

Matt doing Stockholm Syndrome to Unnatural selection

Yeah it is... Dom and Chris played it very well... Matt just was making faces and swinging his arms around...

Archived