Media player - disable video for low bandwidth users?

interpolpirate

I was just reminded when the uprising video was released:

Occasionally my internet runs very slowly (I'm sure I'm not the only persone with this problem) and it would be nice to be able to disable video on the media player and just have the sound so as to decrease the time needed for it to buff on a slow connection.

For example on the uprising single page: (http://muse.mu/media-player/singles/45/uprising/) you have to have the video as well as the sound. This is frustrating when your connection isnt very fast!

Sorry, that's just the way the media player is set. I would suggest just, like, buying the mp3 or owning a CD if you want to hear the song.

I have both the iTunes LP and the CD/DVD.

Point is its useful for people who wish to try the album before they buy, it doesnt kill your download limit like videos do and it really isnt that difficult to implement.

I have both the iTunes LP and the CD/DVD.

Point is its useful for people who wish to try the album before they buy, it doesnt kill your download limit like videos do and it really isnt that difficult to implement.

You'd have to contact the web designers then. Until then people still using dial up (where on earth are they living!?) will have to make do.

Until then people still using dial up (where on earth are they living!?) will have to make do.

I'm talking about broadband.

People who live in counties such as South Africa or Australia quite often have a 3GB monthly download limit.

People like myself who live in villages at the end of the line in england often get terrible speeds that cant stream from muse.mu or youtube because of the video.

If there was a lof-fi version of the site it would mean I can use it when my net is misbehaving, and other people can look at it as well without having to shed out $10 for another GB on their download limit.

You can make mocking comments about dial up but for some people thats all they can get in their area.

A lot of sites like last.fm and facebook have lite versions for people with these issues.

Not everyone in the world is so lucky as yourselves with internet connection speed, you would do well to remember that, rather than just dismissing it offhandedly because everyone has a 100Meg line with unlimited downloads, right?

Anyway I can see you arent likely to change your minds so I'll stop trolling this thread and make use of the fact that my internet is behaving itself for once.

Yeah im one of those who hasnt got a fast connection, it still copes just about, just need to preload some of it beforehand. The problem with what's being suggested is that it would take quite a bit of time to implement with all the videos up now and then redesigned a new media player to sort that out.

Archived