Unnatural Selection or MK Ultra?

Problemfanatique

Unnatural Selection or MK Ultra?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Unnatural Selection or MK Ultra?

• Unnatural Selection
    • MK Ultra
    • I can't decide, I like them both

I love how influenced and diverse Unnatural Selection really is. I'm not saying these influences are bad, but this song acts as a homage to several great bands of the past and the OoS/Absolution era of Muse. Judging by the extended, 5.1 version of the song:

- Organ intro slightly reminiscent of Megalomania, the only other Muse song with a prominent organ

- That small Queen explosion after the intro, with a very Brian May-esque soound

- New Born-esque riff

- The energy of The Small Print packed into the verse

- Similarities to Thoughts of Dying Atheist in the chorus

- Pink Floyd/The Mars Volta interlude + solo

- Metallica outro!

The thing is, the song remains cohesive in the transitions, and packs a punch. Not the best song on The Resistance, but a wonderful addition that pays tribute to, well, music.

I think you summed up the song well, heard all those influences as well.

• 1 year later...

Niether, but if I had to, MK ULTRA. It's like Muse sat down and said "lets make 2 songs that are similarish to New Born and Plug In Baby and then pretend the albums like Origin Of Symmetry, the fans would love that. And lets add a shit old style jam in one."

Rant over.

I love both, but I'm going for MK ULTRA.

Unnatural Selection is just a recycled New Born with simple, obvious lyrics and a breakdown that is amazing live but does absolutely nothing on the album. I have to agree with everyone saying it's too polished and a little too long on the album. It's almost as if they were trying too hard to pack as many influences as possible in, both other artists and their own back catalogue, and it's far too easy to see.

It took me a while to get into MK, but it's easily on eof my favourite Muse songs. My favourite on the album behind Exogenesis. It's everything I'd want a hard Muse song to be.

I've probably been a bit unfairly harsh on US, but both songs are epic, even more so live, and they make up the best passage on the album excluding the three parts of Exogenesis, but MK is my favourite.

Archived