Unnatural Selection or MK Ultra?

Problemfanatique

Unnatural Selection or MK Ultra?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Unnatural Selection or MK Ultra?

• Unnatural Selection
    • MK Ultra
    • I can't decide, I like them both

I agree that MK Ultra sounds new and different, while US has some elements of previous Muse songs. I really love both, but MK Ultra is just too short! I like US maybe a little more because it's longer and has several different sections to it, and each section has a different feel.

MK Ultra.

As said in the other topic, it's like The Resistance's answer to Stockholm Syndrome. It's dark, grim, paranoid and rifftastic. I'm hoping to see this live as a set closer with a bunchload of riffs. It also has the most unique guitar sound that the band has done to date, almost has a videogame-esque sound to it.

Unnatural Selection is really great. It's jammy, riffy and I love the lyrics. But imo it's the most "b-side esque" track on the album. Not that it's a bad thing ofcourse. It's probably cause in terms of what Muse do rock-wise, it's not as complex as most of their other songs.

Disagree.

I really, really don't see the comparison to Stockholm Syndrome. MK Ultra for me is too repetetive, and the synth strings (or real strings, I've no idea) get on my nerves, to be honest. I think Muse synths are at their best when they're arpeggiating and at their worst...well, in MK Ultra. I'd agree that Unnatural Selection can feel disjointed at times, but given the rest of the song I feel the MK Ultra riff has nothing in common with its context. In addition, it comes with the same problem that many songs from the Resistance have: it's synthy, poppiness is only compounded by its repetitiveness. In a better song, take Stockholm Syndrome, the drumline changes within a verse, the synths run massive arpeggios, there's an interesting riff, and the solo, while not especially complex, expands on the riff in a way that jives with the rest the song. I could go on and on about any of the songs in Absolution or OoS, but, as I'm sure my comments elsewhere have made abundantly clear, I'm not a fan of this new album.

Disagree.

I really, really don't see the comparison to Stockholm Syndrome. MK Ultra for me is too repetetive, and the synth strings (or real strings, I've no idea) get on my nerves, to be honest. I think Muse synths are at their best when they're arpeggiating and at their worst...well, in MK Ultra. I'd agree that Unnatural Selection can feel disjointed at times, but given the rest of the song I feel the MK Ultra riff has nothing in common with its context. In addition, it comes with the same problem that many songs from the Resistance have: it's synthy, poppiness is only compounded by its repetitiveness. In a better song, take Stockholm Syndrome, the drumline changes within a verse, the synths run massive arpeggios, there's an interesting riff, and the solo, while not especially complex, expands on the riff in a way that jives with the rest the song. I could go on and on about any of the songs in Absolution or OoS, but, as I'm sure my comments elsewhere have made abundantly clear, I'm not a fan of this new album.

Funny you should say it's repetitive when Stockholm Syndrome is one of the most repetitive Muse songs ever done, and even I who love that song admit to that. On live performances I sometimes even forget if it's come to the stick solo or if its on the outro. Sure it's got a speedy drumriff and a nice solo but it doesn't really expand onto anything from that where-as MK Ultra is more experimental and diverse. I love both songs just about equally but MK Ultra might be that one pinch higher.

Also you DO know that the videogametronic like sound is a Guitar, right? It's not a synth. The track is guitar dominated more than any other Muse song I've seen and if anything the synth is just for the background ambients. If you've seen the making of you'd notice it, it's a heavily FX processed guitar using one of their new pads. I was surprised when I found that out but it's true. This is one of the reasons why I'm worried over how they'll pull it off live cause they'd need two guitar players or the sound wouldn't be the same throughout the entire song.

Well the first time I heard US I just had the biggest shit-eating grin on my face that wouldn't go away. The riffage is just so delicious. I thought for sure it'd be my #1 top played song on last.fm....until I saw that MK Ultra was (to my surprise).

I think what I love about MK Ultra is that the energy level is just up up up the whole time and the guitar sound and riffs are so unusual. I also think that Matt's melodic vocal line in the verses is beautiful. It starts low and builds up into something sweeping and powerful all at the same time.

But US is just so damn catchy!!!!

I can't decide. :$

I love how influenced and diverse Unnatural Selection really is. I'm not saying these influences are bad, but this song acts as a homage to several great bands of the past and the OoS/Absolution era of Muse. Judging by the extended, 5.1 version of the song:

- Organ intro slightly reminiscent of Megalomania, the only other Muse song with a prominent organ

- That small Queen explosion after the intro, with a very Brian May-esque soound

- New Born-esque riff

- The energy of The Small Print packed into the verse

- Similarities to Thoughts of Dying Atheist in the chorus

- Pink Floyd/The Mars Volta interlude + solo

- Metallica outro!

The thing is, the song remains cohesive in the transitions, and packs a punch. Not the best song on The Resistance, but a wonderful addition that pays tribute to, well, music.

Archived