Oh look, someone's starting to understand. And he's ex-Warner!? :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11547279

Err £1? I think that is taking the piss a little bit.. Maybe if records stores would actually start selling cd's again rather than a majority of video games and maybe if you're lucky they have the artists you were looking for a lot more people would do an impulse buy? Because £6 is still an ok amount for an impulse buy, escecially when I compare it to the €20 prices in the Netherlands.

Oh and maybe stores could also turn their in-store music down so people will actually stay in the store and browse.. and then buy.

" In his scenario, record labels would be able to make "big money" from other sources such as gig tickets and merchandising."

Like gig tickets don't cost enough already..

Err £1? I think that is taking the piss a little bit.. Maybe if records stores would actually start selling cd's again rather than a majority of video games and maybe if you're lucky they have the artists you were looking for a lot more people would do an impulse buy? Because £6 is still an ok amount for an impulse buy, escecially when I compare it to the €20 prices in the Netherlands.

Oh and maybe stores could also turn their in-store music down so people will actually stay in the store and browse.. and then buy.

" In his scenario, record labels would be able to make "big money" from other sources such as gig tickets and merchandising."

Like gig tickets don't cost enough already..

Yeah I also believe that £1 is ridiculous, but the whole point of lowering the prices is a very good point in my opinion.

In fact I totally share your opinion :)

To me, everything under 10 EUR seems fair, I think 7 to 8 EUR for recent albums should be the norm. In Belgium it's also ridiculously expensive, and then you even have to be lucky to find your favourite artist. And yes, it would help if cd stores actually sold cd's, instead of video games, books, clothing, mobile phones,... It really pisses me off that every time I want a cd, I have to either travel all around Belgium to find it in a shop, or search the whole internet hoping to find the album at a fair price.

Just thought of it only a few weeks ago: release of Serj Tankian's new album. No Lady Gaga, obviously. Had to go from shop to shop asking for that album, only three weeks after the official release I finally found it in a shop at 21 EUR. I guess Warner and in this case Free Record Shop, would wonder why I ended up downloading the album illegally? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Ooh I also forgot to mention that for those 7 EUR, I also want a real cd in a real cd-case, no stupid piece of cardboard that they like to call "digipak" :LOL:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've never posted on this thread, but I feel like it's almost obligatory I suppose :chuckle:

I'm gonna try to make a somewhat relevant post :LOL: I suppose it seems like a good proposition, but I also think it really seems pretty unrealistic... I mean, I can't picture ISPs agreeing to that sort of thing, let alone users wanting to agree to pay extra for their usage (not to mention I think it would be hard to truly accurately monitor data usage and all that). Just doesn't seem realistic to me, though it's logical in theory.

I don't remember why, exactly, but there was some random guest speaker at my college a couple years ago talking about how to handle this sort of thing (in terms of whether or not users should pay, the legality of the downloading and sharing files, what sort of laws or changes should be made, etc), and surprisingly a bunch of the kids in the audience were piping up about it :chuckle: Guess it's because our generation is really the one doing most of this sort of downloading, so any laws in relation to it would probably affect us the most :p

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

wow, his method is exactly how I've always thought it should work. Since most copyrighted media nowadays has it's own digital signature, it would be rather easy for the ISPs to track and charge you accordingly. If they can track my downloading a torrent, slow my speed down, and then send me an email detailing what I downloaded, and to stop (yes this happened to me once, thus I refuse to use BitTorrent anymore as long as my family has this ISP), then they can SURELY implement a system like what dear ol' Matty has laid out. Who knew Matt and I were on the same wavelength? lol

wow, his method is exactly how I've always thought it should work. Since most copyrighted media nowadays has it's own digital signature, it would be rather easy for the ISPs to track and charge you accordingly. If they can track my downloading a torrent, slow my speed down, and then send me an email detailing what I downloaded, and to stop (yes this happened to me once, thus I refuse to use BitTorrent anymore as long as my family has this ISP), then they can SURELY implement a system like what dear ol' Matty has laid out. Who knew Matt and I were on the same wavelength? lol

What's your ISP? Never had a problem with comcast or verizon in NY, so I hope its not those.

If they can track my downloading a torrent, slow my speed down, and then send me an email detailing what I downloaded, and to stop (yes this happened to me once, thus I refuse to use BitTorrent anymore as long as my family has this ISP), then they can SURELY implement a system like what dear ol' Matty has laid out.

Wow are they even allowed to do this??? Wha's your ISP? Unless there is some serious investigation against you, I don't think your ISP is even allowed to use anything of this private information against you :erm:

Btw it's rather sad if they start chasing those people who sporadically download a torrent that is available for anyone typing the name of a song into Google... :rolleyes:

Archived