What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

Well for me it has to be the resistance! Uprising is a fantastic opener with fist punching lyrics and fantastic guitar work! Resistance is such a beautiful song starting slow trance like and kicking into a fantastic rock ballad! Undisclosed desires is one of my favourite muse songs because it shows off how muse can pull any genre! United State of Eurasia + Collateral damage the piano in this is fantastic not only due to its solo at the end but it is also a song which you can scream the lyrics to and fist punch who doesn't love that! Guiding light now this song has caused so much division between muse fans that i'm taking my stand in the love section! This song screams passion and the solo in the middle is to die for... Then on to Unnatural selection a heavy song not one of my personal favourites on the album because i listened to it way to much when the album came out but i cant deny this is a great song! Then on to my favourite on the album...... MK ULTRA it has electronic synths, mad guitars and strings with such a brilliant meaning to the song i'm surprised they didn't play this more often live! I belong to you is an honest love song which up until now the album had been lacking and the addition of the french operatic bit in the middle makes the song unforgettable. Lastly the 3 Part symphony: The first part is a great opening setting the scene of mystery and wonder showing that this is no ordinary symphony but one with guitars singing! Part two the piano opening is fantastic and has a fantastic build up but the last part can only be described in one word perfect.

This is my humble opinion by the way i think all the albums have their merits but this one flies high due to its classical influences mixed with rock!

Some neat things in there. The 2nd Law having no negative reviews was interesting (although it did have a few reviews that were very close to negative). It also had a high score (from a critic) of 92 whereas the highest score that TR received from a critic was 82. The 2nd Law also received around ten 80's. Pretty much shows that critics like it but don't love it. Same thing seems to apply for The Resistance except as previously stated it also has some negative reviews thrown into the mix.

AV have always dismissed Muse as the musical equivalent of Michael Bay (though they give Angels and Airwaves good reviews, what's that about?) You haven't seen the Spin review (but hey, they've been astonishingly wrong before- see the infamour 1star for White Pony) or Quietus, who were spitting blood and venom in their review.

Er, is triplestar for real? Only that looks like what would get written if Sippe overdosed on sarcasm.

Showbiz is the weakest for me, perhaps inevitably, though The Resistance has the biggest flaws but bigger highs. Then I'd say T2L, then Origin and BH&R on a level footing although they're very different albums, with Absolution sitting pretty at the top. Though this is coming from an out-and-out sycophant, for me Muse's albums go:

Strong debut

Bloody awesome album

Magnum feckin' opus

Bloody awesome album

Good album but with clear flaws

Damn good album

Here's my album order at the moment.

1. Black Holes and Revelations: So many amazing songs, and such a variety. I never get sick of listening to it. Despite what many think on here, I think it's just coherent enough to make it an actual album, and I love the fact that the songs are so varied. It works, too, because there are only two real weak songs (Invincible and Soldier's Poem, the rest are good to amazing). The other songs, like City of Delusion, Knights, Map, and Hoodoo, make up for it easily.

2. Origin of Symmetry: So many good songs on here. It is easily more consistently good than Black Holes, but there aren't as many standouts, in my opinion. My favorites are Bliss, Hyper Music, Micro Cuts, and Screenager, and the others are good as well, but there's just not as much variety as Black Holes, and there aren't as many "Holy shit this is amazing" moments, at least in my opinion. The top two albums are very close, but Origin doesn't quite take the title of best album.

3. Absolution/ The 2nd Law: These two are pretty evenly matched. Starting with Absolution: Some of my favorite Muse songs are on this album, like Butterflies, Hysteria, and Stockholm Syndrome. But there are a glaring amount of weaker tracks, including one that I absolutely cannot stand (ToaDA). I'm really not a fan of Endlessly or FAWY or Apocalypse Please (gasp!). 2nd Law is very similar: I absolutely love Panic Station, Animals, and Survival, and Explorers to an extent. But I cannot stand Unsustainable, and there are definitely some other weaker songs on this album, like Save Me and Madness. So, basically, both albums are pretty polarized, with both amazing songs and not-so-good songs.

4. Showbiz/ The Resistance: Showbiz, being their first, is obviously not up to par with their later stuff. But I really enjoy stuff like Sunburn, HTaILY and Showbiz. Overall, it's really a pretty good album (except for Overdue, can't stand that one). But, again it's not exactly amazing. The Resistance has some great moments (MK Ultra, USoE, Exogenesis), but the rest of the album is either okay to not that great. I find it a little hard to sit through the whole album. No song on it is that glaringly bad (okay, maybe GL, but it's not as bad as people say it is), but I just can't really feel like I legitimately enjoy listening to all of it. Both of these albums are pretty much equal to me because despite some great songs, they're both kind of meh on the whole.

Sorry for the length, just a random ramble because I can't sleep :p

• 2 months later...

Origin of Symmetry is the clear winner for me. It was the album that introduced me to muse, and it still is my favorite album by them. It might even qualify as my favorite album ever.

It flows very well, and I sincerely like every song. New Born stands out to me as the best song on the album, but I also adore Citizen Erased, Bliss and Plug In Baby. All in all their best album.

I don't know where to put T2L... It has incredibly amazing parts in it, but Chris' songs kinda ruin it... So sorry to say this Chris... Without them it would be:

1. OOS

2. T2L

3. BH&R

4. Absolution

5. Showbiz

6. TR

but I still love Showbiz and TR

1) Origin

2) BHaR/T2L

3) Abso

4) TR

5) Showbiz

It's a tough call between TR and Showbiz. Without Exo I think TR would definitely be bottom. Abso has fewer shit songs than BHaR/T2L but I think the really good songs from T2L/BHaR make them better albums than Abso which has really good songs, but also very mediocre songs like TIRO, ToaDA.

1. Origin of Symmetry

I mean: have you even listened to the album? Every song is amazing, there isn't one which I always skip or something, all the songs are just amazing with great guitar solo's, cool piano things and everything. And the B-side is futurism, and that's definitely one of my favorite B-sides, if not one of my favorite songs by Muse.

2. Absolution

There are some songs on the album better than the songs of OoS, but some less too. I mean: I'm totally in love with apocalypse please, time is running out, hysteria, the small print, endlessly, thougts of a dying atheist and ruled by secrecy, but I find falling away with you just a tiny bit less than the rest. Also, fury is a great B-side.

3. Showbiz

The riffs and the guitar solos and everything is just so pure and raw, and sunburn is just delightful. For sure one of my favorite songs all-time, especially with the clip it's just perfect. Same goes for uno. I also really love showbiz, cave and unintended, and I don't really get why people can hate overdue. I mean: I personally think it's great. A bit chaotic to say so, but really great. The songs of absolution and origin are just a tiny bit better.

4. Black Holes and Revelations

I really love how the awesomeness of this songs are like... yeah. Awesome. Every song is so different and the order of the tracks is genius, really genius. I mean: it's just some sort of journey through awesome music, and as I love every song except for soldier's poem a lot of this album, I think it's really great. I mean: take a bow, starlight, map of the problematique, hoodoo (especially live), exo-politics and especially knights of Cydonia are just amazing. Really amazing.

5. The Resistance

I don't understand how you can possibly dislike this album, I really love every single track. The album is just a bit different from the rest, but isn't every album a lot different of the rest, actually? Think about it. OoS doesn't sound a bit like either Showbiz or Absolution, especially not like BHaR. Soo... yeah. MK ultra, Unnatural Selection, Uprising, Resistance, Exogenesis 123, I belong to you (asdfghjkl his French is so adorable), yeah.

6. I also love 2nd law a lot, yeah.

The question is "Best album", not my favourite one.. So:

1Origin of Symmetry

2Absolution

3Black Holes & Revelations

4The 2nd Law

5The Resistance

6Showbiz

Inb4 "OoS has the best compositions, the deepest lyrics and the most emotional vocals"

Archived