What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

Before I start, I know this is all opinions and some people's posts depend on their mood at the time or what they're in to at the time etc. But in regards to the overall quality, constancy and flow of all their albums, I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone is putting T2L in front of albums such as OoS, Abso or BH&R. For me, most of those albums contain quality material, which I think is only brought down by one or two songs (at most). In terms of quality of songs on T2L, I'd say Supremacy, Panic Station, Animals and Isolated System are the only tracks that are on the same level or better than their previous albums. And what's with the hate for Showbiz? (I'm only seeing 1 terrible song on it, Overdue), the rest is great for a first album.

Before I start, I know this is all opinions and some people's posts depend on their mood at the time or what they're in to at the time etc. But in regards to the overall quality, constancy and flow of all their albums, I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone is putting T2L in front of albums such as OoS, Abso or BH&R. For me, most of those albums contain quality material, which I think is only brought down by one or two songs (at most). In terms of quality of songs on T2L, I'd say Supremacy, Panic Station, Animals and Isolated System are the only tracks that are on the same level or better than their previous albums. And what's with the hate for Showbiz? (I'm only seeing 1 terrible song on it, Overdue), the rest is great for a first album.

I don't like Absolution much because I find a fair amount of it quite bland, the production isn't great and the flow isn't there either. While the production and flow are issues on other albums as well, how much I enjoy the actual songs usually makes up for that. There's just nothing that makes me want to listen to it, while the other albums (bar The Resistance) draw me to want to listen to them.

Opinions, yeah. Do you not like Unsustainable then?

Opinions, yeah. Do you not like Unsustainable then?

I do, but I think it could've been better with a variation on the last chorus, instead of the lazy copy/paste. Also the ending sounds rushed. I'd like it more as the album opener, and it works pretty well as a concert opener.

I'd say Supremacy, Madness, Panic Station, Survival, Follow Me, Animals, Liquid State, Unsustainable and Isolated System are all fantastic tracks, on the same level of their best songs in the previous albums. Explorers, Big Freeze and Save Me are still good. I can't find a track I really dislike on this album.

The only other Muse album without tracks I dislike is Origin of Symmetry. That's why T2L is for me their 2nd best album.

And there's no "hate" for Showbiz. I actually think that it's a bit overrated here. It has some truly amazing tracks, especially for being a debut album, but it has some really bad songs too (which is totally understandable).

everyone see's things differently, but agree with musekiddo and personally dont have T2L as one of my top favorite albums. Certainly some songs are great but as an album, it doesnt really cut it for me. i personally have:

Absolution and OoS tied first

BH&R 2nd

Equal third is The Resistance and Showbiz

and lastly T2L

i find it hard to separate Absolution and OoS in terms of preference, both are excellent albums, BH&R has grown on me a lot and finally, TR and Showbiz are still better than T2L as albums

Well thats my view

I'd say Supremacy, Madness, Panic Station, Survival, Follow Me, Animals, Liquid State, Unsustainable and Isolated System are all fantastic tracks, on the same level of their best songs in the previous albums. Explorers, Big Freeze and Save Me are still good. I can't find a track I really dislike on this album.

The only other Muse album without tracks I dislike is Origin of Symmetry. That's why T2L is for me their 2nd best album.

And there's no "hate" for Showbiz. I actually think that it's a bit overrated here. It has some truly amazing tracks, especially for being a debut album, but it has some really bad songs too (which is totally understandable).

I agree about Survival, forgot about it. Disagree about Showbiz being overrated though, no ones's putting it near the top of their lists really.

"I understand that some peoples opinions differ from mine, but I can't understand that some people's opinions differ from mine"

what you just wrote

"I understand that some peoples opinions differ from mine, but I can't understand that some people's opinions differ from mine"

what you just wrote

+"In my opinion this is the right opinion. Of course it's all opinions but..."

what you just wrote

I wasn't going to have that 'opinions are different' at the start, but if I didn't, everyone would just say how closed minded I was and they'd point out that my opinion doesn't mean it's right etc. I still don't get how people can have T2L 2nd or 3rd (or 1st) on their lists.

I'd have to say Absolution is my favorite.. :happy: I think structurally it is a lot more sound than Origin of Symmetry (which I would consider my second favourite) although I do love the craziness, Absolution has a lovely order to it. The songs are amazing and I love the apocalyptic theme..Absolution just wins for me.

Least favourite... Think I'd go for The Resistance, Not that I dislike it I just find it lacks in certain aspects... It feels like there is something missing.. :$ Although I do love MK Ultra.. I think it's a banging tune! :)

I'd have to say Absolution is my favorite.. :happy: I think structurally it is a lot more sound than Origin of Symmetry (which I would consider my second favourite) although I do love the craziness, Absolution has a lovely order to it. The songs are amazing and I love the apocalyptic theme..Absolution just wins for me.

Least favourite... Think I'd go for The Resistance, Not that I dislike it I just find it lacks in certain aspects... It feels like there is something missing.. :$ Although I do love MK Ultra.. I think it's a banging tune! :)

I like the chaotic structure of Origin, because it's like they're saying the origin of symmetry is chaos. Order rises out of disorder.

Been looking at the Metacritic scores for the last 4 Muse albums (Origin and Showbiz aren't there).

Absolution:

Critic Score: 72

Positive Reviews: 11

Mixed: 3

Negative: 2

User Score: 85

Black Holes & Revelations:

Critic Score: 75

Positive Reviews: 22

Mixed: 9

Negative: 2

User Score: 87

The Resistance:

Critic Score: 72

Positive Reviews: 15

Mixed: 7

Negative: 1

User Score: 82

The 2nd Law

Critic Score: 70

Positive Reviews: 17

Mixed Reviews: 12

Negative Reviews: 0

User Score: 65 (will probably change when da fangirlz pounce)

Some neat things in there. The 2nd Law having no negative reviews was interesting (although it did have a few reviews that were very close to negative). It also had a high score (from a critic) of 92 whereas the highest score that TR received from a critic was 82. The 2nd Law also received around ten 80's. Pretty much shows that critics like it but don't love it. Same thing seems to apply for The Resistance except as previously stated it also has some negative reviews thrown into the mix.

Absolution received two 100's and three 90's yet also received a 30 and a 20. Black Holes received four 100's and four 90's, with a low mark of 33 from "The A.V Club" which also gave Absolution a 30.

The averages for each album (from critics) amount to "generably favourable reviews" and from fans "critical acclaim" for each album except for The 2nd Law (but as I said I expect that to change).

"So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth"

This seems to very much so apply to The Resistance and The 2nd Law. They will not be remembered for being catastrophic failures yet they also will not be remembered for being massive successes (save some standalone tracks). For Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations they were praised and loved by many, absolutely hated by a few and will be remembered.

All this to say nothing about Muse's best album.

• 3 weeks later...
I really can't vote! I don't know what's the best album, I love them all and they are so different... everyone has its peculiarity and beauty!

It IS really hard. I think it's T2L, but then I think of Bliss, CE and NB and then it's OoS. But then I think about Butterflies and Hurricanes, Hysteria and AP and then it's Absolution. BUT then I think of TaB, Starlight and CoD and then its BH&R. Showbiz has great tracks too! I have changed my mind several times. It's impossible.

EDIT: The funniest thing is that in the poll I voted TR, and this didn't even figure in my post :$ I love USoE, Exo and Uprising on that! I will say that TR isn't my favourite anymore though.

It IS really hard. I think it's T2L, but then I think of Bliss, CE and NB and then it's OoS. But then I think about Butterflies and Hurricanes, Hysteria and AP and then it's Absolution. BUT then I think of TaB, Starlight and CoD and then its BH&R. Showbiz has great tracks too! I have changed my mind several times. It's impossible.

Showbiz has MM, Sunburn and Showbiz... please, don't be mean to Showbiz....

Even TR has Exogenesis and MK Ultra :ninja:

Muse music is pure beauty :happy:

Oh your edit :chuckle:

Noooo, I agree about Showbiz too - those songs you quoted plus Unintended and Falling Down and UNO!!! See, I can't choose.

And I edited my edit too.

Yeah, the thing was that you listed 3 songs for OoS, Abso and BH&R, but not for Showbiz :happy: It's ok.

And yeah, I don't even think that TR is that bad at all... It actually is quite good, just not for Muse measures

Archived