What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

Origin of Symmetry >>> The Resistance > Absolution > Black Holes and Revelations > Hullabaloo > Showbiz

In other words, OOS way out in front and then the other's pretty tied and able to often change around. At the moment that's the order i'd put them in anyway, even though I have more gripes with Absolution than Showbiz (which is still a damn good album).

Sad to see Showbiz consistently rated last...

I love the raw sound of the album and the pure emotion of many of the songs...

As for favorite album, I have a different favorite all the time, so I guess I like all of them equally.

They each "speak" to me in a different way.

:)

Did you like the middle 8 in Unnatural Selection? That bit, particular the trail of the solo, made me think that Muse REALLY need to do a lo-fi record like Showbiz again. I think they're even better at the raw sounding songs.

I'm not going to bother voting cause I haven't heard anything from The Resistance yet except for USoE. But I will say my favorites.

1. Absolution.

This album I had gotten some time after BHAR and is the one album that would make or break Muse for me. Needless to say I ended up listening to it as a whole when I was bored and decided it was a make, not being able to believe that I didnt hear it earlier. Absolutely amazing with a grandoise nature. Its not as rocky as OoS, but what it lacks for at that point it makes up in its ridiculous epicness. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

2. Black Holes and Revelations

Pretty obviously my first Muse album since it only dragged my attention thanks to a spin with Knights of Cydonia on Guitar Hero 3. Needless to say I was interested. This album really has a place in my heart for being the album getting me into Muse. Memorables such as Take A Bow, Map of the Problematique and Invincible are still stuck in my head and I always hum along with them while listening to the songs. A bit overproduced for its own good, perhaps more down-to-earth in nature, but it works, and it's grown on me overtime. In fact I think this album is really underappreciated in the Muse community, even though Exo-Politics and Assassin were drastically changed from live sessions which I only learned a year later, thankfully not to the point where it made them unbearable.

3. Origin of Symmetry

I'm going to get alot of hate for this one, I just know it, but sorry. OoS is amazingly overrated to the point that I'll probably regret writing this, but if you calm down with your fanboy instincts, it doesn't mean that it's a bad album. On the contrary its good, very memorable. Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased and Darkshines are still as good as ever and Bliss still remains my favorite Muse track of all time. This album rivaled Absolution as my favorite Muse album for a while but it hasn't aged the best way for me. Ironically making it more rocky and less grand than Absolution makes it feel like the slightly cheesier one out of Absolution and Origin of Symmetry what with the Showbiz angst-rock instincts still being intact. Cheesy in a different way. Screenager also sounds like a B-Side I'd expect on Hullabaloo.

4. Showbiz

Again not a bad album but I never liked much of Muse's angsty-rock stages. Sunburn, Fillip, Escape, Showbiz and Hate This & I'll Love You are highlights. But maybe it's cause I have too much of a history with this album that I've managed to relate, reflected mostly upon Muscle Museum, Uno and Unintended, making me almost constantly feel like shit whenever I hear those. Hyper Music and Hyper Chondriac Music from OoS and Hullabaloo count to those categories of "good but unhearable" to me.

Hullabaloo would probably be between OoS and Showbiz but I'm not counting it cause its B-Sides.

I'll vote when I hear The Resistance.

I think OoS is over-rated. It's a great album but doesn't deserve the god like status it gets.

Newborn, piano intro is too long, great riff but the rest of the song is just waiting around for the riff again at the end.

Bliss is amazing yes,

Space dementia is brilliant too.

Hyper music, nice riff, but if they wrote it now it'd get slated.

Plug in baby, good riff again, the rest of the song is decent enough.

Citizen erased it genius yes,

Microcuts, another decent track but not spectacular on the album.

Screenager is a nice song. musically one of the best tracks on here.

Darkshines is another decent track but i don't think it comes across very strong on the album.

Feeling good, it's ok but it shouldn't even be on there.

Megalomania, yep great song and a good closer.

So by my count that's 5 tracks that are great and a load of average ones. Yes the production is good, it sounds raw and edgy. They aren't 20 anymore though and it wouldn't suit their more mature style that they have now in my opinion.

I've voted The Resistance, I think it's got their best song writing and it's definitely their most complete album. Although a few more tracks would have been nice!

Provisionally:

1. Origin of Symmetry - riffs and piano! This is what I like about Muse. The last 4 songs aren't on the same level as the 7 songs preceding it, but it winds down towards a chilling climax in Megalomainia

2. Absolution - More polished than Origin of Symmetry but I feel it has one too many slow songs. Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome are two of the best songs Muse have ever done and Ruled By Secrecy is chilling but having Sing For Absolution, Falling Away With You, Black Out and Endlessly all on the same CD is a bit too much, I'm also not fond of Thoughts of a Dying Aethiest. Fury would have fitted superbly into this album.

3. The Resistance - This album is just so utterly bonkers its incredible. I'm not sure how it will fare once the novelty wears off but it has 5 incredible tracks in Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra and the Exogenesis parts. Resistance intro is one of the most beautiful things Muse have ever written. Again, Riffs+Piano = win.

4. Showbiz - For a debut album this showcases Muse's potential. Sure some of the songs are a bit poor and the lyrics are a bit embarrassing at times, but the fact Sunburn, Muscle Museum and Showbiz can still stand up in the live shows and the latter two being quite a big deal when they do appear is credit to how good this album actually is. Good to see Cave is being reworked hopefully for a more regular slot in the new tour. Hate This and I'll Love You is such a brilliant closer too.

5. Black Holes and Revelations - Had so much promise but just fails to deliver. Muse's most frustrating album. Assassin is butchered from how it could have turned out and the irritating bleeps detracts from the overall song, Invincible is so slow to get going and has such cheesy lyrics its a struggle to listen to, Soldiers Poem seems utterly pointless, Exo-Politics is bland, middle of the road stuff that would be better as a b-side. Starlight is too simple and gets boring far too quickly. Supermassive Black Hole is fun but not a style i'd like to see repeated. Knights of Cydonia seems to have been excessively toned down for the studio version. Other than these criticisms the rest of the album is decent. I particularly enjoy Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, City of Delusion and Hoodoo

At the moment it goes OoS (just), Absolution, Showbiz & BH&R, it's too early to say where The Resistance stands.

I chose Origin of Symmetry as my favourite album, simply because I think it's the bands best piece of work. The album flows brilliantly and has some stunning tracks on it, including my favourite Muse song (Citizen Erased). It's an almost perfect album, however Feeling Good is one track which I really can't stand, it has nothing on Futurism. :D

Absolution comes an extremely close second and quite often changes place at the top with OoS. I hate using the word epic but it is, theres only two tracks I dislike on the album (SFA, Endlessly). But tracks like SS, Blackout and B&H are fantastic pieces of music which I can listen to again and again. Even though OoS is number one at the moment, I think Absolution is the album I have listened to the most from start to finish.

First, I think a lot of the emotion has gone out of their music, which is why I think there are so many "I love Absolution and OoS" people (like myself).

I agree. I love Absolution because the emotions are so raw and the songs are so personal yet epic and wonderful at the same time. I could listen to the album from start to finish without ever thinking about skipping a track. I think those qualities have faded in BHaR and The Resistance.

It's still Origin Of Symmetry for me. I'm not saying it is a perfect album but it flows well, has a range of dynamics, showcases pretty much all of their musical talent really well, and has character. I know you could say the same of Absolution but I prefer Origin because the songs are slightly better than those on Absolution.

The Resistance, for me, goes under these two. Slap bang in the middle.

It's still Origin Of Symmetry for me. I'm not saying it is a perfect album but it flows well, has a range of dynamics, showcases pretty much all of their musical talent really well, and has character. I know you could say the same of Absolution but I prefer Origin because the songs are slightly better than those on Absolution.

The Resistance, for me, goes under these two. Slap bang in the middle.

Pretty much how I feel, but I decided to write an essay :LOL:

OoS is still their best album in my opinion. It's one of the greatest rock albums of all time, so for The Resistance to beat it was always going to be a huge task. I'll put it on a par with Absolution, but as many have said - it's a bit too early to say. Once the hype dies down, we'll see if I still feel the same in a month :)

1. OoS

2= The Resistance

2= Absolution

4. BHaR

5. Showbiz

If you listen to Absolution, then The Resistance it's staggering how different the two albums are. Both of them are superb in their own rights, which is why it's quite difficult to rank albums when a band is continually evolving. :)

Archived