What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?  

1,471 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Muse Album?

For me, the difference between Absolution, Origin Of Symmetry and The Resistance are infinitesimally small, but my order would be...

1. Absolution - 9.5/10

Pros:

- Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome and Hysteria, three of Muse's most arse-kicking songs to date.

- Flow, Absolution whilst having its ups and downs in song quality flows with magnificent ease.

Cons:

- Sing For Absolution, turgid, dreary and saved only by Matt's wailing in the last chorus.

- Blackout, The Small Print and Endlessly do tend to test my patience.

2. Origin Of Symmetry - 9.3/10

Pros:

- New Born, Muse's best song to date both in the studio and live.

- Plenty of variety whilst keeping similar lyrical and musical themes running through each track.

Cons:

- Feeling Good, it wrecks OoS. As a ten track album minus Feeling Good, OoS would get 11/10 from me.

3. The Resistance - 9.2/10

Pros:

- Madness.

- Concept

- Symphonic tendencies.

- Incredibly strong array of choruses.

- Exogenesis.

- Clarinet.

Cons:

- Slight lack of 'WOWZORS' moments.

- Queen pastiches getting a little tiresome.

- Beef could have been added to a couple of songs.

4. Showbiz - 7/10

Pros:

- Raw.

- Great songs for such an early stage of their career, Sunburn, Muscle Museum and Showbiz in particular.

Cons:

- Inconsistent quality of songwriting shown up to a much greater degree than the three albums above, Sober, Escape and Overdue are very average.

5. Black Holes & Revelations - 5/10

Pros:

- Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique and City Of Delusion.

Cons:

- Starlight, Soldier's Poem, Invincible and Exo-Politics are all abysmal songs.

- The production/mastering is atrocious making the album physically difficult to listen to.

- Cheese upon cheese upon cheese.

- Songs performed prior to the album's release were butched in the studio, Assassin in particular suffered a slow, painful death.

- No warmth, emotion of feeling from any of the songs, even the better songs on the album as mentioned above.

Favourite has to be Origin Of Symmetry as like all of the tracks on it are fucking genius and raw and epic sounding, its followed closely by absolution which is in my opinion better produced and even more epic although not as raw as OoS, next is BH&R, I don't have a clue why people put it down as muses worst album, although its not as raw sounding as the earlier albums it has still got amazing songs on it, with invincible and map of the problematique being among my favourite muse songs, next is showbiz just for the fact it was the beginning for muse and paved the way for OoS, had some amazing songs on it too with cave, sunburn and showbiz being my favourites of them, last is the resistance, the reason why it is last on my list as it has lost quite a bit of the emotional sound to it and matt's voice has went from a chilling falsetto brilliance to lower pitched voice which kind of dulls down the music and makes it less epic sounding, the although I must say the exogenesis symphony has to be one of the most haunting and chilling pieces of epicness I have ever heard, shame it seems out of place in the album imo, the songs resistance, mk ultra and unnatural selection are brilliant as well but the lack of falsetto on the album means it doesn't appeal to me as much as muses earlier releases.

Still all of these albums are amazing in their own ways, but that's just muse for you.

For me, the difference between Absolution, Origin Of Symmetry and The Resistance are infinitesimally small, but my order would be...

1. Absolution - 9.5/10

Pros:

- Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome and Hysteria, three of Muse's most arse-kicking songs to date.

- Flow, Absolution whilst having its ups and downs in song quality flows with magnificent ease.

Cons:

- Sing For Absolution, turgid, dreary and saved only by Matt's wailing in the last chorus.

- Blackout, The Small Print and Endlessly do tend to test my patience.

2. Origin Of Symmetry - 9.3/10

Pros:

- New Born, Muse's best song to date both in the studio and live.

- Plenty of variety whilst keeping similar lyrical and musical themes running through each track.

Cons:

- Feeling Good, it wrecks OoS. As a ten track album minus Feeling Good, OoS would get 11/10 from me.

3. The Resistance - 9.2/10

Pros:

- Madness.

- Concept

- Symphonic tendencies.

- Incredibly strong array of choruses.

- Exogenesis.

- Clarinet.

Cons:

- Slight lack of 'WOWZORS' moments.

- Queen pastiches getting a little tiresome.

- Beef could have been added to a couple of songs.

4. Showbiz - 7/10

Pros:

- Raw.

- Great songs for such an early stage of their career, Sunburn, Muscle Museum and Showbiz in particular.

Cons:

- Inconsistent quality of songwriting shown up to a much greater degree than the three albums above, Sober, Escape and Overdue are very average.

5. Black Holes & Revelations - 5/10

Pros:

- Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique and City Of Delusion.

Cons:

- Starlight, Soldier's Poem, Invincible and Exo-Politics are all abysmal songs.

- The production/mastering is atrocious making the album physically difficult to listen to.

- Cheese upon cheese upon cheese.

- Songs performed prior to the album's release were butched in the studio, Assassin in particular suffered a slow, painful death.

- No warmth, emotion of feeling from any of the songs, even the better songs on the album as mentioned above.

Wow, your really cruel towards BHaR.

It's still early days. I've only listened to the record 20 times, but I can safely say:

- it will definitely not top OOS

- it will very likely not top Absolution

- it flows better than BH&R and has less cheesy songs

- BH&R seems to have (apart from Exogenesis) better individual songs though: MOTP, TAB, COD, KOC

- Guiding light will likely be my least favorite Muse song of any LP

- The vocals in Exo Part 1 send shivers down my spine :yesey:

Along with the butchering, some of the songs on BHaR sound so much better live than recorded, i.e. Supermassive, Knights................Assassin being butchered plus this, plus cheese, plus Exo-Politics being absolutely dull and dire make it the worst Muse album for frustration alone.

Even with Feeling Good on it, i'd still rate OoS higher than Absolution, glad to see i'm not the only person who doesn't like Blackout

Along with the butchering, some of the songs on BHaR sound so much better live than recorded, i.e. Supermassive, Knights................Assassin being butchered plus this, plus cheese, plus Exo-Politics being absolutely dull and dire make it the worst Muse album for frustration alone.

Even with Feeling Good on it, i'd still rate OoS higher than Absolution, glad to see i'm not the only person who doesn't like Blackout

I'd rate OoS above absolution anyway, not sure why, I could say because it has CE but that would sound hollow and typical.

i can not say i love this album more than that album. But with The Resistance i am tempted to say that this one is probably their best album. I think it is brilliant. Even tho there is one track on it i don not like so much.

It is too early to say tho, that this is my number one.

I don't think Absolution has as much scope as either The Resistance or BH&R. It follows a very similar theme throughout and the tracks aren't wildly different from each other, with the exception of Endlessly.

That is true, I agree with this. I feel what it does it does pretty well though. It could be said that Muse need some of the focus they had with this record.

I agree.

I hope to god they don't do another UD on the next album. Can that be it please?

heard a worrying interview with matt saying he'd like to try out more of stuff like that.. i've said it before and i'll say it again, if i want R&B i'll go listen to some.. muse + R&B = just not the best..

That is true, I agree with this. I feel what it does it does pretty well though. It could be said that Muse need some of the focus they had with this record.

I fully agree. No album flows as well as those opening 10 tracks on Absolution and the heavy/light balance exagerates the strengths of all each song.

Archived