Unnatural Selection v New Born

Jimmyneutron

New Born for me every day of the week, I just love the piano intro.

The lasers accompanying it on the Resistance tour were one of the best things I have ever seen live.

However I wish Matt would not muck around with the solo so much like at the Den.

The version on the Absolution DVD is my favourite because it has the best solo.

US was amazing at LCCC and the riff at the end is fantastic, I wish they would do a 2 minute version of that instead of some of the other jams/riffs they do.

What lets US down is the overlong slow middle bit, but it is still one of my fave songs on The Resistance.

and definately not new born because if you have seen that one live you would have chosen that one!!!!

it's one of their best songs live

But US is better live than NB is. I've seen both, in the same show, and Unnatural Selection is MILES better live. New Born has died as a live song since Matt stopped playing the intro.

Can I also say, Unnatural Selection as a song AND live.

New Born live is over-rated, with or without Matt playing the intro.

It adds to the feel and the atmosphere and the general pop but it really doesn't/shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Unnatural Selection should stay in the setlists ahead of Eurasia, Uprising, Resistance AND UD. Only MK Ultra beats it as a song on TR.

Personally I love both songs for differing reasons and it'd be hard to choose one over the other.

I love New Born for it's relentless drive and the main riff. I think my real appreciation for the song came once I'd got into writing my own music..I came to realise how hard it is to keep that kind of intensity going for that amount of time without it becoming sterile. In a way it shows you what you can do with a little by way of one general theme.

Unnatural Selection is probably the song that engages me more because it has so many contrasting feels and moods packed into space of time it occupies and it's done in such a well arranged manner, and has a real cohesive flow to it. I think if I was given those seperate themes, feels, sections or whatever you want to call them! and told to arrange them well into a song then I'd struggle....which is why them guys are doing what they're doing and I ain't aha :LOL:

Firmly sat on the fence,

Kev

New Born definitely. Unnatural Selection just doesn't cut it for me unfortunately.

I would have to say New Born is the better track live. As soon as the guitar kicks in it really gets a reception, and US just doesn't work as well IMO.

Also, US live is extremely 'in your face' from the moment the guitar starts, i never felt the breakdown was too long (and the guitar sounds during the breakdown are AMAZING), but by the end of the song i have one of the worst headaches imaginable :p

Unnatural selection. New born has a better chorus, but unnatural selection is so much more instrumental in relaying the theme of The Resistance. The guitar is about the same, and they both have slow parts that you are supposed to fastforward through.

A better debate would be bliss and resistance.

New Born. Live and on record, even without Matt playing the intro, NB wins.

US is good, and I like it better live than on CD, but the "I want the truth!!" as a line annoys me. It even annoys me more than the "birth squeeze", which i find one of the most cringe-worthy muse lyrics.

I like the "oooOOoocean", but NSC has sorta tainted that :$

It's like choosing between the Mona Lisa and a poorly done Chinese copy of it.

Where NB = Mona Lisa.

i find it sad that you felt that needed clarification :erm:

Unnatural selection. New born has a better chorus, but unnatural selection is so much more instrumental in relaying the theme of The Resistance. The guitar is about the same, and they both have slow parts that you are supposed to fastforward through.

bliss vs resistance? No contest. Bliss by a mile or two... or 10million.... :yesey:

If you mean "better" as in "easier" then yes, because that is a very easy debate to conclude.

Bliss is one of Muse's shining beacons, one of their masterworks live. Resistance... isn't.

Archived